MTB frame size question

Old September 20th 05, 05:41 PM

Default MTB frame size question

Hi all,

At 6' + change, I currently ride a 21" hardtail. I am not sure of my
inseam; 34" jeans/pants tend to be a bit too short for my liking. I
weigh in around 190 (dropping to 180).

I am considering moving down to a 19" frame for my next bike. Reasons:
1) Smaller size = easier to store/transport
2) Less weight (negligible)
3) Relative strength of smaller triangles
4) Better handling??
5) More standover (not really an issue)
6) More aero position (higher saddle relative to bars)

Problems I see a
1) Saddle height...will probably need a longer seatpost
2) ??

Should I be considering anything else? What are some strong reasons
*not* to go with a smaller frame?

Old September 20th 05, 06:41 PM
3Hank

Dave, since I'm 6'7" myself I feel inclined to respond to your request.
Until a few months ago I was riding a stock XL frame. Since then I have
switched to a custom build bike and it makes a _lot_ of difference. My
advise is to use a bike that has an optimal fit for your body. It's not
just the saddle height but also the top-tube that's important. If the
top-tube is to short you lean to much over the front wheel which makes
steering very instable. It also puts more weight on your arms. The
position of your saddle in relation to your pedals will be incorrect.
Go to a good bike shop and have them advise you on a bike that fits
your dimensions. If you are concerned about weight then buy a lighter
weight bike (light-weight components, wheels, frame, etc). And from a
storage/transport perspective it will make a minor difference.

Old September 20th 05, 06:51 PM
Leo Lichtman

wrote: Reasons:
1) Smaller size = easier to store/transport

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A difference which will make the bike significantly easier to store and
handle will surely be larger than your body will like.

2) Less weight (negligible)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As you say, negligible.

3) Relative strength of smaller triangles

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Triangles are inherently strong. Are you riding a bike that feels too
flexible? Or too weak? If not, the tiny gain in strength of a smaller
frame will not be noticed.

4) Better handling??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No reason to expect better handling from a smaller frame. Handling is the
result of a lot of variables, controlled mostly by the designer. You will
be able to test ride smaller bikes, some of which may handle better than
your present one, and some of which will handle WORSE. In any case, this
will not be so much good handling vs bad handling, as handling which suits
your riding needs, vs handling which does not suit your needs.

5) More standover (not really an issue)
6) More aero position (higher saddle relative to bars)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This can be adjusted by seat height and stem geometry. More important is
the length of the top tube, which controls how you must lean to sit on the
bike and hold the bars. A smaller frame could put you in a bad position.

Problems I see a
1) Saddle height...will probably need a longer seatpost

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A longer seatpost is weaker--the loss here is far greater than any gain due
to a smaller frame.

Old September 21st 05, 01:16 AM
Chalo

3Hank wrote:

Dave, since I'm 6'7" myself I feel inclined to respond to your request.
Until a few months ago I was riding a stock XL frame. Since then I have
switched to a custom build bike and it makes a _lot_ of difference.

So what did you get? How long is it in the top tube, and how long in
the chainstay?

Chalo Colina

Old September 21st 05, 03:32 AM
Veggie

A web search returns many frame calculators. Can anyone recommend a
reputable and accurate one?

Old September 21st 05, 03:38 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per :
Problems I see a
1) Saddle height...will probably need a longer seatpost
2) ??

Should I be considering anything else?

Bar height.
--
PeteCresswell
Old September 22nd 05, 03:06 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Admittedly, none of the reasons I gave
are strong motivation FOR reducing frame size.

I recently bought a decent road bike, which could be fueling my thought
process here. I am satisfied with the trail capabilities of my MTB,
but I have been using it as transportation more and more frequently.
It is heavy and the seating position is so damn upright (ok, but
inefficient)! When on pavement, I raise my seat to the MIL, which puts
my bars below my saddle. On the trails, my saddle height is determined
by the terrain.

My next MTB will be significantly lighter than my current ride. I was
thinking frame size would be an easy way ($$-wise) to lose some (not
much) weight....obviously, a good fit is far more valuable than a few
grams.

I guess I was hoping that someone had tried this, and could provide
feedback (positive or negative) based on their experience.

Cheers,
Dave

Madone 5.2 SL Hans C. Techniques 35 September 21st 05 12:35 AM
Stupid MTB vs. Road Bike frame sizing question Mark Hickey Techniques 3 August 11th 05 05:07 PM
help with frame size pingin UK 10 March 8th 05 10:19 PM
Frame sizing question alex887 Mountain Biking 6 March 23rd 04 08:22 AM
Newbie / ludite - weight & size question! Clippy Mountain Biking 3 January 20th 04 02:55 PM