Clincher and Tubeless Deep Carbon Rims

Old June 21st 19, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Clincher and Tubeless Deep Carbon Rims

It was pretty windy yesterday with gusts up to 25 or perhaps more. I had put the 50 mm deep clinchers that have Victoria Corsa G+ tires on them on the steel Pinarello.

I have been riding the tubeless 55 mm deep aero wheels on the Colnago and I have to say that it is a real problem. I think that they are using the same spoke set off of the 50's on them and what they get is spokes that are not tight.

The clinchers on the other hand have a really tight spoke set.

The clinchers steer exactly where you point them and you can hardly tell that there is gusting. I had exactly this same experience when I had these clincher rims on the Colnago. They do not have any worse response to side gusts than a normal flat rimmed wheel.

Because the tubeless wheels have relatively slack spokes the wheels can move around and this causes rather frightening response to gusts. I end up riding down hills in particular much more carefully since if you let your speed get up the bike covers so much ground during a side gust that you could hit a curb or be blown out into the middle of the street.

So while I can recommend the cheap Chinese clincher 50's I would not do so for the 55 tubeless.

I contacted the factory about the first set of tubeless wheels I got and they said that they would fix this. So a couple of months later I bought another set and it is EXACTLY the same slack spokes with the same large variation in spoke tensions from spoke to spoke.

Let the buyer beware.
Old June 21st 19, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 1:05:09 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Yet you still persist in buying and using cheap Chinese made components. When buying Chinese products from t he web it's really BUYER BEWARE as you have no idea what sort of quality you're getting. I really don't know why you risk it.

Cheers
Old June 21st 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 10:37:47 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I haven't had a flat on a tubeless tire since I've been using them. Taking a chance on tubeless rims that cost less than junk wheels from elsewhere isn't taking a chance.