Can an old school Shimano inner chainring be flipped 2 use as anouter ring?

Old June 20th 19, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Can an old school Shimano inner chainring be flipped 2 use as anouter ring?

I'm building up a road bike for a person who is not a strong rider and who finds a 50 teeth chainring to be too much for them. Can an Old School Shimano inner chainring be flipped and used as an outer chainring? I have a mint 45 or 46 teeth inner ring that'd be ideal for this person as an outer ring.. The BCD is he same as on the old Shimano 600 Arabesque, and similar cranksets.

Thanks and cheers
Old June 20th 19, 11:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 21:31:06 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I'm building up a road bike for a person who is not a strong rider and who finds a 50 teeth chainring to be too much for them. Can an Old School Shimano inner chainring be flipped and used as an outer chainring? I have a mint 45 or 46 teeth inner ring that'd be ideal for this person as an outer ring. The BCD is he same as on the old Shimano 600 Arabesque, and similar cranksets.

Thanks and cheers

I believe that you are saying that the hole circle, number of holes
and distance between holes are the same on both crank and sprocket. If
that is correct than I have done just that, taken an inner sprocket
and moved to an outer sprocket position with no problems at all, It
shifted well with both down tube friction and 10 speed brifters.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 20th 19, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/19/2019 11:31 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I'm building up a road bike for a person who is not a strong rider and who finds a 50 teeth chainring to be too much for them. Can an Old School Shimano inner chainring be flipped and used as an outer chainring? I have a mint 45 or 46 teeth inner ring that'd be ideal for this person as an outer ring. The BCD is he same as on the old Shimano 600 Arabesque, and similar cranksets.

Thanks and cheers

Yes.
Older no problem- newer shaped/ramped/pinned rings less so.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 20th 19, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 8:26:36 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/19/2019 11:31 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I'm building up a road bike for a person who is not a strong rider and who finds a 50 teeth chainring to be too much for them. Can an Old School Shimano inner chainring be flipped and used as an outer chainring? I have a mint 45 or 46 teeth inner ring that'd be ideal for this person as an outer ring. The BCD is he same as on the old Shimano 600 Arabesque, and similar cranksets.

Thanks and cheers

Yes.
Older no problem- newer shaped/ramped/pinned rings less so.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks people. I'll do it.

Cheers
Old June 21st 19, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

I'm building up a road bike for a person who is not a strong rider and
who finds a 50 teeth chainring to be too much for them. Can an Old
School Shimano inner chainring be flipped and used as an outer
chainring? I have a mint 45 or 46 teeth inner ring that'd be ideal for
this person as an outer ring. The BCD is he same as on the old Shimano
600 Arabesque, and similar cranksets.

Thanks and cheers

I believe that you are saying that the hole circle, number of holes and
distance between holes are the same on both crank and sprocket. If that
is correct than I have done just that, taken an inner sprocket and moved
to an outer sprocket position with no problems at all, It shifted well
with both down tube friction and 10 speed brifters.

That is how the TA Stronglight(?) system worked, common mounting spiders
for inner and outer or top and middle if you mounted a third chain ring.