"Cycling is not dangerous. Cars are dangerous."

Old September 10th 09, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default "Cycling is not dangerous. Cars are dangerous."

That's what it says in this Times article;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6828120.ece

And it also says:

"...According to their research, cyclists are at significantly more
risk of being hit by cars on roads that include cycle lanes. On
average, an overtaking car will pass 18cm closer to a bike in a cycle
lane than it would to a bike with which it was merely sharing a road.
That is roughly the distance that your pedals stick out from your cog.
Do bear in mind that you also have elbows...

....And yet, throughout our cities, provision for cyclists remains
perfunctory at best, and lunatic at worst..."

--
Car Free Cities
http://www.carfree.com/
Old September 10th 09, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Doug" wrote in message
That's what it says in this Times article;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6828120.ece

And it also says:

"...According to their research, cyclists are at significantly more
risk of being hit by cars on roads that include cycle lanes.

Gee! No kidding. That's because cycle lanes encourage cyclists to ride in
the gutter and drivers to pass when it is not safe.

On
average, an overtaking car will pass 18cm closer to a bike in a cycle
lane than it would to a bike with which it was merely sharing a road.

Sure! So long as the bike is in the cycle lane and the car is in the main
lane, everything is fine. No safety distance is required. That's why cars
may come as close as they like.

That is roughly the distance that your pedals stick out from your cog.
Do bear in mind that you also have elbows...

Keep the elbows within the cycle lane then!

...And yet, throughout our cities, provision for cyclists remains
perfunctory at best, and lunatic at worst..."

We know. Stay out of cycle lanes. They are dangerous places to ride!

Old September 10th 09, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...e/article68281...

[...]

Hang on! Doesn't that place the onus on the cyclist instead of on the
source of danger? Shouldn't it be, "Drivers stay well clear of
cyclists because they are much more vulnerable than you and don't
become impatient while waiting to overtake cyclists"?

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old September 11th 09, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Doug wrote:
That's what it says in this Times article;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6828120.ece

And it also says:

"...According to their research, cyclists are at significantly more
risk of being hit by cars on roads that include cycle lanes.

I don't think that is a new idea, various other research shows the same.

On
average, an overtaking car will pass 18cm closer to a bike in a cycle
lane than it would to a bike with which it was merely sharing a road.
That is roughly the distance that your pedals stick out from your cog.
Do bear in mind that you also have elbows...

This is not well written. He is writing one thing, but implying another.
18cm closer than (e.g.) 118cm is 100cm, not 18 cm.

....And yet, throughout our cities, provision for cyclists remains
perfunctory at best, and lunatic at worst..."

What is lunatic is after reading research that shows "cyclists are at
significantly more risk of being hit by cars on roads that include cycle
lanes." He then goes on to suggest that we need more lanes and facilities.

Martin.
Old September 11th 09, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Doug" wrote in message

We know. Stay out of cycle lanes. They are dangerous places to ride!

Hang on! Doesn't that place the onus on the cyclist instead of on the
source of danger? Shouldn't it be, "Drivers stay well clear of
cyclists because they are much more vulnerable than you and don't
become impatient while waiting to overtake cyclists"?

Yebbut, drivers are not that clever. You can't educate them. The only real
answer is for the cyclist to behave in such a way where they are at less
risk.

Old September 11th 09, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

"Doug" wrote in message

We know. Stay out of cycle lanes. They are dangerous places to ride!

Hang on! Doesn't that place the onus on the cyclist instead of on the
source of danger? Shouldn't it be, "Drivers stay well clear of
cyclists because they are much more vulnerable than you and don't
become impatient while waiting to overtake cyclists"?

Yebbut, drivers are not that clever. You can't educate them. The only real
answer is for the cyclist to behave in such a way where they are at less
risk.

You may not be able to educate them but the stick can be used instead
of the carrot. Stop treating drivers as victims of accidental
circumstance, instead of perpetrators when they kill or injure, and
stop blaming their vulnerable victims.

Old September 11th 09, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

On 11 Sep, 00:56, Martin wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

We need proper, segregated lanes and facilities within towns and
cities. Like they have in Holland. Most of the urban cycle lanes we
have in the UK are worse than useless, as the article points out.
Old September 11th 09, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

Of course we should say that to drivers. Regrettably, though, not all
will do so. Given that the outcome of a collision between a bike and
a car is so much worse for the cyclist, unfortunately cyclists do have
to look after themselves as well.
Old September 11th 09, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

So you admit it is worse for the vulnerable victim? Doesn't this
suggest that the punishment for the perpetrator is not enough of a
deterrent and that is why cyclists continue to be bullied and blamed
and treated as second-class road users?

Surely if every time a driver set off on a journey they knew they
could be facing a long prison sentence for killing or seriously
injuring someone they would drive much more carefully and have more
respect for the safety of vulnerable cyclists and pedestrians?

Old September 11th 09, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Doug wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

As always Doug, it depends on who the perpetrator is, doesn't it?

Surely if every time a driver set off on a journey they knew they
could be facing a long prison sentence for killing or seriously
injuring someone they would drive much more carefully and have more
respect for the safety of vulnerable cyclists and pedestrians?

They know that already, but many of them have the same attitude as you do
Doug.
..