Freemounted my Giraffe :)

Old August 27th 03, 12:08 AM
UniMike

Default Freemounted my Giraffe :)

Congrats! How'd ya do it?

duaner wrote:

(Finally) After approximately 150-200 tries, I succeeded in freemounting
my 6' giraffe!

My 8th attempt today I finally did it!!
Then again in 4 tries. Then the very next try! Then in 4 more tries.

:}

duaner.

Old August 27th 03, 12:48 AM
johnfoss

Congratulations! Only 150-200? I know that's a lot less than what we
went through, trying to figure it out from scratch in 1979/80. I guess
it helps a lot if someone can offer a tried-and-true method.

After finally doing a successful mount, I was unable to duplicate it to
prove it to my fellow learner Bradley Bradley. It was quite a while
between the first and second successful attempts. But eventually it
became consistent, to the point of our infamous 1981 Giraffe
Freemounting Contest at the Redford Mini-Meet. Carol Bahorich (now
Bricker) and I tied at an official 129 in a row. We then each did one
unofficial one, bringing the count to 130. She was on a 4' Penguin
giraffe, and me on my trusty Schwinn.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Old August 27th 03, 09:13 AM
GILD

duaner wrote:
*(FinallyMy 8th attempt today I finally did it!!
Then again in 4 tries. Then the very next try! Then in 4 more
tries.
:}
.duaner. *

i wish i'd kept carefull track of the amount of succesfull vs failed
mounts to see how the ratio changes
klaas?

i found for a while and with regular practise, i maintained an average
of about one in three
if i didn't practise, it would slip to 1 in 5 real quick
at some stage i 'turned a corner' of sorts and picked up the raffie
after not touching it for weeks and freemounting first time ( i then
promptly put it away to maintain the image )

johnfoss wrote:
*eventually it became consistent, to the point of our infamous 1981
Giraffe Freemounting Contest at the Redford Mini-Meet. Carol Bahorich
(now Bricker) and I tied at an official 129 in a row. We then each did
one unofficial one, bringing the count to 130. She was on a 4' Penguin
giraffe, and me on my trusty Schwinn. *

i cannot even begin to understand those figures!!
(what's the diff between the 'official' and 'unofficial' mounts?)

are freemounting competitions still common at uni-meets?

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

The second half of a man's life is made up of nothing but the habits he
has
acquired during the first half.
-- Fyodor Dostoevsky

'pleez check this out' (http://www.reuniteluna.com/)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Old August 27th 03, 11:23 AM
treepotato

took me ages to freemount my litte 20" uni for me a giraffe no chance!

you're good!

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

Old August 27th 03, 02:41 PM
ubersquish

and he did it barefooted too!

--
ubersquish
ubersquish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4328

Old August 27th 03, 05:58 PM
johnfoss

GILD wrote:
*i cannot even begin to understand those figures!!
(what's the diff between the 'official' and 'unofficial' mounts?)*

The contest was officially declared over at 129, see below for reason.
We wanted to round it to a more even number, so we each did one more.
*are freemounting competitions still common at uni-meets? *

That was the only time I've seen one. It grew into kind of a monster. We
did it during lunch at this one-day meet, so time was limited. We
started with about 10 or so people, which quickly dwindled to about 4,
and after 10 or 20 mounts it was just us two. People were getting real
bored watching us, not to mention me getting tired (I had a bigger climb
and harder fall each time than Carol on her 4 footer). I started
throwing in fancy mounts to see if we could bring about the end quicker.
I did leg-around, jump to both pedals from tire, mount to one foot idle,
and even my own side-jump mount, but they all worked.

Finally, lunch was over, events were waiting to start, hardly anyone was
still watching, and even the judges wanted us to hang it up. They made
me stick to a schedule of a mount every 10 seconds. Carol's mount was
very quick; a step to the tire and a quick jump to the seat. Mine took a
little longer. I remember being pretty sore in the following days, and I
was in good shape back then. That's why I haven't tried to do it again.
Plus since the contest was not carried through until one of us missed
the mount, we don't know how long it might have gone on...

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

Old August 27th 03, 06:43 PM
duaner

ubersquish wrote:
*and he did it barefooted too! *

Sorry to disappoint you, but alas, no, I wore shoes (high tops).

I've yet to figure out how to put my barefoot on_the_tire /
jammed_in_the_frame in any way even remotely comfortable. Also, I
didn't mind having the extra foot padding / ankle protection for all
those 2-3foot drop UPDs -- almost made it worth the discomfort and
hassle of wearing shoes.

duaner.

--
duaner - -
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old August 27th 03, 08:00 PM
duaner

johnfoss wrote:
... BRINGING THE COUNT TO 130. ...

Wow!

johnfoss wrote:
THEY MADE ME STICK TO A SCHEDULE OF A MOUNT EVERY 10 SECONDS

my calculation
130mounts * 10sec/1mount * 1min/60sec = 21.67 minutes

So you did actually do 130 mounts in less than 1/2 an hour?
Wow again! I'd consider that impressive even if you had _missed_ every
mount, or if you had been mounting a non-giraffe uni.

duaner.

Old August 27th 03, 08:13 PM
johnfoss

duaner wrote:
*So you did actually do 130 mounts in less than 1/2 an hour?
*

No, I think the whole thing took a little over an hour. It started with
a big group which ran slower, and only after people were looking for
excuses to end it did they impose the time schedule. 10 seconds per
doesn't leave much rest time!

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

Old August 28th 03, 12:33 AM
ReadPalm

duaner wrote:

The long answer part 2 ...

I PAYED ATTENTION TO EVERY DETAIL I COULD THINK of to pay attention to

I figured (seemingly correctly for me), that if I knew exactly how I did
each mount attempt, then:
I could make reasonable guesses at how to adjust my mount, and
I could successfully repeat the mount when I finally got it. (Since
my first success, I succeeded at 13 of my 49 attempts - better than 1 in
4
I try to pay attention to everything: what I do, when I do, what I
think.

Great idea and Great job!! Makes my efforts to freemount my 20" seem
a bit insignificant - but I'm danged happy anyway!! YEHAW!

Giraffe performing GILD Unicycling 13 September 3rd 03 05:43 PM
giraffe mounts help thinuniking Unicycling 1 August 25th 03 01:51 PM
Ben's 6' giraffe running jump mount video clip yoopers Unicycling 6 August 11th 03 02:49 PM