Newtouni: Progress Report

Old February 17th 04, 12:57 AM
newtouni

Default Newtouni: Progress Report

Day 4, I think....

For the first time I think that this uni thing is not impossible. I
even pedaled out of an off balance or two. I think I hit 10 feet a few
times. I still have a loooooong way to go. I have about 1.5 hours
practice time in so my progress may be a bit slow based on comments I
have heard here.

Question: Is learning in the grass easier or harder? I think I 'wuss
out' some because I don't want to hit the concret (I'm 42, not 24 and
the hard ground as gotten harder)

Sorry for the boring reports, but learning this thing is exciting to me
and it helps keep me motivated.

Newtouni

--
newtouni
newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465

Old February 17th 04, 01:33 AM
JoChem

That's great that you're making progress. And you are also right to try
and stay motivated because it can be the most frustrating time when
you've had some success but you can't duplicate it. Don't give up!

Also, it depends on what kind of grass. Are we talking about nice,
smooth, even ground or hard, bumpy, uneven ground? Personally, I've
found grass to be harder to ride on. Get some biking gloves (and wrist
guards if you want) and ride on the concrete.

--
JoChem

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously." -Noam Chomsky
JoChem's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5214

Old February 17th 04, 02:44 AM
duaner

my opinion/experience ...

Grass is lots harder to learn on (unless it's like a golf course
green)

I learned at 30 on concrete and never once hit the concrete hard while
learning to ride (maybe I was unussually lucky).

When learning to ride forward on a 20" or 24" uni, it's quite rare to
not land on ones feet, and even then it rare to hit very hard.

The only pain most learners have is from pedals hitting shins and from
ankles hitting cranks.

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old February 17th 04, 03:03 AM
spyder

I'm 42 as well, and have been riding for about a year now. I find
pavement or concrete WAY easier to ride on then grass. As others have
said, when you fall off, you usually land on your feet anyway. Keep
practicing!

--
spyder - Bubbles

There are no stupid questions,
Just stupid people.
spyder's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4190

Old February 17th 04, 03:12 AM
toddw9

newtouni wrote:
*
Question: Is learning in the grass easier or harder?
*

Answer: harder.

If you're riding the occasional 10 footer, it won't be long till you
ride around the block!

--
toddw9 - Danger is my middle name, eh?

-"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do"-
-Henry Ford
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

Old February 17th 04, 03:17 AM
daino149

Grass is much harder to learn on. If you are anything like me or my
friends, it takes a long time before you fall and not land on your feet.
The first time I started to not be able to catch myself was when I was
learning to ride backwards and hop. If you want to be careful, try
wearing some soccer shin guards. I think the most likely place to get
hurt is your shins from the pedals whipping around (it was for me at
least).

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Old February 17th 04, 03:33 AM
newtouni

toddw9 wrote:
*If you're riding the occasional 10 footer, it won't be long till you
ride around the block! *

I needed to hear that. Thanks.

Newtouni

Old February 17th 04, 04:39 AM
fluffinator007

Great Job! I remember learning and as soon as i got to the point where
i could ride to the end of my driveway i VERY quickly was able to ride
to the top of the street every once in awhile and then around the block
every once in awhile. Now I ride 20 miles or so if i go long distance
and I'm doin MUni and Trials and everything much into it. Don't worry
it wont be long now, just keep goin!

--
fluffinator007 - Expert UPD'ist

My image was voted out.
fluffinator007's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4757

Old February 17th 04, 06:15 AM
elmer

I learned at 37 and am 40 now. Funny how I hit the ground more often
and harder now than I did then The good part is I've also gotten
a lot tougher and have yet to get hurt (Tears, yes. Broken
bones/sprains no) You tend to do riskier stuff as skills progress. But
I also remember practicing in 3 and 4 hour spurts. My leg muscles would
be screaming for mercy but I couldn't resist the urge to try "just one
more time". Still can't.

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"Oh, really? How many hours does it have in it?" (My 8 yr. old sons
response to my stating that this was the shortest day of the year.)
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

Old February 17th 04, 07:57 AM
TheBadger587

i've only been unicycling for about a month but my friends look to me to
help teach them... there's not much advice to be given about learning to
go straight, standard mount, etc... the only thing one can say just
"rush it" one day it will click and you'll go from riding 5 feet to
riding 50.

grass is hard for me to ride even on my 24x3 muni... so you arent alone
on that one

if your worried about falling, get protective gear most falls. i dont
have any, so my shins and elbows are scabbed up pretty badly. oh well...
no blood no glory, right?

--
TheBadger587
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

Newtouni: Day Two newtouni Unicycling 8 February 15th 04 05:03 PM
Progress Report Catboy Unicycling 3 February 1st 04 08:54 AM
Knee surgery progress report jpcycler Unicycling 35 January 19th 04 03:28 PM