Bottle holder broken during downhill

Old April 29th 05, 04:10 PM
Fast Turtle

Default Bottle holder broken during downhill

Has anyone seen something like this ?

Yesterday evening, I was riding downhill at about 50 km/h on a bumpy
road, with a stiff road bike with skinny tires (all these details to
tell you that it _was_ bumpy). Suddenly, I heard a big noise and
looking down I saw that my bottle holder was gone, together with a
nearly full aluminum bottle. The guy who was following 50 cm behind me
on a mountain bike (which I found foolish in the first place on such a
road) probably had the fear of his lifetime but did not crash. I don't
even know whether he was hit or not. But it happened so fast that if
he was not then it was just pure luck.
The bottle holder broke at the weld between the cage tubing and the
plate which is screwed to the frame.

I wouldn't like this to happen with me in the pack at the Sunday
morning club ride.

Turtle
Old April 29th 05, 09:44 PM
maxo

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:10:33 -0700, Fast Turtle wrote:

Has anyone seen something like this ?

metal fatigue, especially along welds? Sure. Must have been scary for the
guy behind you.

I once had two 1.5L bottles of Polish sparkling mineral water fly off the
back of my m/c at 50mph on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. I had the pleasure
of watching them explode on the roadway and the look of horror on the
driver behind me. Needless to say, I got a "bungee net" the next day...

I've been hating my old plastic Specialized cages from the eighties, but
now they're starting to look good. :P

Old April 30th 05, 06:59 AM
bbaka

maxo wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:10:33 -0700, Fast Turtle wrote:

Has anyone seen something like this ?

metal fatigue, especially along welds? Sure. Must have been scary for the
guy behind you.

I once had two 1.5L bottles of Polish sparkling mineral water fly off the
back of my m/c at 50mph on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. I had the pleasure
of watching them explode on the roadway and the look of horror on the
driver behind me. Needless to say, I got a "bungee net" the next day...

I've been hating my old plastic Specialized cages from the eighties, but
now they're starting to look good. :P

I have had two incidents with water bottles and holders. One holder, a
cheap one with thin wire was killed when my grandson stepped on it
trying to get onto the center bar for a ride. Now I buy only LBS welded
thick steel holders and they don't break, they don't even give when I
stuff in an oversize plastic bottle. The other incident was similar last
Monday when I went from pavement to dirt at maybe 25 or 30 MPH and the
bottle bounced out just before I hit the 'Emergency' brakes. Washboard
roads and high speeds with no suspension make for some really nasty
rides. After I went back and got the bottle I drove the gravel and
potholes much more carefully and had no more incidents. I have seen some
Chinese holders at Wal-mart that appear to have rubber bungie cords to
hold the bottles in place but since I am not trying to support China or
Wal-mart I have not tried one yet.
The best bottles I have are on the fat side and have to be squeezed into
the non forgiving metal cages, and don't fly out on big bumps. I may fly
off the bike but I am reasonably sure the bottle would still be there
after I picked myself up.
If you are going for seriously bumpy off road stuff you might want to
try some rubber bungie cord tricks to secure the bottles, kind of
Fred-ish, but it might work.
Bill (Semi-Fred) Baka
Old April 30th 05, 07:17 AM
Rich

bbaka wrote:

The other incident was similar last
Monday when I went from pavement to dirt at maybe 25 or 30 MPH

Or maybe 10 or 11 MPH.
Old April 30th 05, 07:29 AM
bbaka

Rich wrote:
bbaka wrote:

The other incident was similar last Monday when I went from pavement
to dirt at maybe 25 or 30 MPH

Or maybe 10 or 11 MPH.

Definitely faster. Fast enough on pavement but my mind did not switch to
dirt mode fast enough. I was coming down a maybe 10% downhill on the
pavement and it just did a sudden break into the dirt/gravel mix. Damn
near knocked my fillings out.
If you ever get a capable bike I will post the exact route and you can
try riding it and get a little humility going.
I have had serious motorcycle road rash at 80 MPH so a little 25 MPH
road rash is not going to slow me down except for those damn jagged rocks.
Bill Baka
Old April 30th 05, 08:07 AM

Twice I have had the top screw come out of a water bottle cage, then it
tips over into the path of the cranks. When they meet, the cage
became a twisted maze of junk wires.

Bottle cage jacket holder - revisited MSA UK 12 March 23rd 05 07:19 PM
F/S: Velocity clamp on bottle cage holder Mariano pacini Marketplace 0 December 6th 04 04:27 PM
Anyone dealt with a broken fibula? Dora Smith General 20 July 30th 04 01:00 AM
Bottle Holder? daino149 Unicycling 7 November 23rd 03 09:03 AM
Water bottle you don't have to tip up Dan Musicant General 9 July 23rd 03 06:51 PM