correct tire size?

Old July 30th 03, 10:46 PM
Warren Ginn

Default correct tire size?

The rims on my bike say, "26 x 1.5" but the tires I have are 26 x 1.95.

Do I have the wrong size tires?

I am shopping for new tires and I want to be sure I get the right size.

By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?

Thanks,

Warren
Old July 30th 03, 11:04 PM
Zoot Katz

30 Jul 2003 14:46:52 -0700,
,
(Warren Ginn) wrote:

The rims on my bike say, "26 x 1.5" but the tires I have are 26 x 1.95.

Do I have the wrong size tires?

I am shopping for new tires and I want to be sure I get the right size.

By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?

Thanks,

Warren

Bookmark the site and always check there bike answers.

www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

I used Tom Slicks at 1.4" on both wide and narrow rims. Rim width will
limit the size range available to you somewhat, but generally
speaking, any of the decimal-inch specified tires will fit.

You run into problems with fractional sizes - a 26" X 1½" is the wrong
size. Always double check the ISO spec.
--
zk
Old July 31st 03, 02:50 AM
NY Rides

Specialized Nimbus (1.5) make good road tires for a mountain bike.

--
Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area
www.geocities.com/NYRides
"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
30 Jul 2003 14:46:52 -0700,
,

Old July 31st 03, 05:44 AM
Jeff Wills

Zoot Katz wrote in message ...
snip
Bookmark the site and always check there bike answers.

www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

I used Tom Slicks at 1.4" on both wide and narrow rims. Rim width will
limit the size range available to you somewhat, but generally
speaking, any of the decimal-inch specified tires will fit.

You run into problems with fractional sizes - a 26" X 1½" is the wrong
size. Always double check the ISO spec.

Ditto on the reference to Sheldon's site. It explains a rather
peculiar area of bicycle nomenclature in a concise and clear manner.

FWIW: I've used 26 x 1.25" smooth "road" tires and 26 x 2.4" knobbies
on the same wheels interchangably.

Warren, your tires are just fine as long as they're inflated.

Jeff
Old July 31st 03, 10:26 AM
Dave M Wyman

Warren Ginn wrote:

By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?

They are very expensive, but if you want very light weight, very narrow
tires, look at the Continental Grand Prix. The Turbo Pro Classics and
the inexpensive Fatboys - both from Specialized - are also worthy road
tires.

Dave
http://www.icylist.com

New tire with hole GABIKE General 3 July 24th 03 11:46 PM
Rim strength vs tire pressure question Mike Kruger General 6 July 20th 03 10:54 PM
Bike frame size....how big for you? ac29593 General 10 July 16th 03 04:47 AM
Tire Wear David L. Johnson General 7 July 15th 03 04:44 PM
Tire recommendation?? Paul Southworth General 0 July 14th 03 05:38 PM