The dream is back

Old September 27th 04, 07:52 PM
Edward Dolan

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:14:39 -0500, Mr Ed. wrote in
message :

Well, this beholder sees that as an insult. The idea that anybody who
disagrees with you is stupid or anti-intellectual is called arrogance
where I come from.

Mr. Sherman, when he is not joking around, is one of the few individuals
here on ARBR who knows how to meet an argument. There are a few others
here
too who go to the substance of what is being said.

Oh come on, what substance? Most of the arguments you get involved in
are based on extreme right-wing political cant or dogmatic and easily
disproved assertions. But we all know you by now, and we know that ou
are here for the "five pound argument", not particularly caring with
wom or about what I sometimes suspect that you take a stance simply
to be contentious because you have nothing beter to do.

You wouldn't know substance if it jumped up and bit you in the elbow. You
are one of the perennial cry babies here on ARBR, English edition, who think
you know what you know because you have something in your hip pocket called
a shred of evidence. But it is not really that at all, just another
confounded stupid opinion based on what you think you know. In other words,
not based on anything at all since you are too stupid to have any right to
an opinion and are constantly being bamboozled by your pitiful bits and
pieces of so-called facts. You ought to be thanking your God that I am here
to give you some perspective on your perennial mental confusion and
dumbfoundedness.

Everyone is on Usenet because they have nothing better to do. That most
definitely includes you if we can judge you by the quality of your posts.
Your above paragraph is a mess in case you didn't know it. What the hell is
a "five pound argument"?

Most of the rest of you
just cry like babies because you disagree with what I am saying, but you
do
not want to meet my argument on a fair playing field, which is what I
consider a newsgroup to be.

Eh? Last time I recall having an argument with you, you said that you
didn't believe in evidence because you knew you were right.

There is evidence and then there is evidence. I do not worship it in any
event. It always has to be interpreted and put in it's proper place. Only
factual idiots like you think the evidence speaks for itself.

I have never called anyone stupid who didn't call me stupid first.

A wide-open field :-)

ARBR is full of idiots and I refuse to be the only intelligent person here,
so I effect a stupidity which ill becomes me. If I were consistently
intelligent, no one would understand me, least of all you.

My arrogance is 90% of what my humor is all about.

Humour? No, sorry, you're not making sense here. I have a highly
developed sense of humour; you are merely contentious. That's why I
leave you on auto-ignore.

Your sense of humor is lumpen proletariat. Try sophistication sometime if
you are capable of it. Also, have you ever heard of subtlety? Or do you
require smileys pasted all over the page to get a clue.

I went to an HPV race meet today. Ed, I recommend you try that. They
are very sociable and any old 'bent is welcome. We even raced on our
upwrong triplet. Get out and get a life!

I am very sociable myself when I am out in the real world, but a newsgroup
is not the real world. It is for argument and controversy - or do you see
it
differently than I do?

Yes. If I want an argument about politics with someone like you I'll
visit alt.politics.right-wing-zealotry. You can argue bikes all you
like, it's the constant political flatulence that ****es me off.

I like to argue about everything under the sun which I prove over and over
again, not just politics. But you can't take argument about anything because
you are a world class cry baby.

I do not mix politics and bikes unless the other idiot has done it first.

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

You also wouldn't know irony if it jumped up and bit you in the elbow. What
a confounded serious schmuck you are. Even the dour Mr. Sherman has got you
beat all to hell in the irony and humor department.

If you had a brain in your head you would get rid of the above nonsense. All
you are doing is telling everyone here on ARBR what an idiot you are.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old September 27th 04, 08:06 PM
Edward Dolan

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:10:45 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

if and when I see kids riding recumbents I will become a believer.

Go to an HPV race meet, then. Numerous kids on 'bents to be seen,
some of them racing. All ages (youngest was about 7 as I recall).

If you would read everything that is posted on a thread instead of just
selectively, you would know that I have already stated that races don't
count. Let me say it again for your edification - races don't count. Kids
love to race all sorts of crazy things. But if and when I see kids riding
recumbents other than at races, then and only then will I become a believer.

I do not consider cycling to be a sport at all outside of racing. What the
rest of us are doing is a recreation, not a sport. When kids take up
recumbents for their recreation, then the recumbent bicycle will finally
have arrived. I do not expect to see it in my lifetime.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old September 27th 04, 08:45 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:06:47 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

If you would read everything that is posted on a thread instead of just
selectively, you would know that I have already stated that races don't
count.

Why not? I see more HPVs of all types at races than at most other
venues. But OK, there were about at least six or seven KMXs on the
camping field at Cyclefest in Lancaster. Does that count?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old September 27th 04, 08:50 PM
Edward Dolan

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
news [...]
Yes. If I want an argument about politics with someone like you I'll
visit alt.politics.right-wing-zealotry. You can argue bikes all you
like, it's the constant political flatulence that ****es me off.

Are you truly so dense that you have not noticed the almost compete absence
of political type posts here on ARBR of late? I like to think I have had
something to do with that. That was my original intention when I came on
this group. I wanted to get rid of the political posts, or failing that, at
least to get a balance of conservative vs. liberal opinion. I think I have
succeeded. Why not give some credit where credit is due. Or would you like
to go back to the bad old days when liberals like you were posting every
asininity imaginable. ARBR is a far better place now that I have gotten rid
of the political posts, most particularly yours.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old September 27th 04, 09:11 PM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message :

If you would read everything that is posted on a thread instead of just
selectively, you would know that I have already stated that races don't
count.

Why not? I see more HPVs of all types at races than at most other
venues. But OK, there were about at least six or seven KMXs on the
camping field at Cyclefest in Lancaster. Does that count?

Here is my entire previous post to which you are responding which says it
all. Please learn how to read and then you will know how to edit so I don't
have to keep repeating myself.

wrote in message :

if and when I see kids riding recumbents I will become a believer.

Go to an HPV race meet, then. Numerous kids on 'bents to be seen,
some of them racing. All ages (youngest was about 7 as I recall).

"If you would read everything that is posted on a thread instead of just
selectively, you would know that I have already stated that races don't
count. Let me say it again for your edification - races don't count. Kids
love to race all sorts of crazy things. But if and when I see kids riding
recumbents other than at races, then and only then will I become a believer.

I do not consider cycling to be a sport at all outside of racing. What the
rest of us are doing is a recreation, not a sport. When kids take up
recumbents for their recreation, then the recumbent bicycle will finally
have arrived. I do not expect to see it in my lifetime."

As you can see from the above, I do not consider racing to be part of the
recreational bicycling culture. If kids are riding recumbents around town
(is it Cambridge?), then I would consider that the beginning of something
new.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old September 27th 04, 10:17 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:11:15 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

Here is my entire previous post

Yada yada yada. I did read it, Ed, and clearly you missed my point
while you were busy assuming my missing yours.

I see kids riding 'bents where I see adults riding 'bents. How many
adults commute on 'bents? Very few. There are maybe two or three in
this town which are used for everyday trips, the rest are for audax
rides and the like. Nobody's pretending that recuymbents are
m,ainstream, but neither is it possible to say that they are uniquely
attractive to adults. Kids love them and will queue for ages to ride
them.

I live nowhere near Cambridge, and I can go for weeks without ever
seeing any bike more exotic than a Brompton.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old September 27th 04, 10:18 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:52:39 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

Oh come on, what substance? Most of the arguments you get involved in
are based on extreme right-wing political cant or dogmatic and easily
disproved assertions.

You wouldn't know substance if it jumped up and bit you in the elbow.

So there you have it: no substance.

Back in the trollbox, you are too boring to be worth the trouble of
arguing with.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old September 27th 04, 10:20 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:50:31 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

Are you truly so dense that you have not noticed the almost compete absence
of political type posts here on ARBR of late?

They have been more or less absent for me since I put you in the
killfile and started dropping most every thread in which you
participate, Ed.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old September 27th 04, 11:13 PM
Mark Leuck

"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message

I look at it this way

1. Young adult sees a recumbent and is impressed
2. Young adult looks up that recumbent on the web
and finds a dealer
3. Young adult goes to that dealer and sees the recumbent

Not many LBS in DFW carry them, of course.

I've been to at least a dozen major cities in the US and very few recumbents
are carried in any of them unfortunatly

Richardson Bike Mart still had new BikeEs for sale
almost two years after BikeE went out of business.

Wanna know why? Because recumbents don't sell

Something tells me they don't do much recumbent
business. %^) Plano Cycling and Fitness now carries
Bacchetta, Easy Racer and EZ recumbents. Knowledge
of sales staff regarding recumbents at either place
is not broad. ( I won't tell you which place tried
to tell me Shimano no longer made multi-release
cleats...)

I went to a bike shop in Indianapolis earlier this year after first visiting
it last year, back then I tested an HP Speedmachine, it was still there
still for sale a year later which should tell ya something

Where are you at and what bike do you ride?

I ride mainly my Tour Easy for the last 6500 miles
in and around Denton.

I'm down in Irving, I've ridden a little bit in Denton although the lower
half, working on the upper half soon

There are lots of nice, rural, scenic 20-50 mile routes
around Denton: Aubrey, Pilot Point, Sanger, Krum,
north, east and west; Argyle, Roanoke, Ponder, Justin,
south and west. Some decent hills and often winds.
Lots of two-lane roads with rolling hills, old bridges,
trees, and light traffic. Let me know if you're
interested and I can map some my favorite routes.

Yup, I've ridden to Argyle, Roanoke and a couple of weeks ago Justin
although I'm not a big fan of the road surfaces in those areas, especially
going up 377

If you want to mix it up with the roadies, there's a
group of cyclists who regularly ride Saturday mornings
from Denton Bicycle Shop. I've never ridden with that
group, but have been passed by them (going up hill).
If you average 20+mph for 40 miles, you'd leave
most of them in your dust, I think. %^P

Organized/supported Rallies:

There's a bike rally sponsored by the municipal power
company on October 9.

http://www.dmepower.com/PowerRally2004_bw.pdf

It's a pretty good ride (150-250 riders) with 10, 30,
and 60 mile options. Not really very many "go-fast
groups" in the last two years, but a few. Last two
times I've ridden the 30 route with 5-6 friends who
don't ride more than a few weekends a year. Last year
I put in about 45 miles riding the 30 mile route circling
back and forth between the riders in our group as they
got spread out over 2-3 miles.

There's also the Denton Turkey Roll rally on
November 20 benefiting charities of the Denton
Breakfast Kiwanis.

http://www.turkeyroll.org/ (still 2003)

There are generally a number of cycling clubs and
"serious" cyclists at this event (RBM guys on their
CF DF's with shaved legs!). It's 300+ riders usually
and has riders of all skill levels and speeds. Usually
5-10 recumbents (RANS, Bacchetta, EasyRacers,
BikeE,...)

Two years ago the winds made the middle leg of the
60 mile route *very* challenging. I don't particularly
like the last leg route,-- too much traffic on FM road
back into Krum.

Jon Meinecke

I might try those sometime, thanks!

Old September 28th 04, 02:47 AM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message :

Here is my entire previous post

Yada yada yada. I did read it, Ed, and clearly you missed my point
while you were busy assuming my missing yours.

We would not be missing points if you would include more of my post to which
you are responding. Note your present post. What the hell are you responding
to? Only you and I know. No one else knows since you have not included any
relevant passages for the readers to even get a clue. Damn it! Usenet is not
email!

Also, please note how I always include all of your post provided it is not
too long. That is because I have some consideration for the reader and you
don't.

I see kids riding 'bents where I see adults riding 'bents. How many
adults commute on 'bents? Very few. There are maybe two or three in
this town which are used for everyday trips, the rest are for audax
rides and the like. Nobody's pretending that recuymbents are
m,ainstream, but neither is it possible to say that they are uniquely
attractive to adults. Kids love them and will queue for ages to ride
them.

I do see a few adult recumbent cyclists on organized rides, but I do
not see young people, let alone kids, on these type of rides. Around town
you will occasionally see adult recumbent cyclists, but NEVER kids on
recumbents.

I recently did the Okoboji ride here in NW Iowa and there were altogether
about 300 cyclists of which maybe 15 were recumbents. That is fairly typical
for this area. But of those 15 recumbent cyclists there was not one young
person and if I were to see a kid ride a recumbent it would be a freakish
event for sure. I repeat: I have NEVER seen a kid on a recumbent and I have
been looking for the past 25 years.

I live nowhere near Cambridge, and I can go for weeks without ever
seeing any bike more exotic than a Brompton.

Must be that other Guy, or is it Ian, who lives in Cambridge. You English
blokes have got me so ****ed off most of the time that I can't keep any of
you straight.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

switching back from a touring derailleur to road... Sheldon Brown Techniques 3 July 21st 04 02:52 PM
RR: There and Back. Shaun Rimmer Mountain Biking 32 February 21st 04 07:38 PM
exercises for back Matthew General 6 December 15th 03 08:55 PM
Lower back exercises for out of the saddle road climbing Doug Racing 12 October 12th 03 05:09 PM
Lower back pains Jiyang Chen General 7 July 28th 03 01:10 PM