Rear-View Mirrors

Old February 4th 09, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

Default Rear-View Mirrors

On Feb 1, 5:03*pm, "david" wrote:

I have never tried helmet/ glasses mounted types, they do not appeal.
Of the bicycle mounted ones the best by far is the original Mirycle. These
can only be fitted to non aero road levers, which suits me well becase 3 of
my bicycles have these levers.

I have one, too, bought within the last 5 years or so. It was a pain
to put on, involving drilling out the cable guide and other non-
reversible steps. If I'd known all the steps, I wouldn't have bought
it, in fact. Besides that, the mirror has a lot of mass compared to a
more modern mirror such as a Cateye 7cm mtb mirror (which I've adapted
to my other drop-bar bikes) so it goes out of adjustment easily unless
very tight.

And to weigh in on the noise issue, I can't tell the difference
between a hybrid or straight diesel bus approaching from behind,
whether it's on battery or not. Tire and air noise are by far the
biggest factors.
Old February 4th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Alan Hoyle

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 13:40:40, PatTX wrote:
:
: I have no problem at all with people who say they don't need them. I
: have no problem with people who say they've tried them but don't like
: them, or can't get the hang of them. But I think the "oh ****"
: vitriol they attract is pretty weird!
:
: - Frank Krygowski

That's my position, too. I don't care if people use or do not use mirrors. I
won't say that makes better or worse than other people. Hell, it doesn't
affect me if you use a mirror--or don't. Why the vitriol on this subject?
It's just a personal preference.

BTW: The "Take a Look" mirror is well-made. It's the best mirror I've seen.

I feel the same way. I don't have neck flexibility issues (except in
the winter when I'm wearin my coat for the commute). Also in winter,
when I'm wearing a hat to cover my ears, I simply can't hear as well.
I tend to use my mirror for quick glances to see if I should even
bother trying to change lanes for turns or to see if there's anyone
coming up on me in the next 10 seconds or so.

I use a Take a Look mirror mounted on my cheap-o sunglasses. It's well
made enough that it's outlasted 3 pairs of glasses.

http://www.rei.com/product/752285

Note that the picture on that page has the mirror rotated 90 degrees
counter-clockwise so that it would interfere with your field of view.

The only issue I have with it is that some styles of glasses have
temples that are incompatible with the mounting mechanism. if you
have round temples, it tends to rotate our of position.

A friend of mine has a mirror that another friend of hers makes. He's
a dentist and makes mirrors out of old dental mirrors.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Old February 4th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_2_]

Alan Hoyle wrote:
::
:: The only issue I have with it is that some styles of glasses have
:: temples that are incompatible with the mounting mechanism. if you
:: have round temples, it tends to rotate our of position.

Alan, remove the little rubber covers supplied with the mirror and replace
them with the "heat shrink" tubing. I did this and they helped the fit with
my Rideon sun glasses which have a triangular temple.

Pat in TX

Old February 4th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
david

I haven't had the problems you mentioned with my Mirycles, perhaps it
depends on the levers, mine are shimano 600 and suntour superbe. The superbe
was easy to install. Over the years I have damaged a few, never breaking the
mirror, just the stems which are easily damaged. However replacement parts
are available, and I have only needed 3 stems in 25 years. I am interested
to know have you have adapted the cateye for a road bike.

Old February 5th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chris[_12_]

On Feb 1, 2:38*pm, blanny wrote:
Chris wrote in news:768e847e-02c4-4107-8f45-
:

Never used one and I doubt I ever will. They are distracting and block
part of your field of view.

Your second sentence contradicts your first sentence. *Not to be taken
seriously, I guess.

Sorry the extrapolation was too much to fathom. I have never used one /
on a bike/.

I've worked in bike shops for years, and have tried several brands and
models. I was displeased with all of them and found them too
unreliable to be relied upon for safety.

Chris
Old February 5th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chris[_12_]

On Feb 1, 9:44 pm, SMS wrote:
Yeah, his attitude reminds me of "G-d said it, I believe it, and that
settles it."

My opinion is based on years of experience as a bicycle retailer and
as a bicycle rider. I’ve tried a variety of makes and models of
mirrors, and disliked them from the onset enough to not want them on
my helmet, glasses (which I do not wear), or handle bars. They bounce,
move out of alignment, and block your field of vision in the area I
want to see most of my peripheral vision, front left to avoid left
turning cars.

Again, /my opinion/.

A mind is a terrible thing to close.

Let us know when you stop judging people for having an informed
opinion with experience. Until then, the statement applies to you, not
me.

Chris
Old February 6th 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
"Roger Zoul" writes:

Shoulder checking both to the left and right without
swerving is an easily-enough acquired bicycle riding
basic skill (with practice.) Once one has the skill,
one doesn't really need to rely upon redundant
accoutrements along with their limitations, in order
to lazily avoid a little initial effort and practice.
And it seems to me, the more skills a rider acquires,
the more empowered he or she becomes.

Looking at the thing itself instead of its reflection
gives the advantage of depth perception, and avoids
certain optical effects impinged by mirrors, such as
image darkening, washing-out of certain colours, and
distorted image sizes ("objects in mirror are closer
than they appear.")

Wow....spew total nonsense. A simple glance at a mirror is enough to
know
all you need for the given situation. It not as though you need to read a
PhD disseration in a mirror.

If one is going to use use a mirror, one might as
well be aware of its limitations -- what to expect,
and what not to expect of it.

Shoulder checking also enables a rider to make
eye-contact communication with fellow road/street
users behind, and signals that the shoulder checking
rider is about to change his vector -- perhaps for
a lane change, perhaps for a turn. /That's/ what
looking rearward is for, not for seeing if some
intangible threat is there, like the Boogie Man
hiding under one's bed.

Why would someone using a mirror not shoulder check? Do you assume that
because the mirror is there that the rider isn't going to move his/her
head
to check what's in the spot right next to him/her?

In that case, the mirror is a redundant accessory.
If the rider has already looked directly, why would
he then use the mirror?

It's not at all redundant because you can also check your rear quickly
without moving your head to actually look behind you. There are plenty of
times were all you need to know is what is behind you...you may not be ready
to change your position on the road, but you can still know what's there. A
single glance that takes only an instant, with no need to look behind. It's
call situational awareness and it is quite obvious from your comments that
you have no idea about this.

I confess to having a handlebar mirror on my main bike.
It's convenient for quick, half-the-story glances.
Sometimes it reassures me that the top of my cargo trailer
is still on, and my laundry isn't flying out all over the
street, while I still keep an eye on what's up ahead.

So you're using a mirror, then. It enhances your situational awareness,
but
you don't depend on it totally.

Exactly!

You have a full range of senses and your
vision is a very powerful one. If you eyes are open then they can
collection
information over a continuum of different possible positions. It's
powerful, not otherwise.

There have been occasions where other riders have
passed me on my right, threading the needle between
me and a line of parked cars, through the door zone.
I guess they want to show off how fast they are, but
they're scared to venture deeper into where the cars go.
I confess to being caught by surprise a few times by
this stupid maneouver. I'm wise to it now. It usually
happens when the fair-weather riders come out of the
woodwork.

My handlebar mirror gives no indication of this when
it's incipient. A shoulder-check to the ~right~, would.
One has to be alert to the presence of upcoming other riders,
as well as cars. Especially when riders pull boneheaded
stunts such as I described above. In those situations,
I maintain "a simple glance at a mirror is enough to know
all you need for the given situation" just doesn't cut
the mustard.

You can maintain all you like, but you still clueless.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Old February 6th 09, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message
"Roger Zoul" considered Mon, 2 Feb 2009
11:40:53 -0500 the perfect time to write:

"Tom Keats" wrote in message

Any other sage advice for a mirror neophyte?

Learn to not use one before you do. And never
trust a mirror to give you the full picture.

If by that you mean to always turn our head to check before making a lane
change, then I agree. However, a mirror can give you a much better state
of
situational awareness if properly used. However, where humans are
concerned
there is always the chance for error.

When I was training novice motorcyclists we used to remove their
mirrors until they'd learned to look over their shoulders
appropriately and safely.
Some people just WON'T learn as long as the mirror is there.

With people you always have to assume that they will never act exactly the
right way all the time. We are not robots. That's why I try to do a quick
glance to my side right before shifting positions even though I almost
always know what the situation is...because I check my rear frequently using
the mirror. This, for me, is just being extra cautious because I like riding
and living and not being hurt and the cost to be extra careful is basically
zero. I mean, what else am I doing that I can't bother to glance to my
side?

Old February 6th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

Frank Krygowski wrote:

But the incidents that first tempted me to use a mirror involved
passing cars. Yes, I can usually hear upcoming cars (assuming the
wind isn't too strong), but I realized that I couldn't tell if I was
being passed by one car or two, or how closely I was being passed.
And when riding our pothole minefields, I found it very handy to know
whether a passing car was moving clear to the next lane or not. I can
easily tell these things with an eyeglass mirror.

I like the rear view mirrors for these reasons as well. I use the
basic ones attached to the handlebar. I don't wear a helmet and
the one's attached to glasses seem to strain my eye.

I don't need to be able to read a book using the mirrors. Just
quick scans of the situation behind to help me decide how I'm
going to ride the road conditions ahead of me (i.e. primarily
taking the lane for, say, parked cars, or holding tight a little
while longer).

They almost certainly aren't going to save my life by helping me
get out of the way of someone about to run me down although they
may help me detect someone driving erratically before they actually
get close.

And it's a lot easier to just glance in the rear view rather than
turn my head. The shoulder check should be de rigeur for crossing
the road to prep for a left turn though.

I have no problem at all with people who say they don't need them. I
have no problem with people who say they've tried them but don't like
them, or can't get the hang of them. But I think the "oh ****"
vitriol they attract is pretty weird!

Yea, I think it's a bit strange too.

SMH
Old February 6th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DougC

wrote:
Mike Yankee wrote:

A mirror mounted on your glasses will likely be more stable than one
on your helmet. I've used such a mirror for years and it's saved my
ass a few times; I feel naked riding without it.

As I have often mentioned, try reading this text with your head turned
so that the angle of vision replicates looking into a glasses or
helmet mounted mirror, and tell me if you can read it. I cannot
decipher text with one eye at such an angle, something that tells me
the method does not replicate using mirrors in a car. Even those
mirrors are not fool proof as a driver's test will reveal. One must
turn the head and look to the rear or fail the test.

Beyond that, I must assume the mirror folk don't hear well so they
have no idea what is approaching from behind. As may be apparent, I'm
no advocate of head mounted mirrors. I believe they are reserved for
the paranoid just as the HID headlights (some even flashing) that burn
my eyes in broad daylight all to often.

I use a mirror. No helmet.

I ride recumbents, though. Head-mount rear-view mirrors work very well
on them. On an upright bike you may only see your own shoulder depending
on how far forward you are hunched over, and that's generally not of
much safety benefit.

The "hearing" issue you note is interesting.
I bought some hearing-mufflers and found that on a recumbent, they
didn't work very well at all. On a recumbent one's head is upright or
tilted back, while on an upright bike your head is tilted over forward.

------

Also, I am a Mutha ****in Pimp. YMMV.
~

rear view helmet mirrors [email protected][_2_] Techniques 68 May 6th 07 03:36 PM
rear view mirrors [email protected] Australia 16 May 4th 07 08:32 AM
Electronic rear view maf UK 2 March 21st 06 07:11 PM
Rear view mirror yum Techniques 20 March 8th 05 07:43 PM
Roadies, do you use rear-view mirrors Sheldon Brown General 122 December 3rd 03 01:28 AM