Hydraulic disc brake experience

Old April 9th 19, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Hydraulic disc brake experience

The GLW has Shimano hydraulic disc brakes on her urban commuter/touring
bike.

Recently the front brake system degraded to the point that the lever
could easily be pulled all the way to the bars. Not good. I bought a
bleed kit and Shimano brake oil for $50. I bled both front and back
brakes as instructed by Shimano. The front brakes worked again as new.

The front brake started making horrid squealing noises. I'm not certain
if this started before or only after I bled the brakes.

However, I noticed the hose from the front brake caliper was damp with
oil near the lever. I suspect the hose connection to the lever has
leaked. Perhaps this is why the system needed bleeding in the first
place. I tried tightening the nut (that compresses an olive on to the
hose just inside the lever body). I'm not certain I have stopped the
leak though.

I suspect the oil moved down the outside of the hose and on to the disc
and pads, and that is what caused the horrid noise.

My cable actuated disc brakes on my gravel/touring bike are working fine
though.

--
JS
Old April 9th 19, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 8, 2019 at 5:33:27 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
[...]

I used a flat bar and Avid brakes. They work well but are FAR too powerful for a gravel bike and I suggest that if you use these get the smallest diameter disk you can fit.

Old April 9th 19, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

Probably an accurate diagnosis. If in doubt, clip the end and put in a new barb and olive and reinstall. Also check the calipers to make sure there is no leak at the bleed port or the two halves of the body due to a bad inner seal. I had a leaking bleed port because the port grub screw was not seating due to gunk, probably from manufacturing since this was a new brake. I opened the brake and replaced the inner o-ring and worked with the port and screw -- and I think I got it fixed. And yes, a leak onto your pads will significantly degrade braking and cause your brakes to howl -- as will road crap. Bicycle plumbing! The good part is that a 105 or Ultegra level caliper is relatively cheap and plentiful.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 9th 19, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 10:33:21 +1000, James
wrote:

The GLW has Shimano hydraulic disc brakes on her urban commuter/touring
bike.

Recently the front brake system degraded to the point that the lever
could easily be pulled all the way to the bars. Not good. I bought a
bleed kit and Shimano brake oil for $50. I bled both front and back
brakes as instructed by Shimano. The front brakes worked again as new.

Just as a comment, you can buy mineral brake oil equal in viscosity to
Shimano's for considerable less money :-)

The front brake started making horrid squealing noises. I'm not certain
if this started before or only after I bled the brakes.

However, I noticed the hose from the front brake caliper was damp with
oil near the lever. I suspect the hose connection to the lever has
leaked. Perhaps this is why the system needed bleeding in the first
place. I tried tightening the nut (that compresses an olive on to the
hose just inside the lever body). I'm not certain I have stopped the
leak though.

I suspect the oil moved down the outside of the hose and on to the disc
and pads, and that is what caused the horrid noise.

Clean the discs and pads with something like alcohol, that leaves no
oily residue, and see if that helps temperately but if the pads are
oil soaked they will have to be replaced.

My cable actuated disc brakes on my gravel/touring bike are working fine
though.

Probably don't have to bleed them very often either :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 9th 19, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

The GLW has Shimano hydraulic disc brakes on her urban commuter/touring
bike.

Recently the front brake system degraded to the point that the lever
could easily be pulled all the way to the bars. Not good. I bought a
bleed kit and Shimano brake oil for $50. I bled both front and back
brakes as instructed by Shimano. The front brakes worked again as new.

Just as a comment, you can buy mineral brake oil equal in viscosity to
Shimano's for considerable less money :-)

Thanks. I assumed so, but wanted the funnel, syringe and hose as well,
that all came as part of a bleed kit.

The front brake started making horrid squealing noises. I'm not certain
if this started before or only after I bled the brakes.

However, I noticed the hose from the front brake caliper was damp with
oil near the lever. I suspect the hose connection to the lever has
leaked. Perhaps this is why the system needed bleeding in the first
place. I tried tightening the nut (that compresses an olive on to the
hose just inside the lever body). I'm not certain I have stopped the
leak though.

I suspect the oil moved down the outside of the hose and on to the disc
and pads, and that is what caused the horrid noise.

Clean the discs and pads with something like alcohol, that leaves no
oily residue, and see if that helps temperately but if the pads are
oil soaked they will have to be replaced.

I used acetone.

My cable actuated disc brakes on my gravel/touring bike are working fine
though.

Probably don't have to bleed them very often either :-)

Indeed.

--
JS
Old April 9th 19, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

The GLW has Shimano hydraulic disc brakes on her urban commuter/touring
bike.

Recently the front brake system degraded to the point that the lever
could easily be pulled all the way to the bars. Not good. I bought a
bleed kit and Shimano brake oil for $50. I bled both front and back
brakes as instructed by Shimano. The front brakes worked again as new.

Just as a comment, you can buy mineral brake oil equal in viscosity to
Shimano's for considerable less money :-)

Thanks. I assumed so, but wanted the funnel, syringe and hose as well,
that all came as part of a bleed kit.

Amazon sells a complete kit, funnel, hose, oil etc. for about A$ 22.40
(I'm assuming that the Ausi dollar is about par with the Singapore
dollar )

The front brake started making horrid squealing noises. I'm not certain
if this started before or only after I bled the brakes.

However, I noticed the hose from the front brake caliper was damp with
oil near the lever. I suspect the hose connection to the lever has
leaked. Perhaps this is why the system needed bleeding in the first
place. I tried tightening the nut (that compresses an olive on to the
hose just inside the lever body). I'm not certain I have stopped the
leak though.

I suspect the oil moved down the outside of the hose and on to the disc
and pads, and that is what caused the horrid noise.

Clean the discs and pads with something like alcohol, that leaves no
oily residue, and see if that helps temperately but if the pads are
oil soaked they will have to be replaced.

I used acetone.

That will work.

Old April 9th 19, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

The GLW has Shimano hydraulic disc brakes on her urban commuter/touring
bike.

Recently the front brake system degraded to the point that the lever
could easily be pulled all the way to the bars. Not good. I bought a
bleed kit and Shimano brake oil for $50. I bled both front and back
brakes as instructed by Shimano. The front brakes worked again as new.

Just as a comment, you can buy mineral brake oil equal in viscosity to
Shimano's for considerable less money :-)

Thanks. I assumed so, but wanted the funnel, syringe and hose as well,
that all came as part of a bleed kit.

Amazon sells a complete kit, funnel, hose, oil etc. for about A$ 22.40
(I'm assuming that the Ausi dollar is about par with the Singapore
dollar )

I looked at a number of sources. Many appear cheaper until you include
shipping. I bought one from an Australian supplier that guaranteed
delivery before the next weekend and was only a couple of $ more than
the cheapest equivalent I could find elsewhere.

--
JS
Old April 9th 19, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

A cable has never leaked out of one of my cable-actuated brakes, disc or no. A cable has never fouled any of my breaking surfaces by touching them, nor damaged the pads beyond repair.

These are a couple of things to bear in mind when you use oil instead of cable to apply the brake.
Old April 9th 19, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Yes that is a real "gotcha". Yes Sir. We ship to Thailand. Then you
get the bill for shipping and customs and the price seems to have
doubled :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 9th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 3:09:56 AM UTC-4, Chalo wrote:
A cable has never leaked out of one of my cable-actuated brakes, disc or no. A cable has never fouled any of my breaking surfaces by touching them, nor damaged the pads beyond repair.

These are a couple of things to bear in mind when you use oil instead of cable to apply the brake.

+1

- Frank Krygowski