Are police cyclists?

Old March 12th 11, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marie

Default Are police cyclists?

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/Pol...l/article.html

It seems that the police are letting cyclists get away, perhaps they
are cyclists themselves.
Old March 12th 11, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Marie wrote:
http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/Pol...l/article.html

It seems that the police are letting cyclists get away, perhaps they
are cyclists themselves.

Or perhaps very few people cycle illegally on the pavement. A quick
drive down Quarry Hill and High St cited in the article on Google
Streetview shows two bicycles being wheeled on the pavement, one being
cycled on the pavement in a designated cycle lane and that's it. And
its clearly at a busy time of the day and yet nobody is cycling
illegally on the pavement, large sections of which have cycle lanes
painted on them anyway. Perhaps that's why they've fined so few.

Tony

Old March 12th 11, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 12/03/2011 21:20, Tony Raven wrote:
Marie wrote:
http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/Pol...l/article.html

It seems that the police are letting cyclists get away, perhaps they
are cyclists themselves.

Or perhaps very few people cycle illegally on the pavement. A quick
drive down Quarry Hill and High St cited in the article on Google
Streetview shows two bicycles being wheeled on the pavement, one being
cycled on the pavement in a designated cycle lane and that's it. And its
clearly at a busy time of the day and yet nobody is cycling illegally on
the pavement, large sections of which have cycle lanes painted on them
anyway. Perhaps that's why they've fined so few.

Tony

Did you miss this :-
"When the Courier hit the town centre this week, we spotted ten cyclists
in just two hours breaking the rules."
Old March 12th 11, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Tony Dragon wrote:

Did you miss this :- "When the Courier hit the town centre this week,
we spotted ten cyclists in just two hours breaking the rules."

Wow, one every twelve minutes if they weren't using a bit of
exaggeration. Having done a virtual drive down the streets in question
though its a mystery why anyone would want to cycle on the pavement
there. Its narrow, punctuated by lots of junctions, is littered with
shop boards and pedestrians and has to detour round bus shelters, bus
stops, laybys etc. I can't think many cyclists would choose to cycle
there not even on the wonderfully stupid pavement cycle path over the river.

Tony

Old March 12th 11, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 12/03/2011 22:21, Tony Raven wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:

Did you miss this :- "When the Courier hit the town centre this week,
we spotted ten cyclists in just two hours breaking the rules."

Wow, one every twelve minutes if they weren't using a bit of
exaggeration. Having done a virtual drive down the streets in question
though its a mystery why anyone would want to cycle on the pavement
there. Its narrow, punctuated by lots of junctions, is littered with
shop boards and pedestrians and has to detour round bus shelters, bus
stops, laybys etc. I can't think many cyclists would choose to cycle
there not even on the wonderfully stupid pavement cycle path over the
river.

Tony

Well you've got me their, I can't understand why cyclist cycle on the
pavement either.
Old March 13th 11, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian RobertsOn

Tony Dragon wrote:

Did you miss this :- "When the Courier hit the town centre this week,
we spotted ten cyclists in just two hours breaking the rules."

Wow, one every twelve minutes if they weren't using a bit of
exaggeration. Having done a virtual drive down the streets in question
though its a mystery why anyone would want to cycle on the pavement
there. Its narrow, punctuated by lots of junctions, is littered with
shop boards and pedestrians and has to detour round bus shelters, bus
stops, laybys etc. I can't think many cyclists would choose to cycle
there not even on the wonderfully stupid pavement cycle path over the
river.

Tony

Well you've got me their, I can't understand why cyclist cycle on the
pavement either.

Maybe because we sometimes feel safer there being away from four wheeled
psychopaths.

Old March 13th 11, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Tony Dragon wrote:

[...]

Do the pedestrians on the footpath feel safer?
Old March 13th 11, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian RobertsOn

Tony Dragon wrote:

[...]

If it ws impossible for pedestrians and cyclists to share footpaths safely
then there would be no shared footpaths.

Old March 13th 11, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Tony Dragon wrote:

[...]

then there would be no shared footpaths.- Hide quoted text -

Indeed. It would be impossible to ride across the Humber Bridge if
that was the case, as cycling is banned on the A15, so one has to
cycle across the bridge on the shared use path.

It doesn't seem to have caused any undue pedestrian carnage in the 30
years since it opened.
--
Simon Mason
Old March 13th 11, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex Potter

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 01:52:24 -0800, Simon Mason wrote:

Indeed. It would be impossible to ride across the Humber Bridge if that
was the case, as cycling is banned on the A15, so one has to cycle
across the bridge on the shared use path.

Ditto the original Severn Bridge, carrying the M4.

It doesn't seem to have caused any undue pedestrian carnage in the 30
years since it opened.

I don't know about the carnage, or lack thereof.

--
Alex

interesting bit from the police about RLJ cyclists Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 64 May 17th 10 07:10 PM
Police cyclists Tim Hall UK 31 May 2nd 08 06:50 AM
Police fining cyclists for what? KevinS UK 30 February 13th 07 10:49 AM
Police reward cyclists warrwych Australia 2 October 2nd 06 06:17 AM
Police care about cyclists Squashme UK 2 May 12th 06 10:39 AM