long distance uni

Old April 24th 04, 11:49 PM
commandoH

Default long distance uni

hey,

im planning to do my first really big ride on a uni. Its about 275 miles
for charity. But, i have only concentrated on trials and street, so i
have no clue about what kind of uni to buy (coker, 29er, i got no clue)
so if you have a suggestion on what kind of uni (or anything else about
going long distances) please post

thanks!

--
commandoH - has an invisible skeleton
commandoH's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4947

Old April 25th 04, 12:33 AM
johnfoss

275 miles? Coker.

A 29er is more convenient (fits in smaller spaces for storage and
transport), but it's going to be slower.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
whole van!

Old April 25th 04, 02:13 AM
onetiredguy

I would suggest a 36" Coker with short cranks as well as an Air Saddle
'cause that's a pretty long ride you are plannin to do.

If the ride is pretty flat then the short cranks will help you go faster
and the air saddle will help cushion the ride.

You might wanna try talking to George Barnes, he's developed some pretty
cool stuff for distance rides and rode his 36" Coker 500 miles on
RAGBRAI.

http://gurai.unicyclist.com/

http://www.gb4mfg.com

Good Luck!!!

--
onetiredguy

I invented popular videos games such as "Dig Dug" and "Q-Bert"

I also came up with the name "Frogger." Can you believe they wanted to
name it "Highway Crossing Frog"?
onetiredguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5768

Old April 25th 04, 02:26 AM
tennisgh22

i dont even like -driving- 275 miles. I commend you.

-grant

--
tennisgh22 - Learning to muni

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

Old April 25th 04, 02:55 AM
tomblackwood

commandoH wrote:
*im planning to do my first really big ride on a uni. Its about 275
miles for charity. But, i have only concentrated on trials and street,
so i have no clue about what kind of uni to buy.*

Lots of good advice (i.e. buy a Coker) in the posts above, and here's
mine relative to your first sentence: Don't let your "first really big
ride" be 275 miles. You'll hate yourself if you manage to finish at all.
If you're committed to that event, get yourself a 36 asap and start
getting in some serious saddle time. You won't regret it. You might want
to google on the phrase "Norwegian Unicycle Tour" then go to that
website. There are links on there outlining the training regimen that
those riders did in prep for that tour. That might be a bit over the
top for your purposes, but the principles are good. Get in some long
rides, vary the lengths and terrain and riding conditions. Ride in the
rain. Gradually increase your time between dismounts. Etc.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old April 25th 04, 04:35 AM
nathan

Training training training. Those 3 things will make difference between
having a horrible epic and a great adventure. See 'www.unitours.org'
(http://www.unitours.org/) for info on our 600 mile Norway tour last
summer as well as others. My training for that ride consisted of 1000
miles in the 11 weeks before the tour. The tough part is riding day
after day after day.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old April 25th 04, 07:20 AM
Mikefule

That's a hell of a distance.

I've done a fair number of 20 and 30 mile rides and occasionally more,
on a wide range of wheel sizes.

There is no doubt that the Coker is the best machine for distance. A
28/29 with shorter cranks can be made to go as fast as a Coker, but not
as easily, and it's not sustainable for long distances.

On the Coker, better to have the cranks at a comfortable length, rather
than shortening them too much for speed. As you get tired, the extra
work needed to control a Coker with shorter cranks becomes a burden.

And yes, train train train, with clear and measureable goals.

If I had to do 275 miles over a number of consecutive days, I'd pitch it
at about 50 miles a day, maybe a little bit more, depending on the
terrain.

I doubt I will ever do it though...

Good luck with the project.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

So many pedestrians tell me I've lost a wheel.