Air leaking in SKS Rennkompressor pump

Old May 29th 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rob Lindauer[_2_]

Default Air leaking in SKS Rennkompressor pump

My recently-purchased pump seems to leak air when I'm at about 2 bar / 30 lb

When I start to inflate a tire, the first couple strokes (up to about
30#b) work normally.

For the next several strokes (around 30#), it seems that air is leaking
past the plunger (don't know the correct terminology for the barrel
washer or whatever that actually compresses the air). I can hear a lot
of hissing air, and the strokes seem pretty ineffective, not much
movement in the pressure gauge.

Once I get a bit above 30# (up to 100#, which is as high as I go on my
bike), the pump seems to work normally - no more leaking air.

I presume this is not normal behavior. Can you guide in what corrective
steps to take? Replace the barrel washer (eyeballing mine, I don't see
defects, but I don't know I'd recognize one anyway)? Lubricate the
barrel (and what's the recommended lubricant)? Something else?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
--
Rob Lindauer - for my real email, change "att" to "sbc"
Old May 30th 10, 10:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 29 May, 19:48, Rob Lindauer wrote:
[...]

Clean and lubricate the barrel with silicone lubricant.

US/MA -- SKS Rennkompressor Parts availability Jack McCue Techniques 3 July 9th 08 12:23 PM
[Hayes 9] leaking problem mmateusz Techniques 1 May 17th 08 05:41 AM
Leaking Maguras pkittle Unicycling 12 April 17th 08 03:05 AM
Grease leaking from rear hub Michael Shaffer Techniques 3 February 16th 06 03:31 PM
CO 2 leaking thru tires marco007esq General 33 January 24th 05 02:38 PM