Number Plates?

Old September 19th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
permajeo

Default Number Plates?

It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

--
permajeo

Old September 19th 06, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
maf

When I grew up in Belgium, 35 years ago or so, my bike had to have a
small metal plate with an embossed number attached to the front axle.
It's colour and shape changed every year. It was not expensive, but was
a hassle. It had to be obtained from the local council offices. I don't
know how it would fit over QR. I presume there would need to be a
separate bolt on the fork for the plate. I don't know if these number
plates still exist.

Mike

Old September 19th 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sirius631

permajeo wrote:
It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

Still doesn't make it a good idea. What benefit does anyone think they
will get out of it? Ken can propose any silly scheme, he won't have to
implement it as it will need to be implemented nationally. If it is
just intended as a revenue raiser, any fee that is not excessive to
cyclists (which would be a miniscule amount) will be taken up by
running the system.

David Lloyd

Old September 19th 06, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , permajeo
') wrote:

It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

And the benefit would be?

;; this is not a .sig
Old September 19th 06, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

permajeo wrote:
It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
elsewhere in the world?

--
Matt B
Old September 19th 06, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:26:41 +1000 someone who may be permajeo
wrote this:-

It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

So what? Would bikes have to be fitted with lights to illuminate the
number plate after dark?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old September 19th 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
permajeo

Simon Brooke Wrote:
in message , permajeo
') wrote:

It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

And the benefit would be?

;; this is not a .sig

Didn't say there would be any benefit just thought the picture was
amusing. I did wonder about the musos looking behind them though.

--
permajeo

Old September 19th 06, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dan Gregory

Matt B wrote:
permajeo wrote:
It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
elsewhere in the world?

I seem to remember it was tried in New York, but wouldn't work because
of riders coming over from Jersey...
All the best
Dan Gregory
Old September 19th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Dan Gregory wrote:
Matt B wrote:
permajeo wrote:
It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

Isn't bike registration still mandatory in some U.S. states, and
elsewhere in the world?

I seem to remember it was tried in New York, but wouldn't work because
of riders coming over from Jersey...

Apparently the District of Columbia requires it[1], and insist on a
metal registration plate.

"1202.6 It shall be a violation of this chapter for any person to
operate a bicycle registered under the provisions of this chapter
without both a registration tag and a metal registration plate."

[1]
http://www.ddot.dc.gov/ddot/frames.a...18_DCMR_12.pdf

--
Matt B
Old September 19th 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , permajeo
') wrote:

Simon Brooke Wrote:
in message , permajeo
') wrote:

It's been done before. 1940's France I think.

'http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7' (http://tinyurl.co.uk/bbk7)

And the benefit would be?

Didn't say there would be any benefit just thought the picture was
amusing. I did wonder about the musos looking behind them though.

Sorry, didn't look at the picture.

;; An enamorata is for life, not just for weekends.

proposal to put number plates on bicycles John38 UK 10 August 3rd 06 04:55 AM
Alan Howarth Burt UK 60 April 25th 06 09:19 AM
Number plates for pedal cycles Matt B UK 244 December 18th 05 09:14 PM
Cycling number plates. Oscar Australia 9 February 10th 05 11:29 PM