cyclist holding up traffic

Old August 2nd 13, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default cyclist holding up traffic

On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 22:19:52 +0100, Judith
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 14:30:41 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

snip

And idea of what car might be suitable for my needs.

Have you considered three tandems with trailers?

Perhaps one of these:
http://www.esr.bg/bb.htm

A snip at 9,990 Euros.
Old August 2nd 13, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Judith wrote:
On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 14:30:41 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

snip

I also need to be able to take up to six adults as passengers in the
car when I do the lucrative airport run for guests staying at one of
our holiday apartments.

No doubt you will claim that that is covered by your fridge freezer
insurance.

Yes, I hope he has 'hire or reward' cover on his household policy

Old August 2nd 13, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 02/08/2013 22:19, Judith wrote:

Bertie Wooster wrote:

snip

And idea of what car might be suitable for my needs.

Have you considered three tandems with trailers?

Now come on, TC... admit it...

That was FUNNY!
Old August 3rd 13, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

Rob Morley wrote:

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 10:49:28 +0100
(Roger Merriman) wrote:

Mrcheerful wrote:

snips

Even if my shopping was entirely strong spirits, no-one has yet
explained how it would be viable for me to collect it using a
bicycle.

fairly sure folks have pointed out options, this said if we're
getting a weekly shop we either get a delivery or drive to the local
supermarket, normal bikes are fine for bits a bobs, I do pick up
catfood, and maybe a few other things, which fit fine in the bag.

doing a large weekly shop by bike does tend to require either a number
of trips or stuff like trailers and what not.

I used to do a main weekly shop for two people and various beasts on my
trusty Holdsworth tourer - big panniers on the back, small panniers on
the front, light bulky stuff on the rear rack and maybe something in the
bar bag too. So luggage as for a serious camping tour, except the tins
and bottles made it heavier, but no problem getting it home including a
steep hill (89m in 2km apparently).

I find it's the bulky items that are awkward so things like big boxes of
washing powder etc. weight isn't much of a issue as such you just end up
rather slower off the mark.

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old August 3rd 13, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

Rob Morley" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 14:50:45 +0100
(Roger Merriman) wrote:

I find it's the bulky items that are awkward so things like big boxes
of washing powder etc.

A couple of bungees on the rear rack. I find stuff like bread is a
problem, because unlike kitchen/loo roll it doesn't like being squashed
- often I just tie a plastic carrier bag to the back of the saddle, so
it can sit loosely on the rack.

weight isn't much of a issue as such you just
end up rather slower off the mark.

You have to be careful with wobble if it's a skinny frame - a big load
on the back can twist the frame if you apply much force to the
handlebar, which can interfere with stability if you let it build up
into an oscillation. So start smoothly in low gear and don't go too
fast, don't hit potholes ...

For goodness sake Rob, why don't you just get it delivered or use a car to
do the weekly shop? I go shopping for groceries once a week which involves
driving 7 miles each way to the nearest supermarket. I also use the journey
to get things from other retailers at the same time. If we run out of fresh
items during the week, we walk to the local grocers which although
expensive, is convenient. No way would I bother going out of my way to use
a bicycle to transport anything more than a Mars bar and a newspaper.. It's
simply not convenient or practical unless you are determined to make your
life as difficult and time-consuming as possible.

Old August 3rd 13, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 21:09:41 +0100
"John Benn" wrote:

For goodness sake Rob, why don't you just get it delivered or use a
car to do the weekly shop? I go shopping for groceries once a week
which involves driving 7 miles each way to the nearest supermarket.
I also use the journey to get things from other retailers at the same
time. If we run out of fresh items during the week, we walk to the
local grocers which although expensive, is convenient. No way would
I bother going out of my way to use a bicycle to transport anything
more than a Mars bar and a newspaper.. It's simply not convenient or
practical unless you are determined to make your life as difficult
and time-consuming as possible.

Why don't I do it the way that suits you? Because I do it the way that
suits me.

Old August 4th 13, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

(Roger Merriman) wrote:

[...]

You could consider the 30 minutes each way as an hour spent in the
gym.
Old August 4th 13, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

(Roger Merriman) wrote:

[...]

Gyms are equally-tedious. I get my exercise hiking, caving and exploring
the countryside.