Why is SRAM going with a 10s ...

Old November 29th 05, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Why is SRAM going with a 10s ...

road group and not just chains and cassettes??

I noticed this recently ... was glad to see them in the 10s biz ... but why
the group?? Don't get me wrong I am happy to see this ... i love anything
other than Shimano ... having Campy on my road bike;-) Just wondering why
they did not do this with the 9s groups??

http://chapter11bikes.com
http://chapter11sk8.com

Old November 29th 05, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The top three groups of both Shimano (Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105) and
Campagnolo (Record, Chorus, Centaur) are all 10 speed. In other words,
anything halfway decent that you'd want on your bike is 10 speed. So
why would SRAM build a 9 speed group? The main 9 speed competition are
the Tiagra and Sora groups - not very appealing.

A huge amount of SRAM's business is with existing Shimano customers -
the SRAM and Shimano groups are fully compatible. That means SRAM *has*
to be 10 speed, or lose business.

Old November 29th 05, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

smiles wrote:
road group and not just chains and cassettes??

I noticed this recently ... was glad to see them in the 10s biz ... but why
the group?? Don't get me wrong I am happy to see this ... i love anything
other than Shimano ... having Campy on my road bike;-) Just wondering why
they did not do this with the 9s groups??

http://chapter11bikes.com
http://chapter11sk8.com

Well, for good or ill, that is the direction that road casettes are a
going and about the limit they will go considering 130mm spacing, hub
design and cog/chain thickness, reliability.

If they were to start at 9s they would be viewed as 'inferior' by those
that care about such things.

Old November 29th 05, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 29 Nov 2005 06:10:30 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"

A huge amount of SRAM's business is with existing Shimano customers -
the SRAM and Shimano groups are fully compatible

Not exactly...lots of rear ders and shfiters from Sram are cross
compatible with shimano but their high end is not, from Sram.

Rear derailer cable pull isn't, but front derailer cable pull and cassette
spacing *are*. That means that all that goes together is their shifter and
rear derailer, on the high end only, and all the rest is mix'n'match. I
wouldn't call that being terribly incompatible. Don't the SRAM shifters
use Shimano inner cable ends, as well? And housing's compatible through
all manufacturers, essentially.

Jasper
Old November 29th 05, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote in message
oups.com...
The top three groups of both Shimano (Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105) and
Campagnolo (Record, Chorus, Centaur) are all 10 speed. In other words,
anything halfway decent that you'd want on your bike is 10 speed. So
why would SRAM build a 9 speed group? The main 9 speed competition are
the Tiagra and Sora groups - not very appealing.

Sora is still, and probably will forever be, 8-speed.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 30th 05, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:29:26 -0500, "smiles"
wrote:

road group and not just chains and cassettes??

IMO, it's precisely because $himano has done such a stunning job of
propagandizing the market about the Need To Have The Whole Group. I'm
guessing that SRAM decided it was easier to just take the extra money
and not have to spend any time explaining that the customer doesn't
need that other stuff.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old November 30th 05, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:08:49 -0800, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Well, for good or ill, that is the direction that road casettes are a
going and about the limit they will go considering 130mm spacing, hub
design and cog/chain thickness, reliability.

Well they can change all that too if they want. Shimano has tried
smaller chains before, and had working prototypes but never marketed it.
They've shown plans for a 14 speed cassette, also using a smaller
chain.

If they were to start at 9s they would be viewed as 'inferior' by those
that care about such things.

I thought 7sp was plenty, even for mountain bikes. With 9 and 10 speed
cassettes, I sometimes wonder why have more than one chainring anymore.
What really gets me is how the 10sp cassettes have no wider range than the
8 or 9. It would be nice to have that 16t cog though...

Matt O.