Manchester bus driver convicted of assaulting 65-year-old cyclist

Old November 17th 11, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Manchester bus driver convicted of assaulting 65-year-old cyclist

An ex-copper as well.
Sacked on the spot - quite right too.

QUOTE:
A Manchester bus driver who formerly served as a Metropolitan Police officer
has been convicted of assaulting a 65-year-old cyclist after repeatedly
punching him when the bike rider complained about having been cut up.

The victim, Harry Clare, grandfather of six, told Manchester Magistrates'
Court that he had been forced onto the pavement in the city's Portland
Street by a double decker bus driven by 38-year-old Neil Whittaker-Axon,
then working for the bus firm, Finglands.

Whittaker-Axon, who had been working as a bus driver for 18 months had
claimed that he acted in self-defence, but three eyewitnesses, including
another bus driver from his company, disputed his version of events, reports
the Manchester Evening News.

Mr Clare had tried to get the driver's attention after the initial incident
but received a v-sign in reply. He then followed the vehicle to Piccadilly
Bus Station.

"I thought the guy might have apologised to me and I followed him there to
say what on earth is the problem," he explained.

"His body language said he wasn't going to shake my hand. I heard the window
slam. He reached out and grabbed me by the back of the collar of my
clothing. He yanked me to the side of the bus. I felt my head banging
against something and something banging against my helmet."

Witness Davina Beresford told magistrates that Whittaker-Axon had been the
aggressive party, saying, "He was aiming strikes at his head."

Fellow bus driver Frederick Marfleet stated: "I couldn't believe it. It's
not something you do is it, hitting people?"

However, Whittaker-Axon claimed to be acting in self-defence. "I was
defending myself," he insisted. "I felt he had committed an offence and I
wanted him to be arrested and charged with it."

Convicting him of common assault by beating, magistrates fined
Whittaker-Axon £150 and he was also ordered to pay £100 costs plus £175
compensation and a £15 victim surcharge.

He was reportedly spared a custodial sentence after magistrates were told
that he had been made homeless after he lost his job with the bus company.

Colin Thompson, the Chairman of the Bench, told Whittaker-Axon: "It's very
sad. You're not an ordinary person, you've been a public servant."

After the hearing, Mr Clare, a retired joiner, commented: "It was a shock to
the system and it took me some time to get over it. It was the right
verdict."

http://road.cc/content/news/47923-ma...ng-65-year-old

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old November 17th 11, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bill

On 17/11/2011 17:29, Simon Mason wrote:
An ex-copper as well.
Sacked on the spot - quite right too.

QUOTE:
A Manchester bus driver who formerly served as a Metropolitan Police
officer has been convicted of assaulting a 65-year-old cyclist after
repeatedly punching him when the bike rider complained about having been
cut up.

The driver must have forgotten he had left the police force and believed
he could still assault someone with impunity.

Old November 17th 11, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Bill" wrote in message
On 17/11/2011 17:29, Simon Mason wrote:
An ex-copper as well.
Sacked on the spot - quite right too.

QUOTE:
A Manchester bus driver who formerly served as a Metropolitan Police
officer has been convicted of assaulting a 65-year-old cyclist after
repeatedly punching him when the bike rider complained about having been
cut up.

The driver must have forgotten he had left the police force and believed
he could still assault someone with impunity.

Nar, the yellow bellied cyclist **** himself and went to law.
He must have been so frightened.

Old November 17th 11, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
On 17/11/2011 17:29, Simon Mason wrote:
An ex-copper as well.
Sacked on the spot - quite right too.

QUOTE:
A Manchester bus driver who formerly served as a Metropolitan Police
officer has been convicted of assaulting a 65-year-old cyclist after
repeatedly punching him when the bike rider complained about having
been cut up.

The driver must have forgotten he had left the police force and
believed he could still assault someone with impunity.

Nar, the yellow bellied cyclist **** himself and went to law.
He must have been so frightened.

It wasn't a real cyclist: he was wearing a cycle helmet.

Old November 18th 11, 03:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
On 17/11/2011 17:29, Simon Mason wrote:
An ex-copper as well.
Sacked on the spot - quite right too.

QUOTE:
A Manchester bus driver who formerly served as a Metropolitan Police
officer has been convicted of assaulting a 65-year-old cyclist after
repeatedly punching him when the bike rider complained about having been
cut up.

The driver must have forgotten he had left the police force and believed
he could still assault someone with impunity.

Nar, the yellow bellied cyclist **** himself and went to law.
He must have been so frightened.

Not as frightened as the bus driver when he found out that he had been
fired.

Old November 18th 11, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 18, 7:10*am, Phil W Lee wrote:
"Simon Mason" considered Fri, 18 Nov
2011 03:26:29 -0000 the perfect time to write:

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
On 17/11/2011 17:29, Simon Mason wrote:
An ex-copper as well.
Sacked on the spot - quite right too.

QUOTE:
A Manchester bus driver who formerly served as a Metropolitan Police
officer has been convicted of assaulting a 65-year-old cyclist after
repeatedly punching him when the bike rider complained about having been
cut up.

The driver must have forgotten he had left the police force and believed
he could still assault someone with impunity.

Nar, the yellow bellied cyclist **** himself and went to law.
He must have been so frightened.

Not as frightened as the bus driver when he found out that he had been
fired.

And made homeless.- Hide quoted text -

Well, he did bring it all on himself.

Simon Mason
Old November 18th 11, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Scion

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a moment of madness has ruined his life. But as you say,
self-inflicted.
Old November 18th 11, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

It was a punch up. It happens all of the time.
Really it does Simon.

Old November 19th 11, 06:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Really it does Simon.- Hide quoted text -

Not around rural East Yorkshire it doesn't
It may do in Liverpool, Brum and Manc land though, I will concede.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 19th 11, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Just because it does not get into the local rag does not mean that it does
not happen.