Near Miss of the Day 449: Cyclist gets very close pass from driver ofbus ... operated by company that has given its drivers close pass training

Old August 4th 20, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 449: Cyclist gets very close pass from driver ofbus ... operated by company that has given its drivers close pass training

QUOTE:
A road.cc reader who saw how a video previously submitted to our Near Miss of the Day feature had resulted in the bus company involved responding to outline the cycle awareness training has shared his own experience of a close pass from a bus driver who works for a firm that has provided similar training.

Martin, who sent in the footage, said: "This is Great Bridge Street in Tipton,. Huge potholes everywhere, blocked cycle lanes on both sides, and an extremely close pass from a double decker bus.

"I actually had to slow down and swerve to avoid it hitting me. My camera is situated in the middle of the handlebars, so it gets a lot closer than the footage indicates.

"This happened on July 27th, but i've only just set the timestamp on my camera."

The bus operator in this case is National Express West Midlands, which a couple of years ago teamed up with West Midlands Fire & Rescue to train its drivers in Coventry on how to share the roads safely with cyclists, including using a close pass mat to show the distance they needed to allow riders when overtaking.
National Express West Midlands

Tom Stables, Managing Director of National Express West Midlands, said at the time (link is external): "You can never stop learning about safety. We are constantly looking for innovative ways to make the roads safer for all users.

"Our Coventry bus drivers really appreciated the chance to learn more about this aspect of road safety, especially as many of them are cyclists and motorcyclists too."

Perhaps it's time to give drivers in Tipton a refresher, too?

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...-driver-276179
Old August 4th 20, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 04/08/2020 14:18, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
Martin, who sent in the footage, said: "This is Great Bridge Street
in Tipton,. Huge potholes everywhere, blocked cycle lanes on both
sides, and an extremely close pass from a double decker bus.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...-driver-276179

Even without the road defects, it doesn't look as though it's possible
to ride with handlebars within the lane.
Old August 5th 20, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 14:18 4 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...lose-pass-bus-
driver-276179

Why is his bike squeaking so much?
Old August 5th 20, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 7:05:51 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 14:18 4 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...lose-pass-bus-
driver-276179

Why is his bike squeaking so much?

QUOTE:
You omitted to mention the worst offence in that video - that horrible squeaking rattle.
Jenova20 replied to mdavidford | 6 posts | 1 day ago
2 likes

Apologies, but it's a folding bike, and i've gotten used to the noise. It doesn't make noise on flat surfaces...But this road is obviously not a flat surface.
Old August 6th 20, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 19:41 5 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:

On Wednesday, August 5, 2020 at 7:05:51 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 14:18 4 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...lose-pass-bus-
driver-276179

Why is his bike squeaking so much?

QUOTE: You omitted to mention the worst offence in that video - that
horrible squeaking rattle. Avatar Jenova20 replied to mdavidford | 6
posts | 1 day ago 2 likes

Apologies, but it's a folding bike, and i've gotten used to the noise.
It doesn't make noise on flat surfaces...But this road is obviously not
a flat surface.

If there are squeaks from his folding bike then presumably there's joint
movement in frame which means the frame is effectively flexing. That
can't help much when riding a pot-holed road.

Maybe he should ride a more suitable bike if he's worried about bumps in the
roads. I didn't notice many true pot-holes although there were patches of
indifferent surface re-instatement work.

Maybe he was just having a video moan. You know how cyclists are fond of
this.
Old August 6th 20, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 2:08:48 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

Maybe he should ride a more suitable bike if he's worried about bumps in the
roads. I didn't notice many true pot-holes although there were patches of
indifferent surface re-instatement work.

Maybe he was just having a video moan. You know how cyclists are fond of
this.

Drivers are ALWAYS moaning about the state of the roads - it's a national pastime!
Old August 6th 20, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 16:43 6 Aug 2020, Simon Mason said:

On Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 2:08:48 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

Maybe he should ride a more suitable bike if he's worried about bumps
in the roads. I didn't notice many true pot-holes although there were
patches of indifferent surface re-instatement work.

Maybe he was just having a video moan. You know how cyclists are fond
of this.

Drivers are ALWAYS moaning about the state of the roads - it's a
national pastime!

That sounds like a topic for a different thread.

In this thread a cyclist on a folding bike is moaning about how hard it is to
cope with the condition of the road. Also about buses. Perhaps he would
also like to complain about the weather.

He's clearly having a bad day and is blaming everyone else for his mood but
why post a video which show little is wrong.