Trek/Bontrager Wavecell Technology Helmets

Old August 3rd 19, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Trek/Bontrager Wavecell Technology Helmets

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 11:21:50 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
I just got an advertisement from Trek in which they now claim that the latest Wavecell has not 28 times but 48 times the protection for your head than normal foam.

I wonder if they will make a commuting or touring helmet, by which I mean a helmet for people who sit upright on their bikes and comes with or has options for a visor, a visor-fit mirror, replacement comfort strips for inside, and so on. My Bell Citi, which is anyway old, took a deep dent in the back the other day, which would have been a gash in my head requiring stitches at the very least, perhaps a concussion too. But I can't find another one, and Bell doesn't list it any more. So I may as well shop for something more capable, if there is such a thing.

Andre Jute
Good news, if it works better
Old August 3rd 19, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 9:11:08 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 8:49:39 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 15:21:48 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

I just got an advertisement from Trek in which they now claim that the latest Wavecell has not 28 times but 48 times the protection for your head than normal foam.

I wonder if this is advertising BS or an actual improvement of the cell shape design. Since they are manufactured using a 3-D printing technology it is very simple for them to make improvements to the design.

At 28 times the protection I wouldn't have had a concussion in the first place so it is actually something to think about. I am paying about $400 a month for medication and in a constant worry that I will grow used to the medication and its effectiveness will fail. I already discovered that if I take these Saw Palmetto pills for enlarged prostate that it makes you pass the medication out more rapidly that you're supposed to and I start having micro-seizures.

I can't take any larger doses so that is always a problem.

I absolutely do not believe that a helmet can save your life and we've discussed this many times before. But I do believe that it can make the life you wouldn't have lost more livable.

Well, if we assume that no helmet equates to zero protection and a
helmet provided 28 times that protection that the formula would be 28
X 0 = ? Would it not?
--
cheers,

John B.

I read somewhere recently that helmet impacts are ONLY tested on the top of the head in the drop test and that helmets are NOT tested for side impacts that is impacts that hit the side of the helmet. I had a helmet that fell off the handlebar of my STOPPED bicycle and a large chunk broke off the side of that helmet. Helmets can help in some cases but the standards helmets have to pass are abysmally low.

I was carrying my helmet against my chest with my left arm and walking my bike
down a grassy slope, steering it with my right hand. I slipped and landed on
my butt. The helmet was broken in about four pieces.

This was back when I sort of believed in them, but I was on a bike tour in
Ireland. I stuck the pieces back together and kept wearing it. But the thing is,
it wasn't a fair test. They are not supposed to withstand flexing or smashing
of the entire helmet with no head inside for, um, reinforcement.

- Frank Krygowski

Old August 3rd 19, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/2/2019 8:48 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 9:35:16 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/2/2019 8:19 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 9:14:27 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 5:23:28 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Fri, 02 Aug 2019 15:21:48 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

I just got an advertisement from Trek in which they now claim that the
latest Wavecell has not 28 times but 48 times the protection for your
head than normal foam.

The question to ask yourself is "where is the point of failure now".

When mushroom style bicycle helmets, aka bell, first came out, there was
a nasty rise in a spine based injury of a rather severe and fatal type.

There was? I know the Bell Biker was directly linked to social isolation and reduction in sexual activity, but I wasn't aware that it was causing severe and fatal spinal injuries. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/...4bellbiker.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.

Wasn't that also known as the Bell Tourlite?

Cheers

Biker preceded Tourlite.

Was there much difference between them?

Cheers

Compare Biker image link above with the Tourlites below

http://www.grandgetawaycabin.com/eaqvir19940/

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/5304...extremely-rare

Lighter weight and a visor (visors were scratched by CPSC as
an eye hazard. Visors returned 10 years later with a softer
material and breakaway mounting)

Evaluating relative fashion 'dork factor' is left as an
exercise for the reader.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 3rd 19, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

A year or so ago I read an article posted by an individual that seemed
to be in a position of authority in the British helmet testing group
who alleged that the current bicycle helmet testing standards were
actually lower than the original standards established when bike
helmet standards were first instituted.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 3rd 19, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

No. Because you stated that "no helmet equates to zero protection" which means all helmets have some protection.

O.K. I'll rephrase that. if we assume that a total lack of a helmet
equates to zero protection... :-)

Or did you mean that not wearing a helmet has zero protection?

Cheers

--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 3rd 19, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 02 Aug 2019 21:03:30 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Visors returned 10 years later with a softer
material and breakaway mounting)

But they blind you when you get down on the drops.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old August 3rd 19, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

No. Because you stated that "no helmet equates to zero protection" which means all helmets have some protection.

O.K. I'll rephrase that. if we assume that a total lack of a helmet
equates to zero protection... :-)

Ah, but it doesn't! For years, we had a quite clever poster here (Guy
Chapman) who noted, by analogy, that his wooly cap had saved his life!

I could make the same claim. The only time I hit my head while riding
was when I was a teen. It was a fairly hard hit, and I'm sure a helmet
would have been crushed or cracked, had they existed and I had been
wearing one. So I guess it was the wooly cap that saved me.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 3rd 19, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/2/2019 11:49 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 02 Aug 2019 21:03:30 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Visors returned 10 years later with a softer
material and breakaway mounting)

But they blind you when you get down on the drops.

Yesterday evening, my wife and I rode the tandem out to a nearby town to
get dinner. We returned after sunset, happy to have our generator
headlight running.

But the sky still had quite a bit of light, especially as we started
home. In that situation, I find the bill of my cycling cap handy.
Shading the sky's brightness helps with low light vision. And it's even
handier when a car approaches with bright headlights.

The cycling cap makes it easy to adjust the position of the bill so the
glare is blocked but the road surface is visible.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 3rd 19, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

No. Because you stated that "no helmet equates to zero protection" which means all helmets have some protection.

O.K. I'll rephrase that. if we assume that a total lack of a helmet
equates to zero protection... :-)

Ah, but it doesn't! For years, we had a quite clever poster here (Guy
Chapman) who noted, by analogy, that his wooly cap had saved his life!

I could make the same claim. The only time I hit my head while riding
was when I was a teen. It was a fairly hard hit, and I'm sure a helmet
would have been crushed or cracked, had they existed and I had been
wearing one. So I guess it was the wooly cap that saved me.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Want to have some fun? Take a couple of melons and put a wooly cap on one and a helmet on the other and then drop them from a a respectable height so that the wooly cap hits the pavement first and also the helmet hits the pavement first. I'm willing to be that t he melon with the helmet over it will suffer less damage than the melon with the wooly cap.

VBEG We all know you're extremely anti-helmet. LOL

Cheers
Old August 3rd 19, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

It's a very popular demonstration, quite useful at scaring parents and
their little kids away from ever riding bicycles. Too bad they don't do
the same thing for those much bigger sources of brain injuries - riding
in cars and walking.

VBEG We all know you're extremely anti-helmet. LOL

I'm actually for honesty, for truthful presentation of data, and for
individual choice.

If I were anti-helmet, I'd be working to outlaw them. It would be
parallel to the helmeteers efforts to outlaw riding bikes without helmets.

Is there a mandatory helmet law where you live? (I believe so.) Which
side is imposing its will on the other side?

--
- Frank Krygowski