funny things to do on a bike

Old May 27th 04, 10:20 PM
Mark Hickey

Default Why they hate us, was ( funny things to do on a bike)

(andres muro) wrote:

There was a titanium bike thread started a few days ago. Not a peep
from Mark to instruct us about titanium. instead he continues to be
entangled in a purely rhetorical exercise, which at this point is most
likely futile to all parties involved.

So, Mark: if you are engaging in this dialogue purely for fun, please
continue, but do not neglect your duties in this group as a ti expert.

Heh... you must mistake me for an OLD ti expert (ahem...). I think it
was Terry Morse who came up with what I believe is the right answer -
the Teledyne (Titan I think...) was the first production ti bike I am
aware of. That was well before I thought about getting into the bike
business (not long after I learned to RIDE a bike actually...). My
recollection is that they were not overly reliable, and that there
were no "braze-ons" but everything (including the down tube shift
bosses) were bolt-ons.

Everyone else: if you are doing this for fun, again, please continue.
However, in reading some of the posts, I can sense the frustration
that some of you may feel.

I hope I don't "sound" frustrated. Far from it.

So, how about some titanium?

Yes, please. Whichever candidate shows up on national news riding a
Habby gets MY vote... ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old May 27th 04, 10:59 PM
G.T.

Mark Hickey wrote:
"G.T." wrote:

"Mark Hickey" wrote

You should come on out to Arizona to find out how much we all like
liberal northeast environmentalists out here, and what their
"environMENTAL" actions have done to HUGE areas of the forest (now
resembling the surface of the moon). With a few forest roads, some
intelligent thinning of trees we wouldn't lose entire ecosystems every
summer.

I don't know what environMENTALists are but environmentalists would have let
the fires burn long before the forests got to be tinderboxes and let nature
run it's course.

That would have probably been the best approach - but it's too late
now unless we want to just burn it all to the ground (literally) and
wait a couple centuries for it to come back to its natural state.

I don't have *quite* that much patience... ;-)

Damn, I didn't set that hook very well.

Greg

Old May 28th 04, 12:50 AM
Tom Sherman

Mark Hickey wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

A lot of the "job growth" over the last two months are positions in
agriculture and construction. In most of the US, these are seasonal
businesses.

So let's see if I understand the principle - during the "off season"
they were "lost jobs" but then during the "on season" they're not "job
growth"....

My point is that a jump in employment due to seasonal factors should not
be seen as a sign of economic recovery or long-term job growth. One
needs to factor out regular seasonal variations to determine the true
employment situation.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old May 28th 04, 03:28 PM
Frank Krygowski

Hunrobe wrote:
Frank Krygowski

wrote:

Hunrobe wrote:

I'll make you a deal, Frank. I'll write him that letter if you'll explain

why

you can use rhetoric but no one else is allowed.

What an odd proposition - considering I never said no one else is
allowed to use rhetoric!

Perhaps it wouldn't seem so odd if you read my post and didn't snip so much as
to lose context.
You wrote:
"The guy who said "You're either with us or against us" (I think that's a
direct quote) doesn't seem to think so. Perhaps you should write him a letter.
If he could learn to perceive shades of grey, he might be
better at his job."
Since we haven't launched any attacks on Spain for instance (they *did*
withdraw their support after all), I trust you'll agree that "You're either
with us or against us." is an obvious overstatement made to emphasize the depth
of conviction.
You then defended another part of your post by claiming you were using a
"rhetorical device".
This combination led me to believe you refuse to grant others the right to use
rhetorical devices hence my offer. Now that you've said that others may use
rhetorical devices I can only assume that either you didn't read what was
written or you expect us to attack Spain in the near future.

There seems to be some confusion here about the difference between
"rhetorical device" and "simplistic and uncompromising foreign policy."

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old June 10th 04, 03:28 AM
Jim West

In article , Mark Hickey wrote:

And you're grasping at straws, and trying to change the subject. The
administration has never linked 9/11 and Iraq, and never used that as
an "excuse for war", contrary to your contention.

Please read this letter that Bush sent to Congress:

http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/pol/terror/03031906.htm

Any comments?

True Cost of a Supermarket Bike Elisa Francesca Roselli General 41 January 25th 04 05:18 AM
Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 03:00 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Best Way to Travel with a Bike on an Airplane F1 General 5 August 14th 03 10:39 PM