Poland bans drunk cyclists from riding

Old August 2nd 13, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Poland bans drunk cyclists from riding

In Poland, you can find yourself in prison if the police catch you cycling
with a blood alcohol concentration above a mere 0.5 mg/ml.

Wither you have committed an offence or a crime, you will be sent to trial.
In practice, judges rarely send cyclists straight to prison. In most cases,
they are fined heavily (several thousand zloty) or granted probation. The
nasty catch is that, under Polish law, a judge must ban a convicted cyclist
from riding for at least half a year. Breaching this ban is often harshly
punished. If you hap- pen to be caught breaking a cycling ban - even if you
are perfectly sober - you will face up to three years in prison. In 2012,
more than two thousand people in Poland were sentenced to prison time for
breaching a court ban on cycling, and there were as many as five thousand
inmates serving prison term for the same crime - significantly more than the
number serving time for drink driving.

Perhaps harmonisation of laws will mean that we will too? Perhaps not
though since there is talk of the drunk cycling law being revoked.

http://www.krakowpost.com/article/6829

Old August 2nd 13, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 02/08/2013 19:51, Mrcheerful wrote:
In Poland, you can find yourself in prison if the police catch you cycling
with a blood alcohol concentration above a mere 0.5 mg/ml.

Wither you have committed an offence or a crime, you will be sent to trial.

Surely if there's a blood alcohol limit of 0.5 mg/ml, anyone who has a
higher level in their blood *has* committed an offence?

Old August 2nd 13, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

JNugent wrote:
On 02/08/2013 19:51, Mrcheerful wrote:
In Poland, you can find yourself in prison if the police catch you
cycling with a blood alcohol concentration above a mere 0.5 mg/ml.

Wither you have committed an offence or a crime, you will be sent to
trial.

Surely if there's a blood alcohol limit of 0.5 mg/ml, anyone who has a
higher level in their blood *has* committed an offence?

Poorly written article (bloody foreigners)
The blood alcohol concentration limit for drivers (and cyclists) in Poland
is 0.2 mg/ml. A level between 0.2 and 0.5 mg/ml constitutes an offence
(wykroczenie), punishable with a fine of up to 5,000 zloty. A blood alcohol
concentration of 0.5 or above is a crime (przeste?pstwo) and can land you in
prison for a year whether you are caught riding a bicycle or driving a
40-tonne truck.

http://www.krakowpost.com/article/6829

Old August 3rd 13, 05:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_10_]

[...]

Jesus! I nearly fell of my bike while I was reading that on my phone.
Worse still, I nearly dropped the can of beer that I was holding in my
other hand.
Old August 3rd 13, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
davethedave[_2_]

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 05:09:39 +0100, Brian Robertson wrote:

http://www.krakowpost.com/article/6829

Jesus! I nearly fell of my bike while I was reading that on my phone.
Worse still, I nearly dropped the can of beer that I was holding in my
other hand.

There are simple solutions to all of your problems

http://www.etsy.com/listing/49965950/bicycle-can-cage

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ipad-bike-mount

--
davethedave
Old August 3rd 13, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"Brian Robertson" wrote in message
Perhaps harmonisation of laws will mean that we will too? Perhaps not
though since there is talk of the drunk cycling law being revoked.

http://www.krakowpost.com/article/6829

Jesus! I nearly fell of my bike while I was reading that on my phone.
Worse still, I nearly dropped the can of beer that I was holding in my
other hand.

Wow, I'd pay a thousand quid to see wit like that on a West End stage and
here you are giving it to us for free. We are so blessed.