Yet another chain cleaning tip

Old October 16th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Smiley

Default Yet another chain cleaning tip

Usually I remove the chain (using the removable link) and shake the chain in
a jar of orange degreaser. Today I microwaved the jar of degreaser until it
was steaming (about 2 minutes). It worked way, way better- it removed all
the grease - no residue left. The chain came out sparkling, like it was
brand new. Be sure you do this in a ventilated area, however.

Old October 16th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

Gary Smiley wrote:
Usually I remove the chain (using the removable link) and shake the chain in
a jar of orange degreaser. Today I microwaved the jar of degreaser until it
was steaming (about 2 minutes). It worked way, way better- it removed all
the grease - no residue left. The chain came out sparkling, like it was
brand new. Be sure you do this in a ventilated area, however.

Sounds like an improvemnt over what I've been doing with orange
degreaser. How do you ventilate? Do you have a microwave in your
garage? (Should I search ebay for a Campagnolo microwave oven?)

Thanks for the tip.
Larry

Old October 16th 06, 08:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Smokey

Gary Smiley wrote:
Usually I remove the chain (using the removable link) and shake the chain in
a jar of orange degreaser. Today I microwaved the jar of degreaser until it
was steaming (about 2 minutes). It worked way, way better- it removed all
the grease - no residue left. The chain came out sparkling, like it was
brand new. Be sure you do this in a ventilated area, however.

I normally clean my chain on the bike with one of those cleaning boxes,
but this sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try, thanks for the
tip.

Smokey

Old October 16th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

Gary Smiley wrote:
Usually I remove the chain (using the removable link) and shake the chain in
a jar of orange degreaser. Today I microwaved the jar of degreaser until it
was steaming (about 2 minutes). It worked way, way better- it removed all
the grease - no residue left. The chain came out sparkling, like it was
brand new. Be sure you do this in a ventilated area, however.

IIRC at least one of the chain manufacturers at one point advised
against using citrus based and similar acidic cleaners on chains. If
this is still so I would think heating it up would make it more reactive
and create more of a potential problem.

Me, using a coat hanger I just dip the chain into the fuel tank of the
neighbors's motorhome, it comes out clean and no icky residue to dispose
of. ;-)

Marcus
Old October 16th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Hobson

Gary Smiley wrote:
Usually I remove the chain (using the removable link) and shake the chain in
a jar of orange degreaser. Today I microwaved the jar of degreaser until it
was steaming (about 2 minutes). It worked way, way better- it removed all
the grease - no residue left. The chain came out sparkling, like it was
brand new. Be sure you do this in a ventilated area, however.

Is this the same microwave you use to cook food?
\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old October 17th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
botfood

On Oct 16, 12:46 pm, Marcus Coles wrote:

Me, using a coat hanger I just dip the chain into the fuel tank of the
neighbors's motorhome,

----------
in all seriousness... kerosene is great; leaves a slight oily film that
is ok with most lubricants. I suppose you could use th dirty kerosene
in your neighbor's motorhome heater. I've had great luck with john
deere chain lube made for farm equip as it is designed to dry and not
pick up dust and chaff....

Old October 17th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wilfred Kazoks

Just on a slightly tangential issue. Wouldn't it be better to stop the grit
getting onto the chain in the first place.

I was thinking about this the other day. I have a bike with metal mudguards
front and rear. Occasionally i notice a pebble rattling up the front guard
and getting thrown out the front. It made me think that whatever smaller
grit that doesn't go out the front must get thrown off below the lower end
and the chain is the first thing in line to collect it.

Maybe I'll attach a flap on the front guard and test the theory with some
double sided tape. See how much grit I can collect in a week.

I can't really see where else the grit can come from the rear wheel has a
fairly close fitting full length guard, but some could come from the rear
wheel I suppose.

Regards Wilfred

Old October 17th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark

Gary Smiley wrote:

Usually I remove the chain (using the removable link) and shake the chain in
a jar of orange degreaser. Today I microwaved the jar of degreaser until it
was steaming (about 2 minutes). It worked way, way better- it removed all
the grease - no residue left. The chain came out sparkling, like it was
brand new. Be sure you do this in a ventilated area, however.

Rather than fumigating my microwave, I just heat up some water (in the
microwave) to near boiling, then mix 50/50 with my favorite degreaser.

Hot solvent of any sort definitely works better than cold solvent -
especially in winter when my shop and the degreaser stored in it are
around 45 degrees F.

Don't try it with flammables, though - that could really "clean you clock".

Mark J.

Old October 17th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dvt

Wilfred Kazoks wrote:
Just on a slightly tangential issue. Wouldn't it be better to stop the grit
getting onto the chain in the first place.

I was thinking about this the other day. I have a bike with metal mudguards
front and rear. Occasionally i notice a pebble rattling up the front guard
and getting thrown out the front. It made me think that whatever smaller
grit that doesn't go out the front must get thrown off below the lower end
and the chain is the first thing in line to collect it.

Maybe I'll attach a flap on the front guard and test the theory with some
double sided tape. See how much grit I can collect in a week.

If you ride in the rain with that extra flap, you'll learn that the
front flap prevents rain from washing the lube off the chain. It
probably does the same for grit.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu