'Backwards' bikes

Old March 2nd 08, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Scandrett[_2_]

Default 'Backwards' bikes

Hi

Just a random thought, really. I've never tried riding one, but those
backwards bikes you get as attractions at fairs/in places like Covent
Garden - why are they so (apparently) difficult to ride? Is it simply
that it's ingrained in everyone that to go right you turn the
handlbars/steering wheel right and the same with the left - and when
presented with everything swapped, your muscle memory and intuition is
thrown out of the window? I suppose it's like trying to learn to ride a
bike all over again...?

Can anyone here actually ride a backwards bike to any degree, or has
anyone had a go? What's it like?

Regards

Peter

--
http://www.scandrett.net/lx/
http://www.scandrett.net/bike/
Old March 2nd 08, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GeoffC

Peter Scandrett wrote:
Hi

Just a random thought, really. I've never tried riding one, but
those
backwards bikes you get as attractions at fairs/in places like
Covent
Garden - why are they so (apparently) difficult to ride? Is it
simply
that it's ingrained in everyone that to go right you turn the
handlbars/steering wheel right and the same with the left - and when
presented with everything swapped, your muscle memory and intuition
is
thrown out of the window? I suppose it's like trying to learn to
ride
a bike all over again...?

I would imagine it's like writing with your "other" hand.

--

Geoff

Old March 2nd 08, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 13:30:14 +0000, Peter Scandrett
wrote:

Hi

Just a random thought, really. I've never tried riding one, but those
backwards bikes you get as attractions at fairs/in places like Covent
Garden - why are they so (apparently) difficult to ride? Is it simply
that it's ingrained in everyone that to go right you turn the
handlbars/steering wheel right and the same with the left - and when
presented with everything swapped, your muscle memory and intuition is
thrown out of the window? I suppose it's like trying to learn to ride a
bike all over again...?

Can anyone here actually ride a backwards bike to any degree, or has
anyone had a go? What's it like?

I've ridden a bike where you have to pedal backwards to go forward. It
wasn't particularly difficult to ride.
Old March 2nd 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
salmon[_2_]

When I was a nipper in the early 60's, we used to ride our bikes
backwards by virtually sitting on the handlebars and pedalling
backwards. I should imagine the backwrads bike you are thinking of is
the one where the steering movements are mirrored/reversed. Natural
reactions just go out of the window.
Old March 2nd 08, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman

On Mar 2, 1:30 pm, Peter Scandrett wrote:
Can anyone here actually ride a backwards bike to any degree, or has
anyone had a go? What's it like?

Some people can. I saw one at a fair and the person running the stand
was riding it around to show how easy it was then inviting others to
have a go!

I think this would be a great way to get one up on any opportunistic
bike thief - in a similar way to having a fixed wheel bike.

peter
Old March 2nd 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
!Speedy Gonzales!

"Peter Scandrett" wrote in message
Can anyone here actually ride a backwards bike to any degree, or has
anyone had a go? What's it like?

Had a shot in Edinburgh once during the festival. Psyched myself up, left
hand means go right, left hand goes right etc, etc. Came off at the first
attempt. What really threw me was turning the handlebar the correct
direction but then 'leaning in' from the wrong side. This really upset the
balance of the bike and from then on in, basic instinct kicks in and you
panic!

--
!Speedy Gonzales!

Remove the SPAMTRAP to reply

Old March 2nd 08, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 02/03/2008 15:44, GeoffC wrote:
I would imagine it's like writing with your "other" hand.

I've heard that riding with your hands crossed can help.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis
Old March 2nd 08, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pob

"Peter Scandrett" wrote in message
Hi

Just a random thought, really. I've never tried riding one, but those
backwards bikes you get as attractions at fairs/in places like Covent
Garden - why are they so (apparently) difficult to ride?

http://ekib.xntrick.co.uk/

pOB

Old March 2nd 08, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin[_3_]

Danny Colyer wrote:
On 02/03/2008 15:44, GeoffC wrote:
I would imagine it's like writing with your "other" hand.

I've heard that riding with your hands crossed can help.

I've tried one at a festival (ride it 10 feet without putting your foot
down, win a tenner). Thought I was being clever by crossing my arms - it
didn't help at all!

Colin
Old March 3rd 08, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Danny Colyer wrote:
On 02/03/2008 15:44, GeoffC wrote:
I would imagine it's like writing with your "other" hand.

I've heard that riding with your hands crossed can help.

I've heard it can, and also that it doesn't...

For someone happy with no-hands riding (I'd guess Danny is a good
candidate...) that might be the way to go, as it takes the handlebars
out of the equation.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Backwards TheoELind Unicycling 10 January 19th 05 06:28 AM
backwards cranks, backwards riding ChangingLINKS.com Unicycling 7 December 22nd 04 04:34 PM
backwards reject_monkey Unicycling 8 July 14th 04 02:20 AM
I can go backwards! treepotato Unicycling 8 November 10th 03 03:35 PM
Backwards wheels? phil Unicycling 15 October 31st 03 01:10 AM