London cyclist mows down an MP

Old June 19th 14, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default London cyclist mows down an MP

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 20:17:04 +0100, Nick wrote:

snip

I'm not sure this is case of failure to give way as I suspect the
pedestrian was not visible.

I see - the cyclists ran in to an invisible pedestrian. Thanks for clearing
that up for us.

Old June 19th 14, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:54:08 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:51:41 +0100, Mrcheerful
wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

From the report, it sounds as if the MP was jaywalking and was hit by
a cyclist filtering past stationary motor vehicles.

I see that very biased anti-cyclist web page
(http://road.cc/content/news/121478-l...es-him-bruised)
has a different point of view:

It is unclear whether the cyclist was riding through a red light at the time,
or whether Mr Perkins was crossing at a green pedestrian signal, although from
a subsequent exchange, the implication is that the rider ignored a traffic
signal.

Political commentator Owen Jones, author of the books Chavs and The
Establishment, leapt to the defence of the capital’s bike riders, and received
a reply from the MP which suggested the cyclist had ridden through a red light.

Mind you - I find it very difficult to believe that the cyclist had a total
disregard for the law.
Old June 20th 14, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

From the report, it sounds as if the MP was jaywalking and was hit by
a cyclist filtering past stationary motor vehicles.

I see that very biased anti-cyclist web page
(http://road.cc/content/news/121478-l...es-him-bruised)
has a different point of view:

It is unclear whether the cyclist was riding through a red light at the time,
or whether Mr Perkins was crossing at a green pedestrian signal, although from
a subsequent exchange, the implication is that the rider ignored a traffic
signal.

Political commentator Owen Jones, author of the books Chavs and The
Establishment, leapt to the defence of the capital’s bike riders, and received
a reply from the MP which suggested the cyclist had ridden through a red light.

Mind you - I find it very difficult to believe that the cyclist had a total
disregard for the law.

Of course, MPs are never evasive about facts, and are always honest
and straight talking.

I wonder how massive those bruises are...

And if the "knocking off the feet" means that he jumped backwards when
after he stepped into the road without looking.

Old June 20th 14, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

From the report, it sounds as if the MP was jaywalking and was hit by
a cyclist filtering past stationary motor vehicles.

Sorry, I must have read it all wrong. I read it as happening in London,
where "jaywalking" is perfectly acceptable. It must have happened in
America, where it is not:

Old June 20th 14, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

news

wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

From the report, it sounds as if the MP was jaywalking and was hit by
[...]

Oh, good. We now have a witness to the incident. At least, it sounds like
it - you wouldn't just be making your scenario up just to put the cyclist in
a favourable light, would you?

Old June 20th 14, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:51:41 +0100, Mrcheerful wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...esterfield-mp-

injured-after-being-knocked-over-by-cyclist-1-6683046

Perhaps your MP's are even more idiotic than ours? That is difficult,
but perhaps not impossible.
Old June 20th 14, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 18:04:58 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 19/06/2014 17:51, Mrcheerful wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...esterfield-mp-

injured-after-being-knocked-over-by-cyclist-1-6683046

To the extent that people are run down by cyclists every day, I'm sort
of glad that it was an MP on this occasion.

Perhaps now...

He was worrying about where his next vote was going to come from.
Old June 20th 14, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...esterfield-mp-

injured-after-being-knocked-over-by-cyclist-1-6683046

In an nutshell, as he said: "but so many I see will do anything to
prevent having to stop."

Yep - red traffic lights - pedestrians on crossings - how dare they
impede the progress of a cyclist.

Judging but the kind of person the average MP is I can understand it,
even though I don't condone it.
Old June 20th 14, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...esterfield-mp-

injured-after-being-knocked-over-by-cyclist-1-6683046

From the report, it sounds as if the MP was jaywalking and was hit by a
cyclist filtering past stationary motor vehicles.

I see that very biased anti-cyclist web page
(http://road.cc/content/news/121478-l...-after-london-

cyclist-leaves-him-bruised)
[...]

When dealing with an MP anything is in a "favorable light".
Old June 20th 14, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 19/06/2014 19:27, Nick wrote:

On 19/06/2014 18:53, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 19/06/2014 18:03, Nick wrote:
On 19/06/2014 17:51, Mrcheerful wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

Its not clear from this report why the MP was indignant.

Because vehicles, including bicycles need to take care to avoid running
down people or crashing into things. It is a basic tenet of road use.

Yes this is true and that duty of care should be scaled on the speed and
amount of damage the vehicle will cause if it does crash into something.

Why?

Doesn't it matter if a cyclist kills a pedestrian?

However it sounds very much like our MP stepped out into traffic from
behind a car without looking. So whilst our cyclist may bear some
culpability. I suspect our MP was crossing the road, close to but not at
a traffic light, very much in the spirit of "doing anything to prevent
having to stop". So one wonders if we are dealing with a hypocrite.

His words we "I’ve been knocked off my feet by a cyclist overtaking
static traffic at lights".

In London, that could mean almost anything and certainly doesn't have to
mean that the cyclist ran into him on the carriageway. He could have
been standing at a bus stop, right in the way of a cyclist seeking to
overtake "static traffic at lights".