New purchase

Old August 13th 03, 01:22 PM
Dave S

Default New purchase

I need help. I am wanting to buy a new comfort bike. I have looked
at Giant, Specialized, and Trek. I rode the Trek 200 and 300. I have
yet to test the other two. Most of my rides will be around 30 minutes
on a paved bike trail. I have never bought a bike shop bike before.
Any advise would really be appreciated. Thanks.
Old August 14th 03, 04:53 PM
B. Sanders

Rick has it exactly right. I agree completely with his assertions. I would
add that you should be flexible on price to get the bike you really want.
Think of how cheap *any* bike is compared to most of what life hands you:
Car payments, mortgage, medical bills, taxes, etc. When you weigh the
health benefits of riding a bike, it's very easy to justify the purchase of
*any* bike, no matter how exotic. You're directly investing in your health
and happiness, which is priceless.

-Barry

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
news
On 13 Aug 2003 05:22:20 -0700, Dave S wrote:
I need help. I am wanting to buy a new comfort bike. I have looked
at Giant, Specialized, and Trek. I rode the Trek 200 and 300. I have
yet to test the other two. Most of my rides will be around 30 minutes
on a paved bike trail. I have never bought a bike shop bike before. Any
advise would really be appreciated. Thanks.

You have chosen good brands to try. It's good, also,
that you are buying from an LBS (local bike shop).

General advice:
- Fit and comfort is the most important issue.
If it's not properly fit and comfortable, you
won't ride it. Not riding it is, of course, no
good. Make sure the shop fits it to you properly
before you purchase it; this may require them to
change out some components to reposition the
handlebar or saddle; it may require different
gearing if you will be on extremely flat or very
hilly land.

- Second, is attractiveness -- for any given bike, look
at it and see if it makes you want to ride. If it
doesn't, you probably won't ride it.

- You must also consider service. A shop where you can
never get an employee's attention is very bad. One
that can help you soon after you walk in, and is
patient and educational with you, is good. If the
technicians are not the salespeople, make sure that
the technicians are easily accessible.

I'm sure other people will have more to say.

Most of all, enjoy!

--
Rick Onanian

Old August 15th 03, 12:41 AM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

This is a good time of year to buy. Local Bike Shops are marking down the
2003 bikes like crazy! You ought to find a whopper of a deal.

Pat in TX