idiot cyclist!

Old May 16th 05, 10:24 AM
davek

Default idiot cyclist!

To idiotgirl who tried to run me down in Kensington Gardens this
morning...

1. When turning right, try not to cut straight across the path of some
poor old dear on her bike. If her hair wasn't white already...

2. Also, when turning right, do not turn into the path of another
cyclist and try to force them off their line. Doing it accidentally is
one thing, but doing it deliberately is both rude and dangerous.

3. If you are going to tell people to "keep to the left", at least have
the courtesy to learn the difference between right and left. And then
apply that knowledge to yourself. And acknowledge that said person is
already on the left (not that the rules of the highway apply to
shared-use foot/cycle-paths anyway, but that's another matter).

I don't know... I suppose there's no point being angry, especially as
no Actual Harm was done, but I was Slightly Cross at the time. Still, I
got to work it off with some hardcore courier-style weaving through the
traffic on Ken High St, which was fun.

On a more practical note, perhaps it would be helpful if the Powers
That Be painted a few more white lines and give way signs in Kensington
Gardens/Hyde Park for the benefit of my new friend and her like. And
put up a few signs with messages in Very Large Type, such as "Give way
to pedestrians, you morons" or "Only ride on the bits where it doesn't
say No Cycling, you sodding mentalist".

Another good one would be "Keep that ****ing dog on a lead, you ****".
(I got chased by a whippet the other day - I have never accelerated so
hard in my life.)

d.

Old May 16th 05, 10:29 AM
p.k.

davek wrote:
(not that the rules of the highway
apply to shared-use foot/cycle-paths anyway, but that's another
matter).

but it seems sensible to apply the same keep left rule by convention

pk

Old May 16th 05, 10:39 AM
audrey

On 16 May 2005 02:24:20 -0700, "davek"
wrote:

Another good one would be "Keep that ****ing dog on a lead, you ****".

Also "keep yourself and your dog on the same side of the bike, surely
even you must realise that trailing a dog lead in front of a bike is a
Bad Idea you half wit"

Old May 16th 05, 10:46 AM
Trevor Barton

On 16 May 2005 02:24:20 -0700, davek wrote:
Another good one would be "Keep that ****ing dog on a lead, you ****".
(I got chased by a whippet the other day - I have never accelerated so
hard in my life.)

Try slamming on your brakes from full tilt. The local dog that ran into
my back wheel hasn't ever chased me since.

--
Trevor Barton
Old May 16th 05, 10:48 AM
davek

p.k. wrote:
but it seems sensible to apply the same keep left rule by convention

Yes and no...

On the stretch through Hyde Park (where the path is quite wide) peds
and cyclists are "separated" by a thick white line. Here, "keep left"
does seem to be the de facto rule and it mostly works quite well.

But on the stretch through Kensington Gardens (where the path is not so
wide), there is no separation of peds and cyclists so it is really a
case of riding a little more cautiously, and choosing whichever side of
the path is safest at that time - and definitely not being dogmatic
about which side of the path you pass on. A little courtesy is all it
takes to keep everyone running smoothly and safely.

In my encounter this morning, it was the idiotic behaviour of one rogue
cyclist that caused a problem, not whether or not I was on the left or
right side of the path. (The fact that I /was/ on the left is
irrelevant.)

All that said, I'd be happy for "keep left" to be made an official
rule, as long as it could be enforced, and as long as it also applied
to pedestrians.

d.

Old May 16th 05, 12:46 PM
JLB

Trevor Barton wrote:
On 16 May 2005 02:24:20 -0700, davek wrote:

Another good one would be "Keep that ****ing dog on a lead, you ****".
(I got chased by a whippet the other day - I have never accelerated so
hard in my life.)

Try slamming on your brakes from full tilt. The local dog that ran into
my back wheel hasn't ever chased me since.

Sounds good; but I'd guess there dog breeds for which this technique is
contra-indicated.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

Cyclist rant: back in black John UK 1099 March 18th 05 12:09 PM
Cyclist charged in road death Robert J. Matter General 42 January 11th 05 05:15 AM
Cyclist died after crash with walker Brian Drury UK 40 January 3rd 05 03:08 PM
not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
New Sub-species of Stealth Cyclist Mark Thompson UK 64 December 8th 03 11:02 PM