Repairing crack in Spinergy Rev-X

Old July 7th 05, 03:28 PM

Default Repairing crack in Spinergy Rev-X

I have a crack in a rear wheel of a Spinergy Rev-X. The "crack" is a
slight separation of one side of the spoke (fin) from the other where
they meet at the wheel. The carbon around the small rivets has cracked
a bit due to the separation.

Spinergy.com says they can't be repaired, but I'm wondering if anyone
has. Was thinking about inserting some epoxy resin into the separation
and clamping it tight. I've done some major repairs on carbon windsurf
and kiteboard boards and was thinking I should at least attempt to fix
this.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old July 7th 05, 05:33 PM

Ok, so, should I replace just the rear wheel with the crack? Or both
front and rear?

The bummer thing is I just bought the bike...ebay...win some lose
some.....

Old July 7th 05, 06:16 PM

In general, Rev-X wheels are garbage and I would accept that loss.
Actually, I had mixed luck with my numerous REV-X, but I ran into
repeated bearing issues, which suck. I would just buy new wheels
because there is no way to really repair this type of problem. I once
had a front Tri-spoke that I ran over and the wheel had a small crack
in the side wall and spoke. Despite being only a bit out of true I
scrapped the wheel because it would have been difficult to fix and not
guaranteed to be sound.

One problem is that the replacement program says for 2004 wheels, and
the Rev-X were discontinued in '02 or '03, I believe.

CH

Old July 7th 05, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the advice. I guess I am already learning a lot about the
gear, which is usually a first step. So, now that I need new wheels,
can anyone recommend what to get (what to look for). I'm using this
bike to train/race in sprint triathlons. Don't really need crabon, just
want something that works well, is fairly light and is a good value.

Thanks.

Old July 7th 05, 11:00 PM

Don't feel bad, Spinergy "snowed" a lot of us. I can't say what the
company is like now, but the only way I'd ride the wheels is if they
gave me a pair and I don't see that happening. There not exactly the
most aero, but the Mavic Ksyrium wheels offer good performance for the
weight and cost, not to mention being durable. Besides, if you ever do
get serious wheels, the Mavic wheels will probably still be around.
Buy good tires. My pick are the Michelin Pro Race tires. Rotate the
tires every 500 - 1000 miles and they'll last a long time.

CH

Old July 7th 05, 11:05 PM
k.papai

Spinergies Rock. Pretty bombproof too.
The are more stable for me than Open Pros ever have been.

-Ken
http://www.kenpapai.com/images/ken6805.jpg

Old July 7th 05, 11:41 PM
gwhite

Rotate the tires every 500 - 1000 miles
and they'll last a long time.

LOL
Old July 8th 05, 12:34 AM
Frank Drackman

wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't feel bad, Spinergy "snowed" a lot of us. I can't say what the
company is like now, but the only way I'd ride the wheels is if they
gave me a pair and I don't see that happening. There not exactly the
most aero, but the Mavic Ksyrium wheels offer good performance for the
weight and cost, not to mention being durable. Besides, if you ever do
get serious wheels, the Mavic wheels will probably still be around.
Buy good tires. My pick are the Michelin Pro Race tires. Rotate the
tires every 500 - 1000 miles and they'll last a long time.

CH

Not to mention that in my opinion Spinergy's customer service is the worst
in the bicycle industry. I got sucked into their SPOX wheels and when they
went south I had a horrible time getting replacement parts from them. Not
warranty, I wanted to pay but had to wait over a month for a spoke. My LBS
had the same problems with them and stopped carrying any Spinergy products.

Frame Crack? Nubo Techniques 3 December 16th 04 02:50 AM
Paint crack or frame crack? Michael Press Techniques 7 August 1st 04 05:07 PM
Q: Question about repairing Spinergy Rev X wheelset Allen Thompson Techniques 2 May 18th 04 02:07 PM
Spinergy front axle not centered, cog rubs on frame... Glen Hendry Techniques 4 February 4th 04 06:19 AM
WTB Spinergy Spox rear mtb hub [email protected] Marketplace 1 October 1st 03 09:40 PM