Practice what you preach?

Old November 16th 18, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
True Blue[_3_]

Default Practice what you preach?

On Friday, November 16, 2018 at 9:01:35 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/11/2018 09:52, Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/14/18 11:07 PM, True Blue wrote:

Hmmm...try this:- https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...284529 597371

Thanks. That works.
Personally when coming up behind a horse I slow down and ring the bell
well in advance, and try to give the horse a wide berth. It is safer
also for me to pass outside kicking range. And the horse has plenty of
notice that I am there because of the bell, even if the rider did not
hear it.

I am not sure what the reaction to a bell would be. Voice might be more
recognisable to the horse? Anyway, I usually ask the horsist whether it
is ok to go past.

I use a bell. I only ever ride alone or with Mrs, on an old railway line that's used by quite a lot of horses. The riders are always grateful for the notice. Some of the lycra crowd just don't bother.
Old November 16th 18, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 16/11/2018 09:21, True Blue wrote:
On Friday, November 16, 2018 at 9:01:35 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/11/2018 09:52, Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/14/18 11:07 PM, True Blue wrote:

Hmmm...try this:-
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...284529 597371

Thanks. That works. Personally when coming up behind a horse I
slow down and ring the bell well in advance, and try to give the
horse a wide berth. It is safer also for me to pass outside
kicking range. And the horse has plenty of notice that I am there
because of the bell, even if the rider did not hear it.

I am not sure what the reaction to a bell would be. Voice might be
more recognisable to the horse? Anyway, I usually ask the horsist
whether it is ok to go past.

I use a bell. I only ever ride alone or with Mrs, on an old railway
line that's used by quite a lot of horses.
The riders are always grateful for the notice.

They might be used to a bell in that case. I use country roads where
they may be less familiar. I hope that my interaction gives some
indication to them that they are not "in the way" and I don't mind
slowing down.

Some of the lycra crowd just don't bother.

But do they preach something they don't practice?
Old November 17th 18, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]

On 16/11/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/11/2018 09:52, Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/14/18 11:07 PM, True Blue wrote:

Hmmm...try this:-
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...284529 597371

Thanks. That works.
Personally when coming up behind a horse I slow down and ring the bell
well in advance, and try to give the horse a wide berth. It is safer
also for me to pass outside kicking range. And the horse has plenty of
notice that I am there because of the bell, even if the rider did not
hear it.

I am not sure what the reaction to a bell would be. Voice might be more
recognisable to the horse?

I shout "cyclist behind", to my mind the horse recognises the voice as
human where as a bell... .

Merely "cyclist behind" is meant to imply (to the rider) that I am
there but not demanding to pass (I feel a bell is a bit clamouring
Though I do use one on people on their own).

Usually the result is the rider looking behind them waving me on and a
cheery wave.
Everyone is enjoying the outdoors.

Old November 17th 18, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 17/11/2018 13:52, soup wrote:
On 16/11/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/11/2018 09:52, Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/14/18 11:07 PM, True Blue wrote:

Hmmm...try this:-
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...284529 597371

Thanks. That works.
Personally when coming up behind a horse I slow down and ring the bell
well in advance, and try to give the horse a wide berth. It is safer
also for me to pass outside kicking range. And the horse has plenty of
notice that I am there because of the bell, even if the rider did not
hear it.

I am not sure what the reaction to a bell would be. Voice might be
more recognisable to the horse?

I shout "cyclist behind", to my mind the horse recognises the voice as
Â*human where as a bell... .

Merely "cyclist behind" is meant toÂ* imply (to the rider) that I am
there but not demanding to pass (I feel a bell is a bit clamouring
Though I do use one on people on their own).

I once had a "that's better than a bell" in response to my "hello".

I sometimes ride with someone that has a noisy Campag freewheel (Shimano
are so much more pleasant). He has a theory that the horse might
associate it with an unfamiliar insect so he keeps the pedals idling.

The thing about a voice is that it is inherently short range and to
communicate without sounding shouty requires the approach to be made at
very low speed. People using mechanical noise makers usually seem to
assume the message can be received, source recognised and action carried
out in about 20ms.

Usually the result is the rider looking behind them waving me on and a
cheery wave.
Everyone is enjoying the outdoors.

Indeed.
Old November 17th 18, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 17/11/2018 13:52, soup wrote:
On 16/11/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/11/2018 09:52, Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/14/18 11:07 PM, True Blue wrote:

Hmmm...try this:-
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...284529 597371

Thanks. That works.
Personally when coming up behind a horse I slow down and ring the bell
well in advance, and try to give the horse a wide berth. It is safer
also for me to pass outside kicking range. And the horse has plenty of
notice that I am there because of the bell, even if the rider did not
hear it.

I am not sure what the reaction to a bell would be. Voice might be
more recognisable to the horse?

I shout "cyclist behind",

Odd coincidence, I shout "cyclist, arsehole" (that is the usual
connotation after the first word.) One can of course precede that with
'bloody' to ensure that everyone will understand.
Old November 17th 18, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

MrCheerful wrote:
On 17/11/2018 13:52, soup wrote:
On 16/11/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/11/2018 09:52, Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/14/18 11:07 PM, True Blue wrote:

Hmmm...try this:-
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...284529 597371

Thanks. That works.
Personally when coming up behind a horse I slow down and ring the
bell well in advance, and try to give the horse a wide berth. It
is safer also for me to pass outside kicking range. And the horse
has plenty of notice that I am there because of the bell, even if
the rider did not hear it.

I am not sure what the reaction to a bell would be. Voice might be
more recognisable to the horse?

I shout "cyclist behind",

Odd coincidence, I shout "cyclist, arsehole" (that is the usual
connotation after the first word.) One can of course precede that
with 'bloody' to ensure that everyone will understand.

Should some arsehole on a bicycle ring a silly bell at me, the arsehole gets
a face full of screenwash.
But they get that every time I overtake one of these ******s.

Old November 17th 18, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 3:13:11 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

I sometimes ride with someone that has a noisy Campag freewheel (Shimano
are so much more pleasant). He has a theory that the horse might
associate it with an unfamiliar insect so he keeps the pedals idling.

I have a pair of Campag Shamals and the noise from the hub when I used dual use paths ensured that I was always heard from behind. I always thanked people for allowing me through.
Old November 17th 18, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 15:50:20 GMT, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

[]
Should some arsehole on a bicycle ring a silly bell at me, the
arsehole gets a face full of screenwash.
But they get that every time I overtake one of these ******s.

Get help, your hate will destroy you.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old November 18th 18, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 11/18/18 10:37 AM, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 15:50:20 GMT, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

[]
Should some arsehole on a bicycle ring a silly bell at me, the
arsehole gets a face full of screenwash.
But they get that every time I overtake one of these ******s.

Get help, your hate will destroy you.

And it gets done for assault. ****ing criminal.
Threatening or actual physical violence against others is assault, even
if it is against arseholes and ******s.
Old November 26th 18, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
True Blue[_3_]

On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 3:50:39 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
On 17/11/2018 13:52, soup wrote:
[...]

Your horse has a windscreen??

But they get that every time I overtake one of these ******s.