AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old November 22nd 18, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B Slocomb

Default AG: Changing Seasons

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 09:55:34 -0500, Duane
wrote:

On 22/11/2018 8:32 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 10:00:25 PM UTC-5, Joy Beeson wrote:
Had an early-morning follow-up exam today. Yesterday, knowing that
I'd leave the office a bit earlier than I usually get off when I go on
a ride, I packed the bike for a dump tour. Forgot to fill my water
bottles, but one was full and I filled the other at the hospital after
dumping a couple of magazines in the emergency room.

Back when I rode in near-zero weather, I used to blow into my bottles
instead of squeezing them, to keep ice from clogging my valve. Today
one of my bottles was too stiff to squeeze even though the temperature
was above freezing most of the time.

I just realized that there are three reasons I no longer go out when
the water freezes in my bottle. All these years I've been thinking
that it's partly because of all these years and mostly because I live
on a side street instead of on a state road that I shared with three
snowplow garages, two schools, two fire stations, one sheriff's
sub-station, the county dispatcher, and an ambulance squad.

While writing the...

The season prematurely changed here in Ottawa. It looks as if the snow is here to stay until March and the temperatures are to drop to -20C tomorrow--and that's not including wind chill.
--

Same thing here in Montreal. Seems like the shortest autumn in memory.
Looks like we're into full blown winter.

A friend in Hungary e-mailed me on the 18th, "we had snow overnight.
Even the old folks can't remember it ever snowing this early".
Old November 25th 18, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. So was the day before yesterday.

Today's column is four dozen devilled eggs.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old November 26th 18, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 19:14:59 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Today's column is four dozen devilled eggs.

Turned out to be five dozen. I brought nine home. Five curry, four
horseradish.

Weather Underground says I might be able to return my library book on
Thursday.

Old November 28th 18, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: I hung my bike up for the winter

Yesterday we made room in the garage for the car. One of the things
in its space was my Trek Pure bicycle-shaped object, which I use as a
pedal-powered wheelchair.

Spouse had installed a pulley system in his shop for storing the
Raleigh Pro we later gave to his great-nephew, so we rolled the Pure
out there; the pulley system needed only to have the rope put back on
one of the pulleys (which we discovered with the bike halfway up) and
a new cleat to tie the rope off with.

It took both of us to get it up there, but I can get it down by
myself. Today I can. I fretted that I might not be able to if I
needed it, but he said that I can send him to get it down and bring it
around front.

Old December 2nd 18, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

I sort of *have* put my bike away for the winter. I've decided to
write December off, and drive the car to buy groceries. We need
seltzer anyway -- now that we both drink it, a 12-pack doesn't last a
week and I can't haul it on the bike that fast. [Filled my trunk on
Saturday. Had to put some of my groceries in the back seat, and our
new car insisted that I fasten the seat belts.]

In January I'll take the ten-mile dump tour (library, Owen's, ER,
Goodwill) a couple of times, then, if the roads aren't slick on a dry
Friday, extend it into the spectacularly-easy twenty-mile round trip
to Leesburg: no hills unless I come back the long way, and not much
hill even then now that I know how to avoid Silveus Crossing.
Low-traffic roads all the way, except for having to cross SR15 twice
at Walmart. I have to use a bit of 15 to get across the Tippy, but
just as the wide shoulder runs out, I can turn right and cut through a
housing development to Levi Lee. And if I can't manage the left turn
onto 15, I can go straight and turn around to make it a right turn.

Or I could ride a mile west and go north on 150W instead of Old 15.

On Friday, I read this in Ink-Free News:

http://www.inkfreenews.com/2018/11/2...some-cyclists/

Quote:

Although once in a great while Gunter will ride and not have a
particular destination in mind, he usually prefers otherwise. “I like
to have a place I need to be,” he said, such as checking the Warsaw
Biblical Gardens he maintains.

Riding between Leesburg [where Gunter lives] and Warsaw can be
challenging because there are no off-road trails between the two
towns. Gunter said utilizing the old roadbed of the former Winona
Interurban Railway might be an option for placing a trail someday.

Unquote.

By the way, I can't find any trace of the Interurban on satellite
view, except for McKinley Street (and the sidewalk beside Park Avenue
here in Winona Lake, also a ridge in the mountain-bike trails that I
used to think was an esker.)

Can't find any maps of it on the Web, either, but I did find evidence
that it did go to Leesburg.

Old December 9th 18, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 01 Dec 2018 22:36:57 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I've decided to
write December off,

Well, hardly ever.

I checked out a seven-day book last Saturday. Turned out to be a
novella (_Mira's Last Dance_ by Lois McMaster Bujold), and I read all
of it on Sunday evening and started on _Brothers in Arms_.

So I had to go downtown yesterday or today. Weather Underground
predicted that both days would be suitable for riding, and there was a
mini-sale at the library today, but I had a functioning lamp to
dispose of at the recycle center and it had been a long time since I
went downtown on a weekday.

Yesterday I woke up at nine, and had finished dressing at 11:49.
Shortly after I passed the bridge, I turned around, put on my
windbreaker, and made a second start at 11:57. Oddly, my
mystery-fiber gloves were sufficient and my mittens stayed in my
insulated pannier. (The un-insulated pannier was full of well-packed
lamp.)

Despite not wearing mittens, I didn't take very good notes. I left
Zale's at 12:30 and left the library at 12:56.

Arrived at the recycle center, unpacked the lamp, walked to the door,
and met a sign saying that they close at 13:00 on Fridays. Carried
the lamp around back in hope that someone was still in; nobody around
except a motor vehicle that arrived to offload into one or more of the
trash bins.

So I re-packed the lamp, having to pull more packing material out of
the bag of bags because some of what had been around the lamp is now
under it.

Bought two tablets of chocolate, left Sherman & Lynn's at 13:43, got
home at 14:11. Having mis-judged a red light, I came home by the
Heritage Trail instead of Park Avenue. Didn't feel like sprinting
past parked cars anyway, said the fox.

Weather Underground says that I can hang out wash on Monday, and
Tuesday will be a good day to try to get rid of the lamp again. With
both Sunday and Monday being sunny with a high of freezing, the
streets should be clean. And Tuesday the high is a tad above
freezing, but the wind will be 11 mph. At least it blows toward home
the whole day.

Pity I didn't write down the hours they are open on other days.

Oops, it doesn't matter. My annual check-up is on Monday, which means
I have to wash on Tuesday, and it's going to snow on Wednesday.

Seems like just last century that I could ride on a snowy road.