SMH: Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

Old October 3rd 06, 04:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj

Default SMH: Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

October 3, 2006 - 1:29PM

Cyclists might soon get a head start at traffic lights across
Australia.

European research has shown providing cyclists with a designated box
slightly in front of motorists at major intersections greatly increases
road safety.

And now the National Transport Commission (NTC), the joint state and
federal body charged with improving transport, has proposed bicycle
boxes be used in Australia.

Senior NTC policy analyst Greg Deimos says the boxes increase
visibility for cyclists, therefore increasing their safety.

"Bicycle boxes protect cyclists who might otherwise be squeezed by
vehicles when traffic lights turn to green," Mr Deimos said.

"They give cyclists a head start to clear the intersection more safely,
without delaying other vehicles."

--
suzyj

Old October 3rd 06, 04:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Shabby

suzyj Wrote:
[...]

We've already got them here......

--
Shabby

Old October 3rd 06, 04:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Michael Warner

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:40:56 +1000, suzyj wrote:

European research has shown providing cyclists with a designated box
slightly in front of motorists at major intersections greatly increases
road safety.

Unless they're talking about modifying the lights and cycles to let
cyclists go first, like buses do at a few here, that's what most cyclists
do informally (and probably strictly illegally) already.

Old October 3rd 06, 04:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duracell Bunny

suzyj wrote:
[...]

It'd be nice if they'd start by giving us time to clear the newly turned green
before it turns to fully red while we're still only halfway across - several of
those in Brisbane ...

--
Karen Gallagher

"Reverse the polarity and invert the particle flux!"
"You mean put the batteries in the other way?"
"...yes."
-Star Trek (any of them)
Old October 3rd 06, 05:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

suzyj wrote:
Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

October 3, 2006 - 1:29PM

Cyclists might soon get a head start at traffic lights across
Australia.

Confused. Don't we already have those boxes on a lot of intersections??

DaveB
Old October 3rd 06, 05:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

DaveB wrote:
suzyj wrote:
Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

October 3, 2006 - 1:29PM

Cyclists might soon get a head start at traffic lights across
Australia.

Confused. Don't we already have those boxes on a lot of intersections??

DaveB

Maybe not in Sydeney!

Old October 3rd 06, 05:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj

DaveB wrote:

Confused. Don't we already have those boxes on a lot of

intersections??

Melbournites probably do. We're a tad slow up here in Sydney.

Cheers,

Suzy

--
suzyj

Old October 3rd 06, 05:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
daveL

DaveB wrote:
suzyj wrote:
Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

October 3, 2006 - 1:29PM

Cyclists might soon get a head start at traffic lights across
Australia.

Confused. Don't we already have those boxes on a lot of intersections??

You mean those boxes at intersections that some drivers abuse you for
filtering up to?
Yup, they're all over the place

--
davel
Old October 3rd 06, 05:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

davel Wrote:
DaveB wrote:
suzyj wrote:
Aussie cyclists may get 'head start'

October 3, 2006 - 1:29PM

Cyclists might soon get a head start at traffic lights across
Australia.

Confused. Don't we already have those boxes on a lot of

intersections??

You mean those boxes at intersections that some drivers abuse you for
filtering up to?
Yup, they're all over the place

--
davel

didnt an aber note a while back that a police officer in a car told him
off for making use of the box at Flinders St station (I think it was
there! memory could be wrong)? So if the police don't know..... Perhaps
the boxes need to be coloured?

--
warrwych

Old October 3rd 06, 06:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Marx SS

From what I’ve seen it’s there for small city cars turning left………

--
Marx SS