Cyclists die

Old August 5th 03, 10:27 PM
Kevin

Default Cyclists die

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...003/08/04/stat
e1326EDT0073.DTL

Old August 6th 03, 02:00 AM
Don Wiss

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:27:16 -0700, Kevin wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...003/08/04/stat
e1326EDT0073.DTL

I wish people would use decent newsreading software and not post chopped up
links. Here it is complete:

Driver arrested in death of two cross-country bikers
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...326EDT0073.DTL

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Old August 6th 03, 03:00 AM
GRL

How much would you care to wager that this slime-ball already had a DUI
driving record? The (only) good part is that apparently they are going to
play hard-ball with him.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...2003/08/04/sta

Old August 6th 03, 06:37 PM
D.L.

In article , Don Wiss wrote:
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:27:16 -0700, Kevin wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...003/08/04/stat
e1326EDT0073.DTL

I wish people would use decent newsreading software and not post chopped up
links. Here it is complete:

Driver arrested in death of two cross-country bikers
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...326EDT0073.DTL

Or, better yet, use www.tinyurl.com to shorten the URL for posting
so people's newsreaders such as slrn don't wrap around, making it
difficult to cut and paste into a browser:

http://tinyurl.com/j3wj

Old August 6th 03, 08:36 PM

D.L. wrote:

Or, better yet, use www.tinyurl.com to shorten the URL for posting
so people's newsreaders such as slrn don't wrap around, making it
difficult to cut and paste into a browser:

http://tinyurl.com/j3wj

The only problem with that being that the tinyurl's expire, so any people
looking at archived posts with google won't be able to use them. Of course
you could post both. And some people might view the expiration as a benefit.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
Old August 7th 03, 07:10 PM
Claire Petersky

wrote in message ...
D.L. wrote:

Or, better yet, use www.tinyurl.com to shorten the URL for posting
so people's newsreaders such as slrn don't wrap around, making it
difficult to cut and paste into a browser:

http://tinyurl.com/j3wj

The only problem with that being that the tinyurl's expire, so any people
looking at archived posts with google won't be able to use them. Of course
you could post both. And some people might view the expiration as a benefit.

tinyurl claims that they won't expire -- you can decide how much you
believe them. If that is the case, as the service becomes more popular
and used more and more, their URLs will cease to be so tiny.

Another reason to post both the original URL and the "tiny" one is
that some people are afraid to open, or are blocked from opening,
tinyurls. You may claim the url is a nice little website about
bicycling in the rain, but evilly, you have made a tiny a url about
vegetable worship and ritual sacrifice
(http://www.ebeneezer.net/ritual/vegetable/).

I try to remember to post both.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
Old August 7th 03, 10:48 PM
Dane Jackson

Claire Petersky wrote:
wrote in message ...

The only problem with that being that the tinyurl's expire, so any people
looking at archived posts with google won't be able to use them. Of course
you could post both. And some people might view the expiration as a benefit.

tinyurl claims that they won't expire -- you can decide how much you
believe them. If that is the case, as the service becomes more popular
and used more and more, their URLs will cease to be so tiny.

Doh! I thought they did for some reason. Of course, then there is the
argument about whether the service will exist in five years (fire / flood
/ famine / bankruptcy / overthrow by sentient machines [1]). The
address space expands exponentially with each additional digit, so it
should be compact for quite a while.

Another reason to post both the original URL and the "tiny" one is
that some people are afraid to open, or are blocked from opening,
tinyurls. You may claim the url is a nice little website about
bicycling in the rain, but evilly, you have made a tiny a url about
vegetable worship and ritual sacrifice
(http://www.ebeneezer.net/ritual/vegetable/).

Sigh. No pictures of thousands of carrots in a seething, roaring mass
committing horrible acts of immorality in a demonic orgy? I feel like
I should cry "False Advertising!".

I try to remember to post both.

That's been my practice in the past.

[1] I for one welcome our new Robotic Masters.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Despising machines to a man,