More carnage.

Old April 29th 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PoB

Default More carnage.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ed...-of.4031109.jp

A friend saw the accident happen this morning - he's only part time so I'll
ask him about it tomorrow.

The accident opposite the Kings Theatre I saw myself (school bus, the door
was locked with the kids inside), and it has been waiting in the wings for a
long time - the geometry of the corner is such that buses can't get round
without either swinging wide on Bruntsfield Place - busy road, not going to
happen, or by entering Gilmour Place wide and over the ASL, which is what
they normally do, literally bullying the cyclists waiting there out of the
way with engine revs and jerks - this one got it wrong. And yes, I have
repeatedly informed the local council about it - the police just said "not
our job mate, we just police things, ask the council" - my old councillor
promised to look into it, but lost his post (was deselected) in the last
election (which shows how long it's been an issue) and I've not heard from
the new incumbent.

Sorry for the waffle, bit perturbed by it all.

pOB

Old April 29th 08, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:24:44 +0100 someone who may be "PoB"
wrote this:-

The accident opposite the Kings Theatre I saw myself (school bus, the door
was locked with the kids inside), and it has been waiting in the wings for a
long time - the geometry of the corner is such that buses can't get round
without either swinging wide on Bruntsfield Place - busy road, not going to
happen, or by entering Gilmour Place wide and over the ASL, which is what
they normally do, literally bullying the cyclists waiting there out of the
way with engine revs and jerks - this one got it wrong. And yes, I have
repeatedly informed the local council about it - the police just said "not
our job mate, we just police things, ask the council" - my old councillor
promised to look into it, but lost his post (was deselected) in the last
election (which shows how long it's been an issue) and I've not heard from
the new incumbent.

I hope that you will be providing all that background to the police.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old April 29th 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_2_]

wrote this:-

[...]

And to the newspaper.
Old April 29th 08, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

David Hansen wrote:

I hope that you will be providing all that background to the police.

Indeed. But the police rarely have power to change things.

The local press (anyone who reported the incident) might
be more productive, if they might be persuaded to campaign
to fix the underlying problem, and perhaps "name and shame"
people who have been told but ignored it (especially if
you've been so well-organised as to keep copies of your
correspondence on the subject).

--
not me guv
Old April 29th 08, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

PoB wrote:
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ed...-of.4031109.jp

A friend saw the accident happen this morning - he's only part time so I'll
ask him about it tomorrow.

This is on my commute route, but occurred after I had been past. My wife
works a couple of streets along and went out to get the milk for the
office to see the ambulances, fire engine and tent as shown on the BBC
report [1]. There was a lot of blood on the road. She rang me to make
sure I was not involved.

A colleague at work lives near the haulage company base and has had
several close encounters with them on his bike. Apparently they always
appear to be in a hurry.

On my way home I doffed my cap as I passed.

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7372906.stm

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

You guys got something against spam? (Vriess, in _Alien 4_)
Old April 29th 08, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:29:10 +0100 someone who may be Don Whybrow
wrote this:-

A colleague at work lives near the haulage company base and has had
several close encounters with them on his bike. Apparently they always
appear to be in a hurry.

Well worth mentioning to the police. There might be a criminal
conspiracy between those who run the business and their drivers,
though the police are unlikely to act on this.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old April 29th 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_2_]

wrote this:-

A colleague at work lives near the haulage company base and has had
several close encounters with them on his bike. Apparently they always
appear to be in a hurry.

Well worth mentioning to the police. There might be a criminal
conspiracy between those who run the business and their drivers,
though the police are unlikely to act on this.

Hanlon's (or possibly Heinlein's) razor is appropriate here.
Old April 29th 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

wrote this:-

This is on my commute route, but occurred after I had been past. My wife
works a couple of streets along and went out to get the milk for the
office to see the ambulances, fire engine and tent as shown on the BBC
report [1].

I have occasionally thought that those lorries are too large and
heavy for use in Edinburgh. My sympathies to the victim, his family
and friends.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old April 29th 08, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:29:10 +0100, Don Whybrow wrote:
[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7372906.stm

The BBC article says a 'dumper truck' was involved. (The Scotsman article
wouldn't open for me).

Do they mean a big wagon with a tipping bit on the back about the length
of a lorry/bus?
My interpretation of 'dumper truck' is one of those things
which tips from the front and typically has a small turning circle as the
chassis is articulated in the middle.

peter
Old April 29th 08, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
!Speedy Gonzales!

"naked_draughtsman" wrote in message
Do they mean a big wagon with a tipping bit on the back about the length
of a lorry/bus?

There are 2 stories here, a fatality today in an incident involving a truck
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/to...-of.4031109.jp
and a story last week where a cyclist was dragged under a bus but luckily
escaped with only a broken ankle,
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/to...els.4012318.jp

--
!Speedy Gonzales!