Noise from new Sunrace cassette

Old November 23rd 18, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Noise from new Sunrace cassette

After installing a new Sunrace 40-11T cassette (minus one cog), a new
chain and a new rear derailer the road bike can now climb hills much
better. 40T as biggest cog versus 32T before. Woohoo!

However, on the middle and three larger cogs (it's now a 7-speed) there
is a distinct vrrrt .. vrrrt sound when under heavy load. Maybe from the
chain because with a derailer setup it'll never run 100% straight. Hard
to say. The noise appears briefly twice per pedal crank rotation and
always on the power strokes.

The chain is a KMC Z50 that should be suited for 7-speed and I looked,
it doesn't rub against a neighbor cog. Maybe a "teeth exit grinding"? On
the 3rd cog from the largest it's really weird because that has an
almost perfect chain line when on the small chain ring up front.

Anyone heard that before? Can it simply be ignored? Or maybe it'll go
away over time?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 23rd 18, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 16:05:54 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

I've had a noise from a front derailer due to the chain rubbing on the
derailer "cage".
Old November 23rd 18, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like some distortion somewhere under load.
Does something need a clean; both pedal bearings, the bottom bracket, the
chain ring bolts(clean and tighten), etc

The only other sound maker I've come across rarely is chain rubbing on
chain from too much wrap in the rear derauiller or chain rubbing on tyre
from great sag/too little pick up in the rear derauiller but the fact
that is across four cogs is would indicate that it isn't likely.

Old November 23rd 18, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 7:05:29 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
[...]

Frame Flexing a bit allowing the chain to touch those cogs? That could be why you don't see the chain touching the cogs when the bike is stopped.

Cheers
Old November 23rd 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

It's definitely not that. The chain visibly doesn't rub anywhere.

Old November 23rd 18, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-11-23 06:52, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

It's a fairly rigid steel frame but this could certainly be a
possibility. I'll have a buddy who is a machinist take a close look
while I step on it full tilt with the brakes applied.

Weird thing is, to test for that I cocked the rear wheel slightly left
(it has long dropout slots with vernier peg screws) and the sound did
not change at all.

If my buddy doesn't see anything skewing I am tempted to just go riding
with that. I guess a 1982 bike is allowed some clunker sounds. At least
then cyclists will hear me coming when I want to pass them :-)

Old November 23rd 18, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

You've checked that whilst riding? I find it interesting that the noise ONLY happens on the power stroke.

Cheers
Old November 23rd 18, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

While slowly riding up a hill under high power and then again with
applied brakes leaning against a wall. However, on Sunday I'll have a
friend take a close look while doing that.

What's really weird is that it also emits this noise while on the
largest 40T cog where it doesn't have a chance to rub against anything
in the cassette. I can clearly see that it doesn't rub at the front
derailer. My guess is that it is some sort to "teeth disengangement" sound.

Another thing I found out is that one has to carefully and somewhat
slowly shift onto the largest cog, else the chain flies over it and into
the spokes. That is no problem though because I'll only use that on
really steep hills. For most hills the (for me new) 36T will suffice.
When I service this next time maybe I'll take the cogs off, make an
aluminum protector disc, drill it and the 40T cog and mount that towards
the spoke side. Should catch the chain.

Old November 23rd 18, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Joerg - in my experience this is because the rear derailleur is ever so slightly out of alignment. If it is towards the higher cog it will often "hop" and towards the lower side it will growl. This sort of misalignment general is only 1/8ith or less of a turn of the rear cable adjuster.

You can also have a problem with a 7 speed chain on your reduced cassette. While 7 and 8 speed gears have the same spacing between cogs and the same cog width, some manufacturers are using 10 speed components supposedly with wider spacers that may be not wide enough for 10 speed cogs.
Old November 23rd 18, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I have friction shifters and tried all sorts of fine adjustments. The
growl is independent of it.

You can also have a problem with a 7 speed chain on your reduced
cassette. While 7 and 8 speed gears have the same spacing between
cogs and the same cog width, some manufacturers are using 10 speed
components supposedly with wider spacers that may be not wide enough
for 10 speed cogs.

Ok, but it doesn't rub against a neighboring cog which is about the only
thing that could happen with a chain that is too wide. The growl even
happens when on the largest cogs an in perfect aligment.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

New hubs from Sunrace [email protected] Techniques 0 October 15th 13 03:35 AM
Sunrace rear mech. Bill UK 2 August 5th 09 09:00 AM
More noise from my campy cassette and DT hub Jeff[_4_] Techniques 5 October 29th 07 02:48 AM
FA SUNRACE Front Mech Derailleur for TRIPLE cranks MO UK 0 March 10th 06 01:51 PM
WTB Sunrace JuJu 36 hole cassette rear hub [email protected] Marketplace 0 October 23rd 05 11:02 PM