Returning rider, advice needed

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 22nd 03, 12:16 PM
Michael S.

Default Returning rider, advice needed

I have a nearly NOS Bridgestone RB-1 from 1993, which I bought new in 1996.
It has about 50 miles on it from two test rides I gave it years ago. Shortly
after those I had some major health issues and only now am trying to get
back to riding. I've ridden the mountain bike (a 1992 MB-1) or the
touring/commuting bike (a '93 XO-1) a bit, but I find I'd like to ride a
road bike and get into longer rides.

The RB-1 I bought has the Ultegra STI 8 speed shifting. At 58 tears old,
it's doubtful I'd ever be able to pull these gears, so I'd like to remove
the Ultegra STI bits and convert it to triple with downtube shifting, or
barcons. I have some of the parts I'll need but will need brake sets and
levers, shift levers. I'm pretty sure I have a reasonable triple and BB, an
old Campy longer cage derailleur.

Are there any places out there where I might exchange some parts? I've found
very few shops via my searches.

Thanks,