looking for a "wrench force" supplier?

Old September 6th 05, 01:26 AM
Bleve

Default looking for a "wrench force" supplier?

I'm looking for some spoke wrenches for my new Bontrager
wheels (I know I'll struggle to fix them when a spoke
breaks, but I still want to be able to try .. the joys of
low spoke count wheels ...). AFAIK, "wrench force"
is the snap-on brand name that Trek/Bontrager are using,
and I have part numbers, but google wasn't very useful.

Anyone here ever seen wrench force stuff in any shops? I'm
going to ask my LBS (Trek dealer) and also the Trek
rep, but any extra hints would be appreciated.

(and, who wants to help me make a wheel press? )

Old September 6th 05, 02:56 AM
Rayc

Bleve wrote:

(and, who wants to help me make a wheel press? )

You're going to press it into the shape of a pretzel?
then try the nearest stormwater drain grating, or a tram track

hahahah

what sorta spoke key you need? regular park black or red? have a spare
black you can have (new too)

ray

ps. bring the wheel around?

Old September 6th 05, 03:07 AM
Bleve

Rayc wrote:
Bleve wrote:

(and, who wants to help me make a wheel press? )

You're going to press it into the shape of a pretzel?

heh, no

(well, not by design ....)

According to Jobst (and at least in this area, I'm inclined
to accept what he says as being accurate), low spoke count wheels
need a -lot- of tension, and bladed spokes are almost impossible
to tension sufficiently without some form of press (or the
spokes tear and twist)

then try the nearest stormwater drain grating, or a tram track

hahahah

what sorta spoke key you need? regular park black or red? have a spare
black you can have (new too)

I don't know... these rims have internal nipples. I'm lead to
believe they're hex wrench jobs. The plan is to have a half
dozen or so spare nipples & spokes, and the tools required to
rebuild the wheel if/when it fails.

ray

ps. bring the wheel around?

I'll bring the whole bike

There's nothing wrong with it (yet) - I just want to be
prepared.

Old September 6th 05, 03:20 AM
Rayc

Mavic have supplied a black plastic circle thing-tool that has cutouts
for bladed spokes with their wheels. Is that the 'press tool' you are
thinking of? I'm sure Pete can get you one, or I can.

ray
ps. Shimano also have a mini spoke key/bladed spoke holder, short
stubby alu tool (for wh-505 wheels), wouldn't want to use it to replace
a whole side of spoke or complete wheel, but handy enough for a fix. In
fact I use mine as a replacement Marzoochi ETA lockout lever on my
forks.

Old September 6th 05, 03:24 AM
Bleve

Rayc wrote:
Mavic have supplied a black plastic circle thing-tool that has cutouts
for bladed spokes with their wheels. Is that the 'press tool' you are
thinking of? I'm sure Pete can get you one, or I can.

I'm lead to believe it's a big (so the whole wheel fits inside it)
press that one uses to (temporarily!) deform the wheel to allow a
spoke to be tightened without excessive torque being required - so
it doesn't twist the spokes.

Tedious, pain in the arse to do, I'm sure, but the only way to
get a bladed, low count wheel true and tight enough. Maybe a
car press or jack could be jerried up to do something
similar?

Old September 6th 05, 03:02 AM
Rayc

second look on bonty site, internal spoke nipples, hmmm might try the
spoke keys from mavic, campag, or gipiemme. But you'll have to look
hard for them. Still I think I've a campy and gipiemme one you can use

ray

Old September 6th 05, 03:21 AM
Bleve

Rayc wrote:
second look on bonty site, internal spoke nipples, hmmm might try the
spoke keys from mavic, campag, or gipiemme. But you'll have to look
hard for them. Still I think I've a campy and gipiemme one you can use

If you're giving away a park spoke wrench, I'll have it, I
need one for my other wheels

Old September 6th 05, 03:24 AM
Rayc

Only cos it's you Carl.

Old September 6th 05, 03:20 AM
SteveA

Bleve Wrote:
I'm looking for some spoke wrenches for my new Bontrager
wheels (I know I'll struggle to fix them when a spoke
breaks, but I still want to be able to try .. the joys of
low spoke count wheels ...). AFAIK, "wrench force"
is the snap-on brand name that Trek/Bontrager are using,
and I have part numbers, but google wasn't very useful.

Anyone here ever seen wrench force stuff in any shops? I'm
going to ask my LBS (Trek dealer) and also the Trek
rep, but any extra hints would be appreciated.

(and, who wants to help me make a wheel press? )

These guys advertise some Wrench Force stuff on the net:
*The Bicycle Store Pty Ltd*
Address: Shop 2, 1 Blackwall Road, Woy Woy NSW 2256 (opposite Railway
Station)
Phone: (02) 4341 3906
Fax: (02) 4341 3098
Email: '