Duct tape for holding rim tape or in leu of rim tape?

Old August 4th 04, 08:43 PM
Mr_Potatohead

Default Duct tape for holding rim tape or in leu of rim tape?

Alex Rodriguez Wrote:
In article , says...

I am surprised that no one has mentioned filamented packing tape. I

have
had good results with it.

Leaves a gooey, sticky mess behind.
----------
Alex

I use the fiberglass reinforced 3/4" strapping tape also. Why would the
goo be an issue? You'll only take the tape off if you are rebuilding the
rim and even then, so the rim is gooey. You'll just cover it up again
with more tape.

--
Mr_Potatohead

Old August 4th 04, 09:23 PM
Tom Paterson

From: Mr_Potatohead

I use the fiberglass reinforced 3/4" strapping tape also. Why would the
goo be an issue? You'll only take the tape off if you are rebuilding the
rim and even then, so the rim is gooey. You'll just cover it up again
with more tape.

Glad you asked, Mr. P. The two wheels I'm thinking of both had lots of wisps of
the tape (fiberglass?) held in place pretty strongly, while other areas were
exposed, the adhesive seemingly gone. A real mess. I've used acetone for
similar cleanup operations. This job looked like a heavy application was going
to be needed, and frankly, I'd rather save what's left of my liver for better
things.

I'd guess that one uses strapping tape or "whatever" because cash is short and
you have the strapping tape on hand. Or the bike shop is closed. Otherwise,
real "rim strips" are cheaper than a roll of tape and a pint of acetone. When
it's time to replace, easy. No muss, no fuss. But the strapping tape, and I
think I've used electrical tape, too, and grey tape, they do work. --TP