Trek/Bontrager Wavecell Technology Helmets

Old August 3rd 19, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Trek/Bontrager Wavecell Technology Helmets

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 12:13:14 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/3/2019 11:54 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 11:43:56 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/2/2019 11:25 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 18:16:09 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

No. Because you stated that "no helmet equates to zero protection" which means all helmets have some protection.

O.K. I'll rephrase that. if we assume that a total lack of a helmet
equates to zero protection... :-)

Ah, but it doesn't! For years, we had a quite clever poster here (Guy
Chapman) who noted, by analogy, that his wooly cap had saved his life!

I could make the same claim. The only time I hit my head while riding
was when I was a teen. It was a fairly hard hit, and I'm sure a helmet
would have been crushed or cracked, had they existed and I had been
wearing one. So I guess it was the wooly cap that saved me.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Want to have some fun? Take a couple of melons and put a wooly cap on one and a helmet on the other and then drop them from a a respectable height so that the wooly cap hits the pavement first and also the helmet hits the pavement first. I'm willing to be that t he melon with the helmet over it will suffer less damage than the melon with the wooly cap.

It's a very popular demonstration, quite useful at scaring parents and
their little kids away from ever riding bicycles. Too bad they don't do
the same thing for those much bigger sources of brain injuries - riding
in cars and walking.

VBEG We all know you're extremely anti-helmet. LOL

I'm actually for honesty, for truthful presentation of data, and for
individual choice.

If I were anti-helmet, I'd be working to outlaw them. It would be
parallel to the helmeteers efforts to outlaw riding bikes without helmets..

Is there a mandatory helmet law where you live? (I believe so.) Which
side is imposing its will on the other side?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Wrong again Frank. There's no mandatory helmet law where I live. Last time I looked this is rec.BICYCLES.tech not rec.pedestrians.tech or rec.car.tech.. Therefore most of us who talk about helmets here are talking about helmets as they pertain to BICYCLING.

Cheers
Old August 4th 19, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

But! But! Frank! The government is only trying (by legislation) to
make you safe...

Perhaps a logical extenuation of the concept would be simply
outlawing those dangerous devices called bicycles.
Think of it, perhaps 800 lives, and thousands of injuries, saved every
year.

And it makes perfect sense in the USian logical system. After all,
every time there is a mass shooting the anti gun fraternity is
screaming for guns to be banned and here we have this two wheeled
device that is killing 800 perfectly good tax paying US citizens every
year.

Ban The Two Wheel Killers!
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 4th 19, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/3/2019 1:09 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 12:13:14 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/3/2019 11:54 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

VBEG We all know you're extremely anti-helmet. LOL

I'm actually for honesty, for truthful presentation of data, and for
individual choice.

If I were anti-helmet, I'd be working to outlaw them. It would be
parallel to the helmeteers efforts to outlaw riding bikes without helmets.

Is there a mandatory helmet law where you live? (I believe so.) Which
side is imposing its will on the other side?

Wrong again Frank. There's no mandatory helmet law where I live.

Really? I thought you lived in Ontario.

From Wikipedia:
"The use of bicycle helmets is compulsory in the provinces of British
Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, and
Prince Edward Island.[12] In the provinces of Alberta, Manitoba, and
Ontario, the use of helmets is mandatory for cyclists under the age of
18 years of age.[13][14][15][16]"

Perhaps you're unaware of the law? If so, perhaps you should read up
before arguing.

Last time I looked this is rec.BICYCLES.tech not rec.pedestrians.tech or
rec.car.tech. Therefore most of us who talk about helmets here are
talking about helmets as they pertain to BICYCLING.

If that's how you feel, you should have taken your "smash a melon"
helmet promoting argument to rec.melons.tech, or some other such newsgroup.

Why are so many people so dedicated to claiming that only _bicyclists_
should (or must) wear helmets, as if bicycling has tremendous brain
injury risk? Do those people not understand the numbers? Or, like the
laws, do those people just not bother to examine them?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 4th 19, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 19:47:17 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/3/2019 1:09 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 12:13:14 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/3/2019 11:54 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

VBEG We all know you're extremely anti-helmet. LOL

I'm actually for honesty, for truthful presentation of data, and for
individual choice.

If I were anti-helmet, I'd be working to outlaw them. It would be
parallel to the helmeteers efforts to outlaw riding bikes without helmets.

Is there a mandatory helmet law where you live? (I believe so.) Which
side is imposing its will on the other side?

Wrong again Frank. There's no mandatory helmet law where I live.

Really? I thought you lived in Ontario.

From Wikipedia:
[...]

Frank, you just don't understand, do you. Bicycling is a dangerous
pastime, why, you can ask just about anyone and he/she/it (politically
correctness here) will tell you about how, their 2nd cousin, had a
friend, who knew a guy, that heard about a bloke, that fell off a
bicycle and was killed.

And, just like guns, that kill people, bicycles should be banned. Why,
everybody knows!
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 4th 19, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

[...]

So you are saying that when I carry a melon from the shop to home, that I
should apply two helmets to the ends incase it comes loose on the way
home?
Old August 4th 19, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

On 8/3/2019 1:09 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 12:13:14 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/3/2019 11:54 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

VBEG We all know you're extremely anti-helmet. LOL

I'm actually for honesty, for truthful presentation of data, and for
individual choice.

If I were anti-helmet, I'd be working to outlaw them. It would be
parallel to the helmeteers efforts to outlaw riding bikes without helmets.

Is there a mandatory helmet law where you live? (I believe so.) Which
side is imposing its will on the other side?

Wrong again Frank. There's no mandatory helmet law where I live.

Really? I thought you lived in Ontario.

From Wikipedia:
[...]

`Speaking of my friend's grandfather:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/jfkgrfth.jpg

Bicycles don't kill people. Bicyclists kill people.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 4th 19, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

"Why, if only _one_ cantaloupe can be saved..." wring hands here

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 4th 19, 07:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

On 8/3/2019 1:09 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 12:13:14 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/3/2019 11:54 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

VBEG We all know you're extremely anti-helmet. LOL

I'm actually for honesty, for truthful presentation of data, and for
individual choice.

If I were anti-helmet, I'd be working to outlaw them. It would be
parallel to the helmeteers efforts to outlaw riding bikes without helmets.

Is there a mandatory helmet law where you live? (I believe so.) Which
side is imposing its will on the other side?

Wrong again Frank. There's no mandatory helmet law where I live.

Really? I thought you lived in Ontario.

From Wikipedia:
[...]

Of course they do. After all a Bicyclist without a bicycle isn't a
Bicyclist. The bicycle, then, is the determining factor :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 4th 19, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 5:43:56 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:

The only time I hit my head while riding
was when I was a teen. It was a fairly hard hit, ...

Ah, thats explains it...

Lou
Old August 4th 19, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 12:21:50 AM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
I just got an advertisement from Trek in which they now claim that the latest Wavecell has not 28 times but 48 times the protection for your head than normal foam.

I wonder if this is advertising BS or an actual improvement of the cell shape design. Since they are manufactured using a 3-D printing technology it is very simple for them to make improvements to the design.

At 28 times the protection I wouldn't have had a concussion in the first place so it is actually something to think about. I am paying about $400 a month for medication and in a constant worry that I will grow used to the medication and its effectiveness will fail. I already discovered that if I take these Saw Palmetto pills for enlarged prostate that it makes you pass the medication out more rapidly that you're supposed to and I start having micro-seizures.

I can't take any larger doses so that is always a problem.

I absolutely do not believe that a helmet can save your life and we've discussed this many times before. But I do believe that it can make the life you wouldn't have lost more livable.

F*cking hell another silly helmet thread. Well it keeps Frank and John B busy.......

Lou