How to get speeding drivers to slow down.

Old May 11th 09, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default How to get speeding drivers to slow down.

This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding and
you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down lest it
kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and shout "speed
trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to the limit. Some
even thank you!

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old May 11th 09, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Toom Tabard

On 11 May, 10:45, "Simon Mason" wrote:
This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding and
you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down lest it
kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and shout "speed
trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to the limit. Some
even thank you!

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

What's equally interesting is that, when I'm driving within the limit,
I get drivers coming the other way, flashing their lights to warn me
that there *is* a mobile camera or police check just down the road.
Some drivers apparently don't think they should co-operate with
measures to make the roads safer for them and others.

Toom
Old May 11th 09, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

On 11 May, 10:52, Toom Tabard wrote:
On 11 May, 10:45, "Simon Mason" wrote:

This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding and
you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down lest it
kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and shout "speed
trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to the limit. Some
even thank you!

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

What's equally interesting is that, when I'm driving within the limit,
I get drivers coming the other way, flashing their lights to warn me
that there *is* a mobile camera or police check just down the road.
Some drivers apparently don't think they should co-operate with
measures to make the roads safer for them and others.

Toom

French drivers are especially good at this. Do you also object to
being overtaken? I was flashed by some woman doing 35mph in a 40mph
zone when I overtook her. Clean overtake, nothing coming, didn't cut
her up, but got the "dickhead" sign. Obviously I had to accelerate
over the speed limit to complete the overtake safely, but that's none
of her business. Interesting when I got out of the car to discuss the
matter at road works a few miles down the road she declined to engage
in conversation.
Old May 13th 09, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On May 11, 11:25*am, Sir Jeremy wrote:
[...]

Of course she did. Such people know damn well that they don't have a
leg to stand on, and that there's nothing rational about their
objection to being overtaken: they simply like to control and impede
others, and they don't like anyone else to benefit from going faster
than them. She's hardly going to admit that.

I overtook someone at night a few weeks ago, without doing anything
remotely wrong or even breaking The Holy Speed Limit, and they decided
to leave their full beam on thereafter (it definitely wasn't a mistake
since they dipped for an oncoming car and then put it back on again).
After a minute or so I'd had enough, so I stopped my car, got out and
waited for them to catch up. Straight away, the full beam went off,
and they hung back and waited for me to get back in and go on my way.
Cowardly scum, the lot of 'em.

I really wish such parasites, who delight in holding people up and
whose attitude problem causes so much collective irritation to so many
other motorists day in day out, would be dealt with properly by the
authorities; unlike most drivers, these people have shown that they
really can't be trusted to act reasonably and actually do need robust
enforcement to be carried out against them (if you believe the car-
haters, it's the "speeders", i.e. all motorists, who are in that
category).
Old May 12th 09, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_3_]

"Toom Tabard" wrote in message
[...]

Speed enforcement isn't road safety. It's the scape goating of a number of
problems on one simplistic factor.

Old May 14th 09, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Light of Aria :
Speed enforcement isn't road safety. It's the scape goating of a number of
problems on one simplistic factor.

Weren't you spewing this drivel in another thread? Would you like to start
with "everyone must get out of my way" here, or with social Darwinism?
--
David Damerell Oil is for sissies
Today is Second Saturday, May - a weekend.
Old May 14th 09, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thaksin

David Damerell wrote:
Quoting Light of Aria :
Speed enforcement isn't road safety. It's the scape goating of a number of
problems on one simplistic factor.

Weren't you spewing this drivel in another thread? Would you like to start
with "everyone must get out of my way" here, or with social Darwinism?

How do you get internet access in your cave? Is it powered by a
pterodactyl running round a wheel?
Old May 14th 09, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On May 14, 4:28*pm, David Damerell
wrote:
Quoting *Light of Aria :

Speed enforcement isn't road safety. It's the scape goating of a number of
problems on one simplistic factor.

Weren't you spewing this drivel in another thread?

It's bad enough that he stated a banned point of view in one thread,
but to do it in *two*.... No wonder there have been so many calls for
moderation, to stop such terrible things happening. (Good job such
calls will amount to nothing, like they always do.)

Would you like to start
with "everyone must get out of my way" here, or with social Darwinism?

You like people getting in motorists' way don't you? Can't have them
having it too easy...their frustration must be maximised, to punish
them for daring to drive when you don't want them to.

What is the problem with wanting to get in front of a slow person when
there's miles of unused roadspace in front of them? Who would want to
keep them sitting behind the slow person except a spiteful person, a
busybody, a car-hater or a control freak?
Old May 13th 09, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On May 11, 10:52*am, Toom Tabard wrote:
On 11 May, 10:45, "Simon Mason" wrote:

This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding and
you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down lest it
kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and shout "speed
trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to the limit. Some
even thank you!

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

What's equally interesting is that, when I'm driving within the limit,
I get drivers coming the other way, flashing their lights to warn me
that there *is* a mobile camera or police check just down the road.
Some drivers apparently don't think they should co-operate with
measures to make the roads safer for them and others.

Yes, it's terrible of them to assume that you've got a pragmatic,
grown-up, non-self-righteous attitude towards speed limits and try to
help you out. I'd much rather all drivers displayed the "Up yours,
everyone else, even though I don't even know any of you" attitude that
some do: holding up long lines of cars, sitting in the wrong lane, not
indicating unless they can see a benefit to themselves, and
*definitely* not warning anyone about speed traps.

How ungrateful you are. And if you really believe that speed cameras
are designed to make the roads safer, you're incredibly gullible.
(OTOH if you're one of the car-haters who believes no such thing but
pretends to, you're much worse.)

I've never seen any Internet forum or newsgroup with as much piety.
Old May 11th 09, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

On 11 May, 10:45, "Simon Mason" wrote:
This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding and
you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down lest it
kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and shout "speed
trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to the limit. Some
even thank you!

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

How do you know the oncoming car is speeding? Have you fitted a speed
gun to you handlebars? What the **** is it to do with you anyway?

Speeding! Unicorn Unicycling 19 September 4th 08 03:14 PM
drivers speeding away nash General 68 February 15th 07 06:13 PM
Another speeding idiot Zog The Undeniable UK 23 January 3rd 05 07:25 PM
Too slow in Italy. How slow? DaveB Australia 2 February 28th 04 09:38 PM
speeding ticket salmoneous General 16 October 18th 03 02:19 AM