non level steerer tube top???

Old July 25th 03, 02:49 PM
Mickydisco

Default non level steerer tube top???

Hi,
I've just bought a second hand Marzocchi MX Comp ETA for my XC bike (off the
net!), fork is in excellent condition, looks like it's never been used. Only
1 problem the Steerer tube has been cut at an angle, the cut is neat &
smooth but it goes down a few degrees from front to back it's not \ but it
isn't - either, If I flatten this with a file it'l be about 3 mil to short
(Ie about 12-15 mil below the top of my steerer) Now every text I've ever
read on fitting a new threadless fork goes to great pains to say it must be
straight, but non of them explain why or what will happen if it isn't. At
the moment I'm feeling better leaving it off level than making it too short,
an ideas from the experts??
I wish people would either learn to cut straight or use a tube cutter :-\

MickyD

Old July 26th 03, 02:18 AM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
Mickydisco wrote:
Hi,
I've just bought a second hand Marzocchi MX Comp ETA for my XC bike (off the
net!), fork is in excellent condition, looks like it's never been used. Only
1 problem the Steerer tube has been cut at an angle, the cut is neat &
smooth but it goes down a few degrees from front to back it's not \ but it
isn't - either, If I flatten this with a file it'l be about 3 mil to short
(Ie about 12-15 mil below the top of my steerer) Now every text I've ever
read on fitting a new threadless fork goes to great pains to say it must be
straight, but non of them explain why or what will happen if it isn't. At
the moment I'm feeling better leaving it off level than making it too short,
an ideas from the experts??

1. The steerer is already too short.

2. The crooked cut wouldn't keep you from using the
fork if the steerer were long enough.

Sounds like you need to shop for a stem and/or headset that will
reduce the overall stack.

--Paul

Old July 27th 03, 04:09 AM
Pete Biggs

Mickydisco wrote:
Now every text I've ever read on fitting a new threadless
fork goes to great pains to say it must be straight, but non of them
explain why or what will happen if it isn't.

It doesn't have to be dead square because nothing touches the top face,
but you don't want it too sloping. There needs to be sufficient material
for the stem to clamp on to safely. It might be risky if some is missing.
But if the bottom of the slope is above or level with the stem (which I
don't think is true in your case), it won't matter as long as the spacer
above stem is tall enough to clear the steerer + 2 or 3mm.

If steerer is too short for current stem and there is room for a stem to
fit lower down, a good solution would be to use a stem with more rise (or
flip stem upside down if it's not already higher at front than back), and
level off the steerer. This produces a stiffer and lighter result anyway.
This chart might help: www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

I wish people would either learn to cut straight or use a tube cutter
:-\

Ain't easy. You should see my first attempt! :-)

~PB