What is the hand signal for 'I am going to make a U turn' ?

Old November 25th 18, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

Default What is the hand signal for 'I am going to make a U turn' ?

On 25/11/2018 11:19, Simon Jester wrote:

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 11:05:34 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/24/18 11:10 PM, MrCheerful wrote:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ncludes-365122

Arm out straight (like making a right turn.)
Look and listen first before making turn.
Signal at least three seconds before attempting to make turn.
I have been saved many times by actually glancing behind *before* making
the turn.

Known as the 'life saver'. At least that was what is was called when I took my motorcycle training in 1982.

I've heard of that before. A lifelong friend is a big motor-bike
enthusiast (real bikes, not the things they make today) and he is at
least still with us.
Old November 25th 18, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 25/11/2018 12:58, JNugent wrote:
On 25/11/2018 11:19, Simon Jester wrote:

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 11:05:34 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/24/18 11:10 PM, MrCheerful wrote:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ncludes-365122

Arm out straight (like making a right turn.)
Look and listen first before making turn.
Signal at least three seconds before attempting to make turn.
I have been saved many times by actually glancing behind *before* making
the turn.

Known as the 'life saver'. At least that was what is was called when I
took my motorcycle training in 1982.

I've heard of that before. A lifelong friend is a big motor-bike
enthusiast (real bikes, not the things they make today) and he is at
least still with us.

and there is the difference: training.
Old November 25th 18, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 1:00:02 PM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
On 25/11/2018 12:58, JNugent wrote:
On 25/11/2018 11:19, Simon Jester wrote:

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 11:05:34 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/24/18 11:10 PM, MrCheerful wrote:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ncludes-365122

Arm out straight (like making a right turn.)
Look and listen first before making turn.
Signal at least three seconds before attempting to make turn.
I have been saved many times by actually glancing behind *before* making
the turn.

Known as the 'life saver'. At least that was what is was called when I
took my motorcycle training in 1982.

I've heard of that before. A lifelong friend is a big motor-bike
enthusiast (real bikes, not the things they make today) and he is at
least still with us.

and there is the difference: training.

So you agree that everyone should take a bicycle training course before they can apply for a driving licence and should have to renew their cycle training every 3 years.
Old November 25th 18, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 1:44:54 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:

So you agree that everyone should take a bicycle training course before they can apply for a driving licence and should have to renew their cycle training every 3 years.

I have passed TWO cycling proficiency tests and yet passed my motorcycle test in 1977 with NO training at all. Same with my car test which I took in my dad's car, also with NO training. Lots of us did in the 1970's as we could not afford lessons with a school.
Old November 25th 18, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 4:34:40 PM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 1:44:54 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:

So you agree that everyone should take a bicycle training course before they can apply for a driving licence and should have to renew their cycle training every 3 years.

I have passed TWO cycling proficiency tests and yet passed my motorcycle test in 1977 with NO training at all. Same with my car test which I took in my dad's car, also with NO training. Lots of us did in the 1970's as we could not afford lessons with a school.

What is your point?
Things have changed since 1977. Back then bicycles were just for poor council house parasites like Pounder, now they are the primary mode of transport for intelligent, educated, professionals.
Old November 25th 18, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 25/11/2018 17:59, Simon Jester wrote:

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 4:34:40 PM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 1:44:54 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:

So you agree that everyone should take a bicycle training course before they can apply for a driving licence and should have to renew their cycle training every 3 years.

I have passed TWO cycling proficiency tests and yet passed my motorcycle test in 1977 with NO training at all. Same with my car test which I took in my dad's car, also with NO training. Lots of us did in the 1970's as we could not afford lessons with a school.

What is your point?

Things have changed since 1977. Back then bicycles were just for poor council house parasites like Pounder, now they are the primary mode of transport for intelligent, educated, professionals...

....plus you and (the other) Simon, don't forget.
Old November 25th 18, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 6:28:23 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I don't understand that, please explain.
Old November 25th 18, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 5:59:47 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 4:34:40 PM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 1:44:54 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:

So you agree that everyone should take a bicycle training course before they can apply for a driving licence and should have to renew their cycle training every 3 years.

I have passed TWO cycling proficiency tests and yet passed my motorcycle test in 1977 with NO training at all. Same with my car test which I took in my dad's car, also with NO training. Lots of us did in the 1970's as we could not afford lessons with a school.

What is your point?
Things have changed since 1977.

Agreed - there is more training for motorcycling and driving now, which is why you never see drivers speeding, using phones or getting parking tickets as the level of training is so high these days.
Old November 25th 18, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 25/11/2018 19:28, Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

Don't understate your ability to comprehend English.
Old November 26th 18, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 9:31:42 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I thought for a moment you were capable of having an adult discussion.
Clearly I was mistaken.