The dream is back

Old September 23rd 04, 08:31 PM
James S. Prine

At 12°F I'd expect ice, sleet, snow, but not rain.

LOL...Louisiana weather isn't subject to the laws of thermodynamics that plague
the rest of the Omniverse g.

James S. Prine
http://hometown.aol.com/jsprine/

Old September 23rd 04, 10:31 PM
BentJay

Lars,

I rode last year's GOBA (a 350 mile week-long ride in Ohio) with my
daughter who stoked on our Bikee E2 tandem. Maybe it's because as
captain I was slow as molasses on the hills but she wants to go
again....on her Cannondale single. My son rides a Klein road
bike...he thinks my GS is kinda dorky.

In my own experience, young people I know don't have a recumbent yen.
Too bad!

BentJay
GS GTO
Bikee E2

See my tour journal at: http://aroundthelake.crazyguyonabike.com
Old September 24th 04, 02:21 AM
Mark Leuck

Thats not the case in my area, every recumbent rider I've seen in the past 3
years has got to be 35 or older with most in the OLDER category. Young
people like to look at them but they sure don't want to buy them and the
reason is people in the 20 to 30 age bracket think they are slow and they at
least in the Dallas Texas area that IS the case

Tonight I rode 42 miles at 21.03mph (low hills, some fast straights) and I
cannot tell you how many people told me "Hey I didn't know those things
could go that fast".

"Lars S. Mulford" wrote in message
"Edward Dolan" wrote

"Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent"

Howdy Ed and others:

You're wrong on the above comment. Not only do I have two children who

are
active bent riders, but they are girls. The love their bikes and get a

real
kick out of whupping up on the young lads in our neighborhood who try to
keep up with them. At least where I'm from here in lower Delaware,
recumbent bikes are on a popular upswing and now when I ride every day, I
see at least another one every time out. For an area as rural as this, I
think that's terrific.

In direct contrast to the comment you made above, there are significant
numbers of young ones who are riding in our area. Perhaps it is an issue

of
demographics or the like, but they're popular here, both with young and

old
alike.

--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford

Old September 24th 04, 04:55 AM
Robert L. Bass

Not only do I have two children who are
active bent riders, but they are girls. The
love their bikes...

When I used to ride my DF the neighborhood kids wouldn't even give a nod.
But when I drive by groups of kids on my RANS Vivo the almost invariable
reaction is "Whoooa... Kewl bike!" Once in a while I let one of the
neighbors ride the bike. They usually need a hand getting started but most
are fine after a minute or so. Several have indicated they want to buy one
themselves. I don't let kids drive the 'bent for liability reasons though
many have asked.

Old September 24th 04, 05:08 AM
Robert L. Bass

"Scott" wrote in message
om...
(Group Moderator) wrote in message

"The Testimony" by Robert L. Bass

Okay, Ed. I'm with you. Bring on the firearms. Bass, what the heck
is this?

Take a look at the headers, friend. I didn't post that. It's one of the
nut-cases from the alarm newsgroup.

Send such a message to your buddy on a
private email.

He's not a friend. He's a stalker; been at it about seven years now.

Or at least have the courtesy to point out
that Jesus led you to recumbents or
something...

Perhaps He did. I'm not sure about it, but I rarely mention Him in this
newsgroup.

Now, what kind of bent would Jesus
ride?

Now there's an interesting question. I'd have to give it some thought. I
suppose, being humble, he'd ride a BikeE. The Pharisees probably would have
forced him to ride a DF though. :^)

Maybe a high racer because he could walk on
water?

He wouldn't need a fairing since the winds obey Him.

The Buddha, of course, transcended the need for
cycling all together. He became one with the bent
and then cycled off into Nirvana.

Naah. I've seen plenty of Buddha-esque folks on tour and almost all of them
drive trikes.

Suggestion: Next time you think you need to complain about one of my posts,
check to see who actually made the post. The one you're upset about wasn't
from me.

Of course, as a Christian I'm obliged to forgive your transgression. :^)

Have fun.

Regards,
Robert

Old September 24th 04, 09:31 AM
Peter Clinch

Edward Dolan wrote:

It is most likely the soap box racing car thing where the father is the one
doing all the work and doing all the influencing. However, if kids are
riding recumbents around on their own for reasons other than racing, then
perhaps things are starting to change.

The /existence/ of the KMX is very good evidence that it is.

Kids are notorious for their flash in the pan inspirations. But it is only
the long haul that interests me. I do not see kids riding recumbents.

I very rarely see /anyone/ riding recumbents, and I've come across lots
of adults who wouldn't be seen dead on them. However, that is not
conclusive evidence that no adults are interested, and that transfers to
children, only with the added proviso that the affordability issues
become even more acute.

Dundee. I think this area of the state was originally settled by the English
and the Scotch,

Scotch is a drink, made by Scots.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old September 24th 04, 12:50 PM
John Riley

Edward Dolan Wrote:

After all, there is only so
much to say about recumbents without endlessly repeating ourselves.

Surely there are other less contentious groups where you would feel
more at
home. Maybe BROL would suit you better. ...

The only sin in posting to a
newsgroup is to be boring. I don't think anyone here can ever accuse
me of
that. ...

Ed, why are you here? You think recumbents are boring. You don't GAS
about them. By your own admission, you are just here to argue. Surely
there is a better place for this.

BROL does suit me better, but it seems like this is easier to find for
alot of people who want to talk about recumbents, so I do look in. It
is irritating to see you constantly and pointlessly hijack threads. I
DO accuse you of being boring. Incredibly boring! Repetious infinity!

You will take that as an invitation to some higher level of invective,
but that is the part that is the most boring of all.

--
John Riley

Old September 24th 04, 06:33 PM
Edward Dolan

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

It is most likely the soap box racing car thing where the father is the
one doing all the work and doing all the influencing. However, if kids
are riding recumbents around on their own for reasons other than racing,
then perhaps things are starting to change.

The /existence/ of the KMX is very good evidence that it is.

Most likely just another flash in the pan. Here today - gone tomorrow.

Kids are notorious for their flash in the pan inspirations. But it is
only the long haul that interests me. I do not see kids riding
recumbents.

I very rarely see /anyone/ riding recumbents, and I've come across lots of
adults who wouldn't be seen dead on them. However, that is not conclusive
evidence that no adults are interested, and that transfers to children,
only with the added proviso that the affordability issues become even more
acute.

Recumbents are only for the select few, but kids won't ride them because it
is not part of their kid culture. The only kids you ever see on recumbents
are those who have been influenced by their parents, usually their father.
Not until kids are being influenced by other kids will the situation ever
change.

Dundee. I think this area of the state was originally settled by the
English and the Scotch,

Scotch is a drink, made by Scots.

Main Entry: 2Scotch
Function: noun
1 : SCOTS
2 plural in construction : the people of Scotland
3 often not capitalized : whiskey distilled in Scotland especially from
malted barley -- called also Scotch whisky

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

You speak and write the language they way you want and I will do the same.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old September 24th 04, 06:33 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Mark Leuck" wrote
reason is people in the 20 to 30 age bracket think
they are slow and they at least in the Dallas Texas
area that IS the case

Tonight I rode 42 miles at 21.03mph (low hills, some
fast straights) and I cannot tell you how many people
told me "Hey I didn't know those things could go that fast".

To paraphrase the "G*ns don't kill" bumper sticker,

"Bikes don't go slow (or fast), People do!" %^)

So a paceline of "serious" upright road bike riders passed
me and my friend on our bikes like we're standing still. They
think, man, those recumbent bikes are slow. But my friend
is riding a road bike. Do they think, "man those road
bikes are slow"? No, they think that poor guy has to
go slow because of his friend is on a recumbent! %^)
I'm pretty sure when they pass a road bike rider, they
simply think they're faster riders.

The perception that uprights are faster than recumbents is
skewed by a number of factors. Not the least of which is
the fact to compete as a go-fast or wanna-be you "gotta
fit in." Gotta have the 'right' type of bike, h*lm*t, jersey,
aftershave... %^) Comparing the subset of upright riders
who want to go fast with the subset of bike riders who
choose recumbents almost certainly leads to no accurate
conclusion regarding the inherent speed potential of
recumbent bikes.

I'm certainly beyond the 20-30 year-old range and likely
won't ever sustain 21 mph for two hours, unless there's
a 20mph tailwind. After I bought my first recumbent,
my question to myself was why didn't I do this sooner,
like when I was 20 or 30. I'm faster on my recumbent than
*I* was on my upright and I have better stamina and I'm
having more fun!

If younger people don't want to try recumbents, that's their
choice. There are a number of good reasons to ride uprights!
There's certainly a lot more choices and availability over a
broader price range. Even so, some (perhaps most) upright
riders don't know what they're missing.

I'd invite you up to ride the rural roads just up the road from
Dallas where I ride, but I'm afraid I fit the stereotype of
recumbent riders. I'd never keep up with you at sustained
20+ mph average, but then neither would most upright
bicyclists. %^P

Jon Meinecke

Old September 24th 04, 07:05 PM
Edward Dolan

"John Riley" wrote in
message ...

Edward Dolan Wrote:

After all, there is only so
much to say about recumbents without endlessly repeating ourselves.

Surely there are other less contentious groups where you would feel
more at
home. Maybe BROL would suit you better. ...

The only sin in posting to a
newsgroup is to be boring. I don't think anyone here can ever accuse
me of
that. ...

Ed, why are you here? You think recumbents are boring. You don't GAS
about them. By your own admission, you are just here to argue. Surely
there is a better place for this.

Recumbents aren't boring, but fully 90% of the posts about them here on ARBR
are incredibly boring. I do not see any point in posting to just agree with
something that has been said, but I do see the point in posting to DISAGREE
with something that has been said. Is this just all rocket science to you or
what?

BROL does suit me better, but it seems like this is easier to find for
alot of people who want to talk about recumbents, so I do look in. It
is irritating to see you constantly and pointlessly hijack threads. I
DO accuse you of being boring. Incredibly boring! Repetious infinity!

Alot is two separate words.

I am delighted that I am irritating you as you strike me as one of those
blokes who likes everything in life to be smooth. I am here to make some
rough edges to your otherwise tranquil universe. I ought to be charging you
good money to read me.

I will hijack a thread when there is nothing being said except one inanity
after another by certain regulars who think they own this group. I am here
to remind one and all that this is a group that the entire universe can get
in on and not the province for a self-selected few.

You will take that as an invitation to some higher level of invective,
but that is the part that is the most boring of all.

Ah, but I get responses to everything I say, as witness your present
objections. That is all that matters to me as mostly nothing is ever being
said of any import on this group anyway. Since that is the case, I might as
well have my say since I can say nothing better than any other jerk here.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

switching back from a touring derailleur to road... Sheldon Brown Techniques 3 July 21st 04 02:52 PM
RR: There and Back. Shaun Rimmer Mountain Biking 32 February 21st 04 07:38 PM
exercises for back Matthew General 6 December 15th 03 08:55 PM
Lower back exercises for out of the saddle road climbing Doug Racing 12 October 12th 03 05:09 PM
Lower back pains Jiyang Chen General 7 July 28th 03 01:10 PM