Network Rail also cracking down on RLJs

Old August 22nd 15, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Network Rail also cracking down on RLJs

QUOTE:
"The first two months of red light safety cameras at Furze Platt level crossing have proved successful in reducing dangerous behaviour.

In June, Network Rail installed two red light safety cameras either side of the crossing to tackle one of the most misused sites on the Western Route, with 31 recorded incidents in 2014, including one near miss.

Alan Durham, Network Rail's level crossing manager, said: "Since the cameras were installed we've had no major incidents of misuse by motorists at the crossing. This is very encouraging and shows the cameras are acting as a deterrent, which was our aim in installing them."

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co....s-06082015.htm

Old August 22nd 15, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

More on these new cameras.

QUOTE:
"It is a well-known fact that there are a number of motorists that continue to drive across level crossings after the 'wig wag' stop lights have been activated.

These drivers are placing themselves, their passengers and the staff and passengers on the trains at risk of serious injury or even death. Coupled with this is the inconvenience to passengers and the expense of getting the rail line back into operation after an incident."

http://www.railengineer.uk/2015/08/1...vel-crossings/
Old August 22nd 15, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

"Alycidon" wrote in message
QUOTE:
"The first two months of red light safety cameras at Furze Platt level
crossing have proved successful in reducing dangerous behaviour.

In June, Network Rail installed two red light safety cameras either side of
the crossing to tackle one of the most misused sites on the Western Route,
with 31 recorded incidents in 2014, including one near miss.

Alan Durham, Network Rail's level crossing manager, said: "Since the cameras
were installed we've had no major incidents of misuse by motorists at the
crossing. This is very encouraging and shows the cameras are acting as a
deterrent, which was our aim in installing them."

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co....s-06082015.htm

So, no mention of cyclists breaking the law then.
uk.rec.driving is that way --------------------------------
The idiotic Peter Hucker has destroyed it, but go post driving topics there
anyway.

Old August 22nd 15, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Alycidon" wrote in message

More on these new cameras.

QUOTE:
"It is a well-known fact that there are a number of motorists that continue
to drive across level crossings after the 'wig wag' stop lights have been
activated.

These drivers are placing themselves, their passengers and the staff and
passengers on the trains at risk of serious injury or even death. Coupled
with this is the inconvenience to passengers and the expense of getting the
rail line back into operation after an incident."

http://www.railengineer.uk/2015/08/1...vel-crossings/

Does that mean this sort of stupidity will be stopped?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZlKe9PIPEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXHKEe1yYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyI1ozTGVBk

Old August 22nd 15, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Saturday, 22 August 2015 16:59:56 UTC+1, Tarcap wrote:
"Alycidon" wrote in message

More on these new cameras.

QUOTE:
"It is a well-known fact that there are a number of motorists that continue
to drive across level crossings after the 'wig wag' stop lights have been
activated.

These drivers are placing themselves, their passengers and the staff and
passengers on the trains at risk of serious injury or even death. Coupled
with this is the inconvenience to passengers and the expense of getting the
rail line back into operation after an incident."

http://www.railengineer.uk/2015/08/1...vel-crossings/

Does that mean this sort of stupidity will be stopped?:

No - it's more aimed at preventing this sort of carnage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Yorkshire.html

Although to be fair to the driver - there was no red light in this case, he should have phoned instead.

Old August 22nd 15, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

"The first two months of red light safety cameras at Furze Platt level
crossing have proved successful in reducing dangerous behaviour.

In June, Network Rail installed two red light safety cameras either side of
the crossing to tackle one of the most misused sites on the Western Route,
with 31 recorded incidents in 2014, including one near miss.

Alan Durham, Network Rail's level crossing manager, said: "Since the cameras
were installed we've had no major incidents of misuse by motorists at the
crossing. This is very encouraging and shows the cameras are acting as a
deterrent, which was our aim in installing them."

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co....s-06082015.htm

So, no mention of cyclists breaking the law then.

There might be some theoretical chance of the bottom bracket somehow getting in the exact right position on a rail to derail a train.

Do you know of any _actual_ incidents of cyclists causing train wrecks?

Old August 22nd 15, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

"Bret Cahill" wrote in message
[...]

Where did I mention train wrecks?

Old August 22nd 15, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

[...]

It was cited early in the the thread as a reason for the cameras:

"These drivers are placing themselves, their passengers and the staff and passengers on the trains at risk of serious injury or even death."

Once that was posted it was not really possible to lump cyclists in with motorists unless you believe cyclists cause train wrecks at the same rate as motorists.

This is important for those of us who may on rare occasion take limited risks with our own lives in special situations but under no circumstances would risk the lives of innocent strangers to save a few minutes on a routine commute.

That's got to be the most horrific collectivization of costs to privatize benefits.

Bret Cahill

Old August 22nd 15, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

[...]

Why would you need to mention it?

Unless you are disreputable and trying to sneak-change the context then you don't need to mention it. It was cited early in the the thread as a reason for the cameras:

RLJs Tony Raven UK 3 October 23rd 06 09:28 AM
Dish Network Pulls Outdoor Life Network [email protected] General 12 October 29th 05 04:40 PM
Dish Network Pulls Outdoor Life Network Neil Brooks Racing 10 October 24th 05 01:29 PM
Dish Network Pulls Outdoor Life Network [email protected] General 0 October 22nd 05 03:16 AM
Network Rail in Scotland still trying to prevent access David Hansen UK 20 February 17th 05 10:27 PM