Bicyclists: Help Pass AB1408

Old July 17th 03, 03:41 PM
Daniel Connelly

Default Bicyclists: Help Pass AB1408

Bernie wrote:

You'll get no argument from me. I CAN skid, but I don't skid. It's a loss of
control, unless you're a kid hot dogging with a coaster brake.
Bernie

Exactly. Anti-lock brakes are arguably ILLEGAL on bicycles.

Some notes from someone who was at the Senate Transportation
Committee hearing, posted to the Silicon Valley BC mailing list --
depressing, as it appears this wonderful
bill, passed unanomously by the Assembly,
will be diluted to virtually nothing by legislators and
lobbyists who understand neither current code nor the
content of the proposed legislation.

Dan

=====================================

* AB1408 was not voted on (but this was good, because we
definitely did not have the votes yesterday afternoon to make
it out of committee).

* ANOTHER Rules Waiver has been filed (highly unusual). While
Chair Murray was initially quite hostile towards the bill and
seemed intent on killing it (for fear it would give cyclists the
right to "control the roadway"), by the end of the hearing
he had come to the position that the bill deserves a shot, if
language is amended to address his concerns. Torlakson promised
the compromise would not be a "middle of the road" solution, pun
intended. Senator Scott from Pasadena really turned the hearing
around when he gave a personal testimony about his experience
being doored, and also by stating that he liked Chris Morfas'
comments.

* At the start of yesterday's hearing, the CHP rep said they would
oppose the bill UNLESS it only dealt with CVC code related to bike
equipment. By the end of the hearing, CHP had softened their position
and stated that they are willing to negotiate more on the door zone
issue.

* A Caltrans representative (yes Caltrans!!) testified yesterday about the
dangers of the door zone. It was great! Caltrans of course does not
have an official position on the bill, but they cited information from
their website about the dangers of the door zone, the dangers of weaving
in and out between parked cars, etc. The City of Los Angeles and Tim
Bustos, Davis Bicycle Coordinator also gave testimony in support of the bill.

* More later from Chris Morfas about what the new Rules Waiver means. From
my understanding, it will likely NOT mean another hearing (yesterday's was the
last of this session), but will mean that the bill is amended again and then
presented to each Senator out of committee for their vote.

* Many statements made by the Senators were quite surreal, and revealed an
incredible lack of ignorance about cyclists' current rights under current
vehicle code (and a lack of ignorance about our bill). The CHP and a San
Bernandino County Sherriff who testified also made a few surprisingly weak
arguments that made it hard for us supporters to keep a straight face. Amazing
that this is how laws are made. More on this later (I took quite detailed
notes).

* There were nearly 20 of us there to support the bill (filling more than 1/2
the chairs in the hearing room). We appeared to be the only group of citizens
there for the transportation hearing. We heard several other transportation-
related bills before our bill (none of much interest), and also got to attend a
special floor session on the budget to watch the Republicans and Democrats take
swipes at one another while waiting for our hearing which was postponed to 3pm
in the afternoon.

well that's enough for this "short brief!"