Low end schwinn...

Old August 8th 04, 09:22 PM
gooserider

Default Low end schwinn...

"Luigi de Guzman" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 23:33:10 GMT, "gooserider"
wrote:

Because all Cannondales have USA made hand welded frames, while the other
manufacturers use cheaper frames for their entry level bikes. Not that

you
can really get a bad bike from an LBS. But Cannondale is the only big
manufacturer that equips every bike they make with a US made frame,
regardless of price level.

...But if my frame is well-made and well-aligned, do I care where it
was made?

-Luigi

I do, since it keeps hard working Americans in Pennsylvania employed.
Cannondale still manages to keep their "entry level" bikes relatively
affordable, despite paying its' workers a living wage.

Old August 9th 04, 01:35 PM
the black rose

wrote:

Because all Cannondales have USA made hand welded frames, while the other
manufacturers use cheaper frames for their entry level bikes. Not that

you

can really get a bad bike from an LBS. But Cannondale is the only big
manufacturer that equips every bike they make with a US made frame,
regardless of price level.

...But if my frame is well-made and well-aligned, do I care where it
was made?

-Luigi

I do, since it keeps hard working Americans in Pennsylvania employed.
Cannondale still manages to keep their "entry level" bikes relatively
affordable, despite paying its' workers a living wage.

That's a good point. My husband and I try to support American over
foreign and local over national, but we're well enough off to afford it,
and not everybody is.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old August 10th 04, 02:07 AM
Mark Weaver

"the black rose" wrote in message

...But if my frame is well-made and well-aligned, do I care where it
was made?

-Luigi

I do, since it keeps hard working Americans in Pennsylvania employed.
Cannondale still manages to keep their "entry level" bikes relatively
affordable, despite paying its' workers a living wage.

That's a good point. My husband and I try to support American over
foreign and local over national, but we're well enough off to afford it,
and not everybody is.

I'm still *really* puzzled by people who consider themselves ethical &
praiseworthy when they go out of their way and spend more money in order to,
effectively, boycott products made by poor people in developing countries
whenever possible.

Mark

Old August 11th 04, 12:13 AM
George

"Mark Weaver" wrote in message

I'm still *really* puzzled by people who consider themselves ethical &
praiseworthy when they go out of their way and spend more money in order

to,
effectively, boycott products made by poor people in developing countries
whenever possible.

Mark

I like to think we are boycotting a few families (such as the Waltons) who
don't care if there is no industry and only low paying jobs in the US as
long as they can continue to amass wealth and power.

Old August 11th 04, 03:59 PM
Mark Weaver

"George" wrote in message

"Mark Weaver" wrote in message

I'm still *really* puzzled by people who consider themselves ethical &
praiseworthy when they go out of their way and spend more money in order

to,
effectively, boycott products made by poor people in developing

countries
whenever possible.

Mark

I like to think we are boycotting a few families (such as the Waltons) who
don't care if there is no industry and only low paying jobs in the US as
long as they can continue to amass wealth and power.

That's a different issue than whether or not it is somehow more moral to
avoid products made by poor people in poor countries. If you don't like
Walmart, don't shop at Walmart -- there are plenty of other stores selling
the same stuff -- say Costco, for example, where starting wages are $10/hour
and..gasp..some employees are even unionized:

http://www.slate.com/id/2104988/

People need to get past the idea that, for example, there is a certain fixed
number of bicycle manufacturing jobs that aren't created or destroyed but
only moved around the world. It's simply not true--the US has lost lots of
manufacturing jobs (even while manufacturing output has increased), but most
jobs have been lost because of gains in automation and efficiency here, not
because the jobs 'moved' to China. Hell, even China is losing manufacturing
jobs because of greater productivity. A hundred years ago, about half of
all Americans worked on farms, but now only a small percentage do.
Manufacturing (including bicycle manufacturing) is going through a similar
process. It takes a lot fewer people to grow our food than it used to, and
it takes a lot fewer people to make our bicycles, too.

Mark