Reputable website for a new uni? (does seat post really matter?)

Old September 12th 04, 03:46 AM
zambonijones

Default Reputable website for a new uni? (does seat post really matter?)

I know everyone says to go to unicycle.com to buy a uni, but I've found
one that (at least seems like it would) meets most of my criteria:

Torker LX Unistar
-300 mm seat post
-48-spoke
-front handle, rear bumper
-20"
for $99.98 at shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/10749

I don't know if this is a model that will stand up to some rigorous
learning/experience-building or not (and any opinions on that would be
wonderful!) I also don't know if this website is reliable or reputable,
because I've never heard of anyone buying one from here.

ALSO: Does a 300mm seat post vs. a 400mm seat post make a huge
difference when you're learning? I'm 5'5", and it sounds like I should
get a 300mm, but some models only come in 400mm, and one person told me
that seat post doesn't really matter. I'm confused.

{{{{Some other models I was considering, in order or preference:

Semcycle XL 20" Standard
-300 mm seat post
-36-spoke
-front and back bumpers
for $165.00 at unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=535

Schwinn 20"
-350 mm seat post
-36-spoke
-supposedly more durable (flat-bladed)
for $139.00 at unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=59

Nimbus II 20"
-400 mm seat post [[this concerns me]]
-48-spoke
for $144.00 at unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?=740 or 739
It's also out of stock, and I don't know about the bumpers on this
one.}}}}

--
zambonijones
zambonijones's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7580

Old September 12th 04, 04:13 AM
Fuego

that's not a bad price for a torker, as far as I have seen, and the FREE
SHIPPING is going to save you some money. I don't know if the website is
reputable, and I don't know about the other unis you like, but torkers
seem to be great first unis. They will be very strong, though not well
suited to much MUni or Trials, because you cannot fit a good MUni tire
into the torker frame, othewise they would be exceptionally good.
However, mos everything you mentioned will stand up fine to learning,
though the viscount saddle has been known to fall apart. A bonus on the
torker is that it comes with a Miyata style saddle, which is comfortable
and has a handle which will help a lot for once you have learned to ride
and want to learn to hop.

Seat Posts- The seat post length won't matter unless it's too short,
because you can easily cut it down until it fits.

The semcycle is a good uni, but the seat is not quite as good as the
torker, though the hub is quite strong and good.

I don't know about the schwinn, but its seat is also not as good.

I like the Nimbus II, because it has a Kris Holm saddle, which is better
than the torker, and has a very nice tire. However, I think the torker
might be stronger, though I'm not sure.

--
Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

"Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
balance."

If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
interesting shapes!
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

Old September 12th 04, 05:00 AM
zambonijones

that was actually very helpful. thank you.

I just wish I knew some people who had ordered things from that
website.... And, yeah, the free shipping is awesome, considering that
the shipping would probably bump me back up to the price of the rest of
the unis i listed.

Bah, money.

Old September 12th 04, 05:38 AM
KJK

I just bought a 24" Torker LX from 'these guys' (). It was an easy
transaction and the Torker is very nice.

I'm getting back into unicycling after 15 years. The Torker is light
years ahead of the old Schwinn I learned on!

--
KJK
KJK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7847

Old September 12th 04, 02:58 PM
monociclos

Check this site out!

www.municycle.com - see proffesional indoors uni!!

Cool web, cool uni, cool price!

--
monociclos - Doin` trials

www.monociclos.com Unicycle related stuff in Spanish
monociclos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4100

Old September 12th 04, 02:58 PM
monociclos

Old September 12th 04, 08:36 PM
s7ev0

The handlebarunicyle on that site looks fun too!

--
s7ev0

s7ev0

Where there's a wheel there's a way
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Old September 13th 04, 01:24 AM
johnfoss

The most reputable web site out there is still Unicycle.com. Darren
Bedford is also great for orders in Canada, but his is mostly over the
phone business, as the web site is still struggling to be e-commerce.

Sunrise Cyclery is a bike shop in Massapequa Park, Long Island. I drove
by there many times during my 10 years living in the area, but don't
know if I ever went in there. It is obvious by their web site that they
are a hard-working store who want to do a good job. They also advertise
on Google, so they want to get their name out there and not just be a
local shop. That's great. But they are still, at the core, a bike shop.
Somebody there obviously is interested in unicycles, but they are mainly
a reseller.

Unicycle.com is the source (their name was originally
"unicyclesource.com"). The business was built from the ground up to be
all about unicycles. They are not a bike shop. They have the most
complete selection of parts and products online, and will work hard to
make sure you are a satisfied customer. If I need something, I will
always go to Unicycle.com first, to support them, then to other sources
if Uni.com doesn't have what I need.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

Alternate means of waterproofing carbon seat post interface, revisited Brian Ray Techniques 0 November 19th 04 04:56 AM
Seized seat post clamp: advice? Simon Brooke UK 8 April 14th 04 01:28 AM
Seat Post size? MSA UK 10 February 4th 04 07:12 PM
Seat comparisons Mikefule Unicycling 15 August 25th 03 07:53 AM