glueless patches.

Old March 21st 05, 02:40 AM
Callistus Valerius

Default glueless patches.

I've been using Aireon glueless patches lately and they work great.
Sick of the glue and only getting 1 out 3 to work. I never tried glueless
because of the bad rap, until I saw another guy use them, and couldn't
believe how simple it was and the good results. Are the Aierion's just
better than the other brands, why the bad rap?

Old March 21st 05, 02:58 AM
Pete Biggs

Callistus Valerius wrote:
I've been using Aireon glueless patches lately and they work
great. Sick of the glue and only getting 1 out 3 to work. I never
tried glueless because of the bad rap, until I saw another guy use
them, and couldn't believe how simple it was and the good results.
Are the Aierion's just better than the other brands, why the bad rap?

Becuase they don't always stick and stay stuck. 3 out of 3 normal patches
should work and stay working forever. You're probably doing something
wrong, like not sanding the tube enough, or not letting the gue dry before
applying patch, or inflating to test with tube outside of tyre.

~PB

Old March 21st 05, 03:06 AM
Callistus Valerius

Becuase they don't always stick and stay stuck. 3 out of 3 normal patches
should work and stay working forever. You're probably doing something
wrong, like not sanding the tube enough, or not letting the gue dry before
applying patch, or inflating to test with tube outside of tyre.

~PB

I do inflate to test, maybe that's it. So you're saying the glueless
work at first and then fail? Just started today when I ran out of tubes,
had one on the front and back, and they were full pressure 50 miles later.
Your right, with the glue, if you get it to work, it lasts forever. Don't
try them on rollers though, as they melt the glue.

Old March 21st 05, 03:17 AM
Pete Biggs

Callistus Valerius wrote:
Becuase they don't always stick and stay stuck. 3 out of 3 normal
patches should work and stay working forever. You're probably doing
something wrong, like not sanding the tube enough, or not letting
the gue dry before applying patch, or inflating to test with tube
outside of tyre.

I do inflate to test, maybe that's it.

Probably. You need to have faith in your repair :-)

So you're saying the
glueless work at first and then fail?

Exactly that has happened to me with Giyo (sp?) glueless patches.

~PB

Old March 21st 05, 03:18 AM

Callistus Valerius writes:

Because they don't always stick and stay stuck. 3 out of 3 normal
patches should work and stay working forever. You're probably
doing something wrong, like not sanding the tube enough, or not
letting the glue dry before applying patch, or inflating to test
with tube outside of tyre.

I do inflate to test, maybe that's it. So you're saying the
glueless work at first and then fail? Just started today when I ran
out of tubes, had one on the front and back, and they were full
pressure 50 miles later. Your right, with the glue, if you get it
to work, it lasts forever. Don't try them on rollers though, as
they melt the glue.

You might look at these considerations:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/patching.html

Old March 21st 05, 04:10 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 02:40:24 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
may have said:

I've been using Aireon glueless patches lately and they work great.
Sick of the glue and only getting 1 out 3 to work.

A failure rate like that often indicates excessive haste in the repair
process.

I never tried glueless
because of the bad rap, until I saw another guy use them, and couldn't
believe how simple it was and the good results. Are the Aierion's just
better than the other brands, why the bad rap?

I haven't tried those, but based on experience, I don't have a burning
desire to do so. To date, I have tried three brands of self-adhesive
patch with poor results. (Well, four, really, but I never gave the
Bell patches any serious chance of working, so I don't count them.)

Aside from history, however, I have misgivings about self-adhesive
patches for another reason, and that's the nature of their glue. The
cement used with conventional patches is a contact cement which is
designed to be chemically compatible with the patch face and the tube
material, forming a strong bond if properly applied, and the glue is
nonplastic after it dries; that is, it won't migrate. Every
self-adhesive patch I've seen, on the other hand, has employed a
sticky substance that is intended to never dry out; it remains plastic
permanently. As such, it can migrate, and under pressure I would
expect that this is exactly what will occur.

With a conventional patch, I know that the repair (if executed
properly) is permanent, and will last as long as the rest of the tube.
Since the conventional ones are working well for me, I have (as I
said) no particularly strong motivation to try alternatives.

If I were involved in competitive racing, where time lost patching a
flat could be critical, I might be more interested in trying quick0fix
methods, but since I'm not, I'll stick with what I know works for me.

Old March 21st 05, 04:20 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Werehatrack" wrote: (clip) I'll stick with what I know works for me.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I collect unintentional puns. This goes in my collection.

Old March 21st 05, 04:25 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Callistus Valerius wrote:
I've been using Aireon glueless patches lately and they work
great. Sick of the glue and only getting 1 out 3 to work. I never
tried glueless because of the bad rap, until I saw another guy use
them, and couldn't believe how simple it was and the good results.
Are the Aierion's just better than the other brands, why the bad rap?

Becuase they don't always stick and stay stuck. 3 out of 3 normal patches
should work and stay working forever. You're probably doing something
wrong, like not sanding the tube enough, or not letting the gue dry before
applying patch, or inflating to test with tube outside of tyre.

~PB

My experience with the thin, pre-glued patches (the ones I use are under the
Trek label, but they're sold by others as well) have been excellent. They
have worked nicely as permanent patches, not something temporary that I
would have to worry about down the road. The big advantage I see to them is
that there's no tube of glue to dry up... once opened, there's a definite
shelf life to the small tubes of glue that come with patch kits.

On the other hand, I had poor results with the much-thicker square patches
made by Park.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 21st 05, 05:11 AM
Matt O'Toole

may have said:

[...]

Your experience with these is the same as mine. I've found the glueless ones
work better if you abrade the tube thoroughly as you would with a regular patch.
However, because they all do eventually fail, I've given up on them. Whether
they fail in few minutes, a few hours or a few months it's all the same PITA.
Getting the stickum off the tube so a real patch can be used is a pain too.
Real patches are the only way to go.

Most riders would probably go for convenience and just buy a new tube when one
has a slow leak. But if you use regular patches properly, there's no reason to
buy new tubes until they're full of patches.

Matt O.

Old March 21st 05, 05:25 AM

Mike Jacoubowsky writes:

[...]

What is less apparent is that tubes of glue do not dry up AFTER they
have been opened, but do so all the time because the makers of this
stuff don't realize that the crimp on the bottom of the tube is porous
and the solvent in the glue, highly volatile. That's why it dries so
quickly when used. Bicycle shops with low turnover of stock sell
pre-dried glue tubes. I have had the opportunity to puncture the
threaded end only to find a veritable void with a little stiff jelly
after squeezing the tube hard enough.

On the other hand, I had poor results with the much-thicker square
patches made by Park.

So how well can you pull one of these off after a week in place? What
makes them "cure" and become permanent as glue+REMA patches do?

Using Tip Top Original Patches Ian G Batten UK 25 June 17th 04 04:36 AM
CURE-C-CURE patches IanB UK 15 March 2nd 04 02:50 AM
Unicycle Competition Patches for the Serious Uni Collector yoopers Unicycling 5 February 18th 04 02:56 AM
glueless patches Andrew Morris Australia 93 January 5th 04 07:49 PM