Thoughts on Cinelli Super Corsa??

Old July 24th 03, 04:00 PM
Eurastus

Default Thoughts on Cinelli Super Corsa??

Many moons ago (like 24 years--back in 1979) when I first started serious road
riding as a freshman in high school, one of the guys I rode with quite
regularly had a beautiful Cinelli with a brand new Campy Nuovo Record group--he
even had a Cinelli saddle. What a bike. I was on a pitiful Schwinn Traveler
III and dreamed of the day I could afford such a machine.

Well, now I can. I've been looking about for a steel framed replacement for my
15-year-old 7-speed steed and happened into this site: http://www.gvhbikes.com/.

They've got a beautiful Cinelli Super Corsa in a color I like and just the
right size.

I intend to equip it with a full Campy Record 10 triple group.

I want to stay with steel.

So here's my questions:

What is the reputation of Cinelli steel frames? Back in the day, they were
considered the very best, but is this still the case?

The guy that runs GVH Bikes appears to have had some health problems and his
shop is closed indefinitely. Is there another source for the Cinelli Super
Corsa I could turn to should I decide to purchase?

Anything else you can tell me about the Cinelli Super Corsa?

Thanks much...

Old July 24th 03, 04:11 PM
XAVIER CINTRON

Thw SuperCorsa is an excellent frame. It still carries the classic lines
from it's early days.

People looking for this type of lines and classic look always end up with a
SuperCorsa or the likes.

You can buy a frame from nearly any dealer. We offer the frame here for
$1000

Old July 24th 03, 04:20 PM
bfd

"Eurastus" wrote in message
[...]

The Cinelli Super Corsa of today is nothing like the old Cinelli you
remember. I'm sorry to hear about Gary Hobbs and hopes he recovers, but if
you really want a Cinelli, contact your LBS, they're available. However, if
you want state of the art or the very best, American made lugged steel
frames are far superior to that Cinelli. The following are links to just a
few of the best, there may be one close to you:

www.richardsachs.com
www.eisentraut.com
www.rivendellbicycles.com
http://www.cwo.com/~lunarlab/ (richard moon)
http://www.columbinecycle.com/bicycles/bikes.html

Old July 24th 03, 07:10 PM
Mark Janeba

Donald Gillies wrote:
Eurastus writes:
Many moons ago (like 24 years--back in 1979) when I first started serious road
riding as a freshman in high school, one of the guys I rode with quite
regularly had a beautiful Cinelli with a brand new Campy Nuovo Record group--he
even had a Cinelli saddle. What a bike.

[snip]
Unfortunately, these are apparently not the same bikes as the 1970's
bikes. I believe that the production of Cinelli bikes left the
Cinelli family sometime in the 1980's or 1990's and cinelli is now
just another corporation out to make a quickie buck.

[snip]
A lot of people are critical of the modern Super Corsa, but i don't
know why. Has the workmanship gone downhill ??

That's what I've been told by a few sources - more mass-produced than
formerly, less time spent on each frame. If you could examine a bare
frame (e.g. see inside the BB to examine brazing), it might tell a great
deal. Maybe even a built-up frame (examine work around seat cluster).

For a lovely lugged Italian handmade with fine workmanship, you may want
to consider Mondonico.

Mark Janeba

Old July 24th 03, 07:21 PM
F1

A bit off topic, but why do you want steel? I'm fairly new to biking and
just wondering why anyone would want anything BUT a good aluminum or carbon
frame, price not withstanding?

Old July 24th 03, 08:02 PM
Ben

I used to hang out in a shop out west that sold these same Cinelli's
just a few years ago and they were pretty nice. Chromed lugs and the
works. Just depends on what you're looking for in a frame, I guess.
The racing set of today would probably not be too keen on them (no
carbon, no tig welding, etc), but for those that appreciate more
traditional aesthetics, it's a pretty cool frame.

I've seen these on cbike.com for around a grand, but i bet Gary's deal
is better.

Old July 24th 03, 08:05 PM
Dan H.

There is nothing wrong with the "new" Cinelli Super Corsa. I have sold and
built one myself and the customer loves it! I do have one small complaint
about the seat binder system but it seems to be holding up as I have had no
complaints from the above mentioned customer since he bought it 5 years ago.
Since GVH is closed indefinitly, I would be happy to match his rediculusly
low price if want to get one.
brmATpolitesociety.com

Old July 24th 03, 09:26 PM
Donald Gillies

Mark Janeba writes:

Donald Gillies wrote:
A lot of people are critical of the modern Super Corsa, but i don't
know why. Has the workmanship gone downhill ??

That's what I've been told by a few sources - more mass-produced than
formerly, less time spent on each frame. If you could examine a bare
frame (e.g. see inside the BB to examine brazing), it might tell a great
deal. Maybe even a built-up frame (examine work around seat cluster).

Actually, now that i think of it, i recently saw a live 1970's era
cinelli headbadge, which is simply spectacular.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Cinelli_home.htm
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Ita...li_sc_head.htm

Today's headbadge is a cheapie plastic sticker with the plain-jane
.C logo.
//

And i have seen what crummy finishing can do to the chroming of a set
of head-tube lugs (e.g. chrome over an orange-peel surface is not
pretty, looks like wadded up tin foil, perhaps present down low near
the fork.) Also i have seen lumps in brazing around fork crown and
these things are definitely possible on a frame that is made too
quickly. These imperfections were on 1970's raleigh internationals,
not on cinellis. However, for $870 you should not expect the kind of
beautify and perfection that you get in a $2200 rivendell frame with a
Joe Bell paint job.

Apparently, the 1970's cinellis were much closer to today's rivendells
in workmanship.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Old July 24th 03, 09:38 PM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:35:36 +0000, Eurastus wrote:

I don't race anymore, so pure performance isn't an issue. I'm looking for
traditional looks, comfort, and longevity. I've owned and raced on
carbon, Ti, aluminum, and steel. I just keep coming back to steel.

There are a number of manufacturers that still make high-quality lugged
steel frames -- and now make them out of better alloys than in the old
days, so they will be lighter. Not as light as carbon or aluminum, or
probably even titanium, but lighter than that old Cinelli you lusted after
in your youth.

Try Independent Fabrications for one, if Rivendell is not what you are
looking for.

You might also be able to find an old frame in good shape, which you could
outfit however you wanted.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | More people object to wearing fur than leather because it is
_`\(,_ | safer to harrass rich white women than motorcycle gangs.
(_)/ (_) |

Old July 24th 03, 10:00 PM
Nigel Grinter

I bought a Cinelli Supercorsa in 1994. It is made in Columbus SLX
rather than Neuron tubing, but otherwise looks pretty much the same as
those on Gary Hobbs' site. Obviously I cannot tell if the geometry
has changed and my comments apply to my own frame. It is without a
doubt the nicest-riding steel frame I have ever been on. It combines
great straight-line stability with superb agility in corners (two
characteristics that might seem to be mutually exclusive). It also
looks very classy and its appearance has held up well (albeit with a
ton of TLC from me). It is quite heavy, particularly with its '94
Chorus Ergo group and every spring I think I will take it to the local
bike swap and see what I can get for it. Foolishly, I always ride it
before hauling it off to the swap and it take only a few seconds in
the saddle to make me decide to keep it for at least another year.

Don't know if the above is any help to you, but I think you get the
idea that I quite like mine.

Best wishes,

Nigel Grinter