A few months waxing chain

Old December 7th 18, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default A few months waxing chain

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 7:45:03 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 2:09:18 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/6/2018 3:45 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 11:41:49 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/6/2018 12:40 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 7:40:50 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/5/2018 6:17 PM, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 05 Dec 2018 13:55:44 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/5/2018 11:49 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/5/2018 12:16 PM,
wrote:
On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 7:26:52 PM UTC-8, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 5:37:55 PM UTC-5,
wrote:

Frank - how often do you clean your chain and re-wax?
How much off-road riding do you do?

I think I re-wax maybe every 500 miles or so. With my
method, there
is no separate "clean your chain" step. I just add
wax/oil mix
using a propane torch while the chain is on the bike. The
only
cleaning is backpedaling the chain through paper towels
once the
entire chain has gotten it's fresh wax.

These days I do only a little off-road riding. Until
recently I was
on the board of trustees of our local forest preserve. I
would ride
through the trails once in a while to see if there were
problems,
and I would cut through on my way to certain
destinations. There
are a few other gravel roads I would use on occasion, but
most of
my riding is paved.

BTW, I had two hospital stays this year, and associated
recovery.
It's been a terrible year for cycling. I don't think I've
done the
chains since February.

- Frank Krygowski

Well, from my experience I cannot understand how you don't
get wax build-up on the cogs and rings. This isn't some
build-up, inside of 500 miles I have to take the cassette
and rings off because you cannot clean them without
scraping and then a final wash with acetone. I don't buy
acetone to keep something highly volatile around the house
but because it's necessary.

It may be that final step, backpedaling the chain through a
handful of paper towels to polish off the excess. But even
the little bit that eventually appears on the chainrings is
easy for me to wipe off. Maybe it's softer because of the
small amount of oil I've mixed into the wax.

For several weeks I have been completely unable to ride
because of bronchitis. This is the worst I've ever had
with coughing all night.

sigh I've been fighting that for several years, and
dreading winter because of it. Fortunately, it skipped me
last winter. My fingers are crossed this year.

But I think it triggered other problems - that is,
antibiotics affecting my gut microbiome. C. Diff is no fun.
Email if you want details.

Sounds awful but at least you lived. Best wishes on a speedy
recovery.

The Great American Inscrutable Billing Machine ( a.k.a.
'health care') kills about 35,000* people every year with
hospital-acquired infection. Not infection, mind you, but
rather specifically hospital-acquired infection. Visit at
your peril; financial, biological, existential.

*I've seen estimates double that and higher but 35K is
commonly cited.

Simply quoting a number doesn't give an accurate view of the problem,
however, in terms of deaths due to health care per 100,000 of
population the U.S. leads the pack with 826/100,000 in 2013 while in
comparison Japan had 598/100,000. See
https://tinyurl.com/ybaq8vx5

From the same site the number of USians who have "have experienced
medical, medication, or lab errors or delays in past two years" is 22%
while an average of comparative countries is 16% with the U.K. having
only 8%.

In addition total health expenditures per capita, U.S. dollars, PPP
adjusted, 2016, is the highest in the world. An average of comparable
countries is approximately half of what costs are in the U.S. See:
https://tinyurl.com/yaavfq6p

There are other problems as well, of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs

--
- Frank Krygowski

He did a good job of describing the problems and didn't identify their sources. The destruction of this country is at the hands of the millennial generation to who the word, "no", has never been uttered. They actually believe that they are entitled to do anything they want to do and if anyone stands in their way it is because they are evil and not because the millennial is wrong.

Look at people like Slocum who judges value as the price of an object or Jay who lives in a town where people will **** in the doorway of a business while people walk by ignoring it. The entire downtown of Portland smells like **** and people there treat it as normal.

Hmm. That's a different Portland than the one I've visited many times.

Hey, I'm not going to claim that Portland is not dysfunctional and that we don't have a homeless problem, and I'm sure there is **** in some doorway somewhere, but its not the post-apocalyptic hell hole TK envisions. There are way too many people in the bike facilities, however -- which makes it my own personal hell hole. I must say, though, that I had a very peaceful ride up through the cemetery on Tuesday night -- nobody racing (by) me unlike the usual scrum: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/37/f4...ae475a917b.jpg
Pitch black, and very moody with my low watt head light. Just me and the dead people. Totally **** free, except maybe some squirrel ****.

-- Jay Beattie.

Thanks.
Those of us who don't ride in Portland have to reply on the
Fake News industry

https://katu.com/news/local/trimet-a...e-camp-cleanup
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Andrew, the smell starting from the downtown and downwind is unmistakable.. Do the Seattle-Portland if you doubt me. And if you ask in gas station what that smell is they are pretty plain telling you. This ISN'T at homeless encampments but in the downtown. The main highway going through there has a by-pass but if you take the main highway right through Portland and pull off, wow.

All the highways (5/205/405) go through Portland unless you've found some other way of getting to Seattle. Yep, we have homeless -- just like the Bay Area. If you come up with some solution, please let me know.

Here's a driving tip. Don't take I-405. The Freemont Bridge is super-congested: https://nevjudd.files.wordpress.com/...8/img_8288.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 7th 18, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/7/2018 1:17 PM, jbeattie wrote:

wrote:

[...]

From the same site the number of USians who have "have experienced
[...]

Wow, medication time. Have you even been to Portland?

And why are you so angry? With your massive earnings in the stock market and the Trump tax break, I would think you'd be living like a king, totally unconcerned about the incontinent heathens in Portland. With the new big China deal, you'll be buying those cheap Chinese wheels for $5-10. Korea . . . managed! Be happy. Don't worry!

-- Jay Beattie.

Yes, I've been to Portland and will not return. Watching businesses power washing human feces out of their doorways and the smell of the city couldn't be plainer. Or perhaps you forget I have family in Seattle? Just driving through Portland has a disgusting smell. The Portland city flag should have a picture of a man bending down with his pants down crapping on the F-ing main street.

Wow again. Have you quit your meds altogether? Not a good thing. For those watching at home, I've never seen any business pressure washing feces out of its doorway, and I'm downtown every work day and most weekends. Certainly not happening at my office. https://drammapermusica.files.wordpr...andskyline.jpg I'm in the tall white building. Stunning view of Mt. Hood from our library. It's almost as pretty as Oakland.

-- Jay Beattie.

I don't know from Portland but it's a meme for San Francisco:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=poop+on+si...ages&ia=images

Maybe Tom forgot where he was when he experienced it.

Old December 7th 18, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

From the same site the number of USians who have "have experienced
[...]

Homeless and feces go together like . . . well, homeless and feces, so I'm sure there is some **** downtown somewhere. However, I walked across downtown this afternoon searching for **** and found none, unless you count my crappy lunch. BUT, there are many other offensive things downtown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO_h7F6BBsE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcjlt-RPVY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H2IqAlqhms

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 8th 18, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

From the same site the number of USians who have "have experienced
[...]

You certainly have a dearth of musicians in your town :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 8th 18, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:
[...]

Any pig farms or feed lots in the valley?
We hade a pig **** pond go off kilter 20 miles out of town one decade and
the pong was gasping at times. Local government eventually forced the pig
farmer out as the pig farmer couldn't fix the problem.

Old December 9th 18, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

From the same site the number of USians who have "have experienced
[...]

Jay forgets that it is common citizens and not homeless doing this in Portland.

Old December 12th 18, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 14:28:51 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

John, That's it, I'm a failure though my net worth is over a million
dollars.

Wait - you've complained about not being able to find a job, you've
complained loud and long about how terrible your neighborhood is, but
with a million dollars socked away you can't find something better??
Sheesh!

Exactly and shows what a useless wang measure it is.

Easy and very unwise to have that $USmillion locked up in your own home.
we have a more economical and lesser home and an equivalent amount in an
"investment' property now returning an income. Alternatively, you could
have some of it in shares if you wanted the risk.or govenment bonds(YMMV)
for lowest risk.

Old December 12th 18, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/11/2018 8:51 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Time for a story! After they installed the metal detectors over at the old federal court house, I was going in for a hearing and the Marshals out front decided to play a joke on me. I'm sliding my brief case through the x-ray machine and walking through the metal detector when they stop me and said, "we've got a problem." They tell me to look at the x-ray screen and there . . . in my brief case . . . is a Glock 19. I totally freaked out and started spewing denials. They laughed. It turns out they have some sort of template that they can project to evaluate gun silhouettes. The metal detectors in the new federal courthouse in downtown Portland are the only ones anywhere that pick up the metal in my legs and hand. I always get wanded.
This is Federal courthouse in Portland -- your tax dollars at work: https://bora.co/project/mark-o-hatfield-us-courthouse/ It is impressively ****-free.

Last summer, my wife and I and a friend decided to visit the county
courthouse just to tour the building. The three classic bronze statues
that sit atop it (Law, Justice & Strength IIRC) had been restored and
were sitting out front for close up views before being lifted up to the
roof.

As I remembered, the inside was glorious. Wide staircases, granite
columns, gorgeous murals, ornamental windows... truly beautiful.

Then, since we had to pass by it to get to our car, we decided to visit
the new (maybe 15 years old?) federal courthouse nearby.

It had the same architectural charm as the inside of a refrigerator.
Everything was bleak, sterile and devoid of any and all character.

It did have a heck of a metal detector, though! The county's never
squealed about my wife's replacement hip. But the fed's lit up like a
fire truck. I thought they were going to make her take it off.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 12th 18, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 8:37:47 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

The Multnomah County Court House (Portland) was once grand but is now a **** hole. I'm embarrassed taking clients there. We're getting a new one. You can watch the construction on a live feed. http://dwpwebcams.com/mcc/stream.htm You can see the tip-top of my building next to the construction crane.

-- Jay Beattie.