What's up with these Fitness Centers?

Old November 29th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Never Enough Money[_2_]

Default What's up with these Fitness Centers?

I am on a job assignment in Stockholm Sweden for a few years (can't
wait to get back to Colorado). The weather has gotten so bad and
daylight in such short supply that I've started going to spinners
classes at a local gym. However, the classes are at odd times and only
30 minutes!

So I just went into the room with the spinners bikes, put on my iPod
at 115 decibles and made my own workout.... till...they came in and
asked me to get out. They said it had to do with insurance.

Any of you know the real skinny on this? Why would these machines have
a different insurance than the weight machines or the other aerobics
machines? Any ideas?
Old November 29th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Martin

On Nov 29, 12:59 pm, Never Enough Money
wrote:
I am on a job assignment in Stockholm Sweden for a few years (can't
wait to get back to Colorado). The weather has gotten so bad and
daylight in such short supply that I've started going to spinners
classes at a local gym. However, the classes are at odd times and only
30 minutes!

So I just went into the room with the spinners bikes, put on my iPod
at 115 decibles and made my own workout.... till...they came in and
asked me to get out. They said it had to do with insurance.

Any of you know the real skinny on this? Why would these machines have
a different insurance than the weight machines or the other aerobics
machines? Any ideas?

I used to do that all the time when I was living out of a hotel. I
got pretty good at doing 3 hours rides on a spin bike in the dark
watching TdF DVDs on my laptop. I asked first, but they were fine with
it provided it didn't interfere with a class. You could ask them if
you can wheel the bike out into the common area so you're "supervised"?
Old November 29th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:59:28 -0800 (PST), Never Enough Money
may have said:

Any of you know the real skinny on this? Why would these machines have
a different insurance than the weight machines or the other aerobics
machines? Any ideas?

I'd say the only definitive answer is to be had from the source. I
could make several guesses, one of them involving the possibility that
if those are actual Spinning[tm] machines, the fitness center may be
contractually obligated to have a certified Spinning[tm] instructor
present when they are in use. (Yes, someone has trademarked the word
Spinning[tm], at least here in the US.)

Old November 30th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Never Enough Money wrote:
I am on a job assignment in Stockholm Sweden for a few years (can't
wait to get back to Colorado)....

I would be happy to transfer to Stockholm if it was offered to me.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter
Old November 30th 07, 10:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A R:nen

Werehatrack writes:

(Yes, someone has trademarked the word
Spinning[tm], at least here in the US.)

(Could someone please register MASHING(TM) as well?)
Old November 30th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Nov 29, 3:59 pm, Never Enough Money
wrote:
I am on a job assignment in Stockholm Sweden for a few years (can't
wait to get back to Colorado). The weather has gotten so bad and
daylight in such short supply that I've started going to spinners
classes at a local gym. However, the classes are at odd times and only
30 minutes!

So I just went into the room with the spinners bikes, put on my iPod
at 115 decibles and made my own workout.... till...they came in and
asked me to get out. They said it had to do with insurance.

Any of you know the real skinny on this? Why would these machines have
a different insurance than the weight machines or the other aerobics
machines? Any ideas?

It is indeed comical that any 130lb guy can come in and start throwing
weights around, but spin bikes are a perceived threat.

My gym is the same way, and often lock the room when classes aren't in
session. However, as with most things, enforcement largely depends on
who's working. They've put an older spin bike outside the room, so now
I can listen to my ipod while either checking out aerobics classes to
my left, espn clips on the tv to my right, or myself looking intense
in a mirror front and center. FAR better situation than being forced
to bear disco remixes, motivational "challenges" from meth'd-out
instructors (who make me grind my teeth a la Hamilton), locked in a
room sealing in the pungeance of unwashed sweaty lycra.

Ugh. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

/s
Old November 30th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

wrote:
[...]

Just curious, how much do you guys pay for all this abuse?
-tom

Old November 30th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 29, 1:59 pm, Never Enough Money
wrote:
I am on a job assignment in Stockholm Sweden for a few years (can't
wait to get back to Colorado). The weather has gotten so bad and
daylight in such short supply that I've started going to spinners
classes at a local gym. However, the classes are at odd times and only
30 minutes!

So I just went into the room with the spinners bikes, put on my iPod
at 115 decibles and made my own workout.... till...they came in and
asked me to get out. They said it had to do with insurance.

Any of you know the real skinny on this? Why would these machines have
a different insurance than the weight machines or the other aerobics
machines? Any ideas?

Dear Dick,

Perhaps they'll relent if you wear a helmet?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 30th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:34:32 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
may have said:

Just curious, how much do you guys pay for all this abuse?

Shhh! Don't let the local governments find out that people will pay
to have a place to exercise, or they'll start putting in toll paths.

Old December 5th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Never Enough Money[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I did ask that they bring one out but they refused.